American Family Association | Gay Parents | News

AFA Claims JC Penney Is Blocking Their Anti-Gay Emails

JCPenneyGayDads

Like other right wing groups, the American Family Association has been hounding JC Penney over the retailer's support of same-sex parents and LGBT rights. And if a recent email to AFA supporters is any indication, JC Penney is intent on ignoring the anti-gay organization.

From that email:

It is obvious that JCP is promoting the normalization of homosexual marriage.

AFA encourages your family to avoid shopping at JCP at least through Father's Day.

TAKE ACTION
1. Call Penney's corporate office at 972-431-1000 and let them know you family will not be shopping their stores this Father's Day (or beyond).

2. Call, or visit your local store manager. Local managers are more likely to listen to your concerns and pass them along to the corporate office. You can find the phone number of your local store here, or in your local phone directory.

3. Because JCP blocks emails from our server, you can send your own personal email to Penney's at jcpcorpcomm@jcpenney.com.

Clearly AFA isn't as committed to a JC Penney as another outraged group, One Million Moms. Notice that the AFA email reads, "avoid shopping at JCP at least through Father's Day."

JC Penney has repeatedly insisted they won't be kowtowing to conservative wingnuts.

Comments

1. Great Job JCP!!! keep going!

Posted by: Zo | Jun 14, 2012 10:15:23 AM

2. "...and if they don't start reading our identically-worded e-mails we're going to hold our breath until we turn blue, or at least until father's day."

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Jun 14, 2012 10:15:56 AM

3. FYI, The AFA and One Million Moms are the same organization...

Posted by: BM | Jun 14, 2012 10:17:01 AM

4. PLEASE. Take a min to call JC Penney's customer service number 972-431-1000 and thank them for accurately portraying real Americans . For every 2 positive phones calls, they are getting 100 negative calls. EVERY ounce of support we can offer companies that tale a courageous stance...we need to offer praise with our checkbooks and our calls.
    Thank you...and ....just do it

Posted by: Brian from Cincinnati | Jun 14, 2012 10:24:31 AM

5. Too bad we can block the flow of blood to their brains, but maybe that's already happened.

Posted by: Jack M | Jun 14, 2012 10:28:22 AM

6. Now if we could get the media to block these hate groups as well...

Posted by: Michaelandfred | Jun 14, 2012 10:30:29 AM

7. Now if we could get the media to block these hate groups as well...

Posted by: Michaelandfred | Jun 14, 2012 10:30:29 AM

8. just last month they were bragging about how much damage they had done to JCP with their boycott nonsense, so why do they even care if they arent getting their emails.

Posted by: MrJ | Jun 14, 2012 10:32:28 AM

9. This is no different from ignoring emails from other hate groups like the KKK. The loud screams these people are making are just their last wails. They are losing a battle. Scream all you want haters. It just makes you look ignorant.

Posted by: Sean | Jun 14, 2012 10:33:15 AM

10. If there was a JCP in the city of Chicago I would shop there exclusively. Instead, I will order online to show my support of their support. Good job!!!

Posted by: FernLaPlante | Jun 14, 2012 10:37:18 AM

11. If there was a JCP in the city of Chicago I would shop there exclusively. Instead, I will order online to show my support of their support. Good job!!!

Posted by: FernLaPlante | Jun 14, 2012 10:37:27 AM

12. I just emailed Penney's a thank you note for their support. I'll be giving them my financial support too.

Posted by: David in Houston | Jun 14, 2012 10:40:01 AM

13. Just shopped at JCP last week. First time in ages; motivated by their support of the GLBT community.

Posted by: Mitch | Jun 14, 2012 10:41:49 AM

14. Well it does say "let them know you family will not be shopping their stores this Father's Day (or beyond)." so they're at least willing to let ALL fathers have a break. So they are equal opportunity after all ;)

Posted by: Lou Gagliardi | Jun 14, 2012 10:42:36 AM

15. Too bad their #s are tanking over their "fair and square" campaign with the eradication of clearance sales. :-/

Posted by: Stephen Victor | Jun 14, 2012 10:44:39 AM

16. I went into my local JCP and made a purchase last week. I asked the young sales person if she had heard of OMM. "Oh, yeah. We were just talking about them." I told her that I heard that their latest complaint was about the two dads. "That's discrimination!" she indignantly replied. I asked her to tell her manager that the only reason I made my purchase was to say that I don't agree with OMM. She said that she would.

I could use some more shorts. May we could make this "Buy Some Shorts Saturday." Who's with me?

Posted by: TJ | Jun 14, 2012 10:46:13 AM

17. And FYI: While I was shopping there, no fewer than three people asked if merchandise was on sale. The sales associates tried to explain the new pricing policy. People seemed confused. Annectdotal, but this is what legitimate sources say is the reason for dipping sales. Not OMM.

Posted by: TJ | Jun 14, 2012 10:50:35 AM

18. I just called the 972-431-1000 phone number to investigate.

JCP is getting bombarded with negative phone calls... And JCP appreciated my favorable communication to tell them that JCP is doing the right thing ...supporting the lgbt community with their ads.

I told JCP..that I have not shopped at JCP for almost 38 years (since being a kid in boy scouts). NOW, I will make an extra special effort be a customer and to go buy stuff from JCP immediately this month....

I work for as in financial analysis and planning group for a major national retailer.
    And...These sort of favorable encouraging calls are important because JCP likely keeps a tally (like legislators in politics). A business strategist figures how many favorable and unfavorable communications arrive. Thereafter, statisticians review #s of callers vs population demographics to determine further efforts with their actions to support their Ad campaign.

Please call them with a favorable ...thank you for their LGBT efforts (and give them your zip code).

Posted by: CLW | Jun 14, 2012 10:55:51 AM

19. Just ordered my mom a $250 gift card for her birthday, support JCP for supporting me!!

Posted by: Marvin | Jun 14, 2012 11:01:06 AM

20. A gift card is a great idea--especially for the more homophobic family members who might not shop at JCP because of the gay-affirming ads: pure profit if the cards aren't used!

Posted by: Sean in Dallas | Jun 14, 2012 11:40:41 AM

21. Did my part--I went Monday and bought two pairs of jeans and a casual shirt. Would've bought more if there was more stuff I liked in my size.
    (TIP to JCP: gay men are less likely to be obese, so stock up on those Small & Mediums and less on xtra larges!)
    They had some GOOD deals on jeans if you're looking. Claibornes at 22 bucks!

Posted by: RaleighRob | Jun 14, 2012 11:51:02 AM

22. Thanks for the phone number.

I just called as a straight ally to thank JCP for their LGBT support. I let them know that their stance had brought me back to their store and I made several purchased that I was quite happy with.

Posted by: Rand Medley | Jun 14, 2012 12:37:45 PM

23. Another case of the kettle calling the pot black. The anti-gay Christians block any and everything having to do with gays.

Posted by: Dave | Jun 14, 2012 1:10:34 PM

24. Just called them, the young lady was very glad to hear some good support.

Posted by: steven | Jun 14, 2012 1:41:49 PM

25. Just sent them a very nice email. I shop pretty much exclusively there now.

Posted by: Grover Underwood | Jun 14, 2012 1:55:06 PM