Adam Lambert | Music | News

Adam Lambert Embracing Life as a Gay Role Model: VIDEO

Lambert

Adam Lambert gives an interview to Billboard, telling them that when he was starting out in his career he didn't really understand how to fill the part in gay culture that people were asking him to play, but now he's beginning to understand:

"At the beginning I was a little bit like, 'I don't know what to say, I don't know how to be that role model,' even though all of a sudden people are telling me I am. One of the things I find very gratifying now is that I have grown a lot more comfortable with my position and I'm embracing the opportunity to be able to address this stuff through music..."In so many cases, I find myself saying, I wanna be the really nice down-to-earth guy who happens to be gay in order to set an example that it's not threatening. Then there's another part of me that's like, no I wanna be fierce and ... do whatever I want because I'm a rebel. I have that battle inside of me. I know a lot of people do."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. If he would like us to take him off the "role model" list (if he thinks he is one) we'd be more than happy to. I think he would make a better employee of the month at JCPenney's cosmetics counter. The hair and makeup makes him a stand out!

Posted by: Geoff | Jun 25, 2012 6:23:07 PM

2. He is so, so much more attractive without all that crazy makeup.

Posted by: atomic | Jun 25, 2012 6:28:16 PM

3. He is a talented young man. He should be seen as one of many solid LGBT role models. No one person fills those shoes.We need a diversity of role models for our very diverse LGBT community.

Posted by: andrew | Jun 25, 2012 6:44:53 PM

4. Cool young man who has a lot of people looking up to him. I wish him the best in all of his endeavors.

Posted by: WayneMPLS | Jun 25, 2012 6:51:43 PM

5. Do gay men need another role model to show them how to be effeminate queens, replete with rings in ears, mascara, big hair, wild hand motions, and a "sweet" voice that regularly uses the word "fierce"?

Is seeing another gay man behave that way going to change society's opinion of us?

Jeez.

Posted by: Rick | Jun 25, 2012 7:00:25 PM

6. I like the way he describes the "normal" vs. "fierce rebel" aspects of who some of us are.

Posted by: David R. | Jun 25, 2012 7:57:29 PM

7. Go Jeez. Adam says he has a "rebel" in him. I think today that translates to "egomaniac."

Posted by: Josh | Jun 25, 2012 8:28:26 PM

8. I am always amazed by the hateful comments on this site. Can you imagine what we could accomplish as a community if we actually supported one another instead of trying to deliver the most catty, clever and cynical smack downs ever?
    Adam is beautiful, talented and has a strong sense of self. He is also one of the nicest guys you could ever want to meet. Some of the commenters here could learn a thing or two from him.

Posted by: Larry | Jun 25, 2012 8:29:33 PM

9. You better work, Diva. :) Or, "excellent job, sir." See? both work.

Posted by: Cameron Johnson | Jun 25, 2012 8:31:06 PM

10. Wow. It's shocking how people in this site find it so easy to make hateful comments towards other LGBT people.
    I am not a fan of Adam's music, BUT I do think he did a good job putting in words what I also think it's an inner fight for a lot of LGBT youth. So I commend him for trying to find a balance. I hope some LGBT youth may find a model to follow in that regard and that is good.
    One more thing. I feel ashamed when I read comments despising the very same diversity we ask straight people to respect. Appalling.

Posted by: ElCid | Jun 25, 2012 8:50:53 PM

11. We need a diversity of role models for the diversity of our young LGBT's. All should be valued.

Posted by: andrew | Jun 25, 2012 9:01:16 PM

12. That person looks like a freak and is definitely NOT a role model to anyone.

Posted by: DB | Jun 25, 2012 9:06:11 PM

13. Smart AND talented. His voice still gives me goosebumps.

What would life have been like if he was around when I was 15? or if I was 15 now? or whatever.

Posted by: KevinVT | Jun 25, 2012 9:17:47 PM

14. Larry: There are plenty of jobs for Sunday School teachers available.
    Do all straights get along? I prefer to live in the real world. I'm no "role model" for straight people. I'm not changing my behavior for straights, just so YOU can get what YOU want. Gays have always lived free and independent, not worrying or concerned about someone else's wedding cake.

Posted by: Josh | Jun 25, 2012 9:20:31 PM

15. Not his job to change society's opinion of anything. But, if he does, he'll do it by continuing to be smart, talented, and himself, which means upsetting a few men who suffer from internalized homophobia.

Heard Adam interviewed at length on Canadian radio recently. He was completely self-possessed, mature, gracious. And he's obviously got the vocal chops, whether you like his music or not. (I think a few songs on his new CD are breathtaking.) So, yes, he is a role model, and quite a good one at the moment. Long may he prosper as an out guy being himself.

Posted by: Ernie | Jun 25, 2012 9:24:59 PM

16. DB: he is a role model for some young people in our LGBT community. Why not try to be open to the diversity?

Posted by: andrew | Jun 25, 2012 9:31:06 PM

17. Too bad life wasn't a PTA meeting. This talk about internalized homophobia. People didn't have any trouble coming out in the last century. And I think they got a lot more action -- less idol worship as today. Much more uptight today, thus the desire for a single partner to hide with the rest of their lives.

Posted by: Sean | Jun 25, 2012 10:08:38 PM

18. None of us represent the entire rainbow but each of us is an important part of it.

Posted by: andrew | Jun 25, 2012 10:09:16 PM

19. Sean, you are nuts. People in the last century were oftentimes arrested for simply being gay. Also, one needn't be "hiding" to be happy with a single partner. Totally gross comments from you.

Posted by: fedorajoe | Jun 25, 2012 11:22:56 PM

20. @Sean, you might want to have that severe amnesia checked out by a medical professional.

Posted by: Ernie | Jun 25, 2012 11:35:49 PM

21. No thanks. I find Adam to be creepy and odd. Plus his music stinks (which probably explains why his album is flopping.)

Role model? Eh. I think he needs to focus more on himself first, because Adam comes off like a cartoon character. He's a wannabe male version of Lady Gaga; again, no thanks.

Posted by: Dax | Jun 25, 2012 11:40:44 PM

22. No one was arrested. I don't know what propaganda you've been reading. In the 70's, 80's and 90's we were not arrested. We were out. Free. I was there! Never saw that in Boston, Miami, NYC or LA.
    Timid is not sexy. Lighten up Fedora.

Posted by: Jack | Jun 25, 2012 11:41:59 PM

23. He's an amazing talent. Good for him.

THE biggest homophobes in society are homosexuals themselves. The venom gays spew at one another is repulsive!

Posted by: Yen Torch | Jun 26, 2012 12:39:46 AM

24. Love him. What a gifted guy, with a raw talent and has clearly pursued his dreams- even while being different, even while not being standard and typical..he went after his goals and achieved them. I applaud this young man.

Posted by: James Dorchen | Jun 26, 2012 12:40:43 AM

25. Some gay men can see another gay man succeed and celebrate his success knowing it's more visibility for the community, it's one step closer to seeing our story told, it's ONE OF OUR OWN making it, and there's one gay young person out there who can see him and be motivated and inspired. Those gays are called well adjusted.

Then there's the self hating gay who likes to rip every fellow gay apart and then claim it's not self hate. Accept it...it's self hate coupled with bitterness. Check yourself.

Posted by: Real Talk | Jun 26, 2012 12:42:36 AM