Comments

1. Michaelandfred says

I won’t hold my breath, but a 6-3 ruling would go a long way towards showing the country that we are on the right side of history. If I was Roberts I’d also be a bit irritated that while it might be “my” court, for most of America it’s Kennedy’s.

2. Disgusted American says

plus Robert’s has 2 younger kids….like 14yrs old or so……so his legacy will be left to them

3. Alan says

Bill Clinton and Eliot Spitzer in the same blog post. Between Bill’s Oval Office fellatio and Eliot’s high class hookers, you’d think there was a war on women going on.

4. BobN says

People underestimate why Roberts was put where he is. He’ll never vote for our rights.

5. anon says

The Nebraska case still hasn’t made it to the SC, so this hot potato may take some time to get a grip on.

6. gr8guyca says

I heard an interesting point that Roberts has two adopted sons and might have a more open view than other conservatives. He may not buy into the “every child needs a mother and a father.” He might feel that every adopted child needs a loving home – regardless of the sexes of the parents.

Also:

In a larger sense, has the Supreme Court ever taken away a civil right that thousands of people currently have? I can’t think of an example of that.

In 10 – 20 years, the country will be 70/30 for gay marriage. The opposition is dying off. This is not a movement that will go away.

What will happen if the Supreme Court denies equal marriage? I predict a DC march of millions of people. It will be the greatest public blow to the authority of the Supreme Court in history.

7. Michael says

What I don’t understand is how ANY of the Justices could rule it was constitutional to deny gay marriage. Marriage is a civil right and our constitution specifically states all men are granted equal civil rights. WTF?

8. Matt says

We all know that the only way gay marriage will ever be resolved is through SCOTUS. Truthfully, I don’t think a 7-2 vote for is unreasonable. Why? You only have Scalia and Thomas who have decent records as actual homophobes, but Roberts and Alito are completely different stories. Roberts played a role in Romer v. Evans, and Alito has always been for sexual privacy (ironic that he replaced O’Connor, the woman who thrusted this nation into 17 years of darkness in 1986). But of course, this is all just speculation. However, no matter how it goes, I believe it will work out in our favor. If SCOTUS rules for it, there may be a small uprising, but it will fade away, and the issue will be settled, and I believe most people will end up very content that it’s not an issue anymore. If SCOTUS rules against it, that decision will put the marriage equality movement on steroids, so much so, SCOTUS may have to review another marriage case within 10 years, and that time, they will make the right decision.

I just hope that the court doesn’t allow itself to be politicized, because that’s the key to an immediate victory.