Colorado | Gay Marriage | News

BigGayDeal.com

Gay Son of Colorado Lawmaker Who Voted Against Civil Unions is Outed by Campaign Manager

Colorado GOP Rep. Marsha Looper's campaign manager forwarded an email to supporters praising her decision to vote down civil unions. The email revealed that she has a gay son, the Denver Post reports:

LooperIt's no secret at the state Capitol that Looper is one of at least four House Republicans with a gay child, but an unwritten courtesy has been to let the lawmaker be the one to publicly reveal that information.

Looper said she has been asked by some voters about her son's sexuality and has answered honestly, but never meant for it to become so public.

"I'm very, very disappointed," Looper said, of the e-mail making its way among El Paso County voters. "These are are very intimate issues. I love my son. I always will. He has said, 'Mom, I want my privacy.'"

Openly gay House Minority Leader Mark Ferrandino, the sponsor of the civil unions bill, asked the Post: "I wonder if her son appreciates being used in this way."

Added Looper in a statement to the paper: "I am disappointed that my campaign manager forwarded an e-mail that would include any member of my family in policy discussions."

Comments

1. She loves her son, but won't give him basic rights...some "het" love there. Does she even know what "love" is?

Posted by: woodroad34d | Jun 11, 2012 8:23:30 AM

2. Pathetic.

She doesn't even think her son is good enough for the unequal civil union.

Posted by: kpo5 | Jun 11, 2012 8:26:58 AM

3. I don't buy that she didn't know anything about the email. Had she not known anything and even remotely cared about her son, she would have fired the guy responsible immediately and not have released some lame ass "I'm very disappointed" crap.

Posted by: karin1492 | Jun 11, 2012 8:36:34 AM

4. fku fku fku and your "intimate issues." your vote is fkg with a LOT of people's "intimate issues" you hypocrite. How you like it when your intimate life is politicized? Not very nice, is it? Maybe that gives you just a teeny-weeny little insight into what people like you put gay people through? Huh? Maybe...?

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Jun 11, 2012 8:37:45 AM

5. what a wonderful way to let her son know that he's unloved, and unworthy of respect and dignity and equality in America.

Don Coram is in the same boat - gay son, voted against civil unions.

What lousy examples of parents, Americans, and human beings.

"Mom, I want my privacy?"

Yeah Right. Spoken like a true child of republicans - of course he wants his privacy, she as his lousy c**t of a mother has made it very clear to him that his life as a gay man is a long journey to be walked ALONE. THOSE are the people who want "privacy" - those who do not get support and get championed by the people who are supposed to love them.

Send her an email on facebook.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jun 11, 2012 8:41:10 AM

6. You have to pity her child, as he's not responsible for what she does in office.

He probably just wants to stay out of it, and get back to sorting out his life... which doesn't sound like it has much parental support.

Posted by: JAMES in Toronto | Jun 11, 2012 8:41:22 AM

7. Sad. It seems like she's compartmentalizing this. Obviously she hasn't accepted her son yet. She has probably accepted it in a clinical sense, but it doesn't seem like she's dealing with her son as a gay man that loves, has sex, has relationships and might want to start a family. I have experienced this with conservatives before where they accept that there's something DIFFERENT about their kid but they also don't really accept them as equal. Hopefully she will grow as a mother.

Posted by: screech | Jun 11, 2012 8:42:07 AM

8. Screech - i've seen that a LOT. The conservative parent who "doesn't hate gay people" but doesn't do a damned thing to raise their voice in support of the LGBT Community. The kind of parent who "loves their gay son", but votes against any and every piece of legislation that would grant them equality - extending pre-existing laws to INCLUDE them.

The kind of parent who would say that their child being gay is a "private matter". That "they don't need to tell people that their child is gay, just as they don't tell people that their other child is straight" - despite the fact that they'd blow a gasket if their straight child's rights and liberties were being put to a vote.

i feel terrible for the lgbt people born into these lousy conservative families.

and there will no doubt be some angry right-wing homosexual coming on to insist that not all republicans are anti-gay. he won't be able to prove it by showing what he and his republican family are doing to promote LGBT Equality within the GOP. but he sure will leave an angry little comment. or something.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jun 11, 2012 8:48:18 AM

9. My sympathies for her son. His mother needs a reality check. I just don't get how you can have a gay child and not be FOR their equal rights. What the F!

Posted by: Tanoka | Jun 11, 2012 8:52:08 AM

10. https://www.facebook.com/marsha.looper

women like marsha looper make it very clear that they only love their children as long as their children remain slaves. this is the kind of lousy excuse for a mother that breeds one of those self-loathing GOProud wimps.

send her a message.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jun 11, 2012 8:55:16 AM

11. You could only hope this horrible woman who loves her son but has no respect for him, who loves her son but doesn't consider him equal, who loves her son but doesn't deem him worthy, who loves her son but loves her political affiliation more, would read these comments.

No wonder her son wants his privacy, he is embarrassed by her.

Posted by: Bart | Jun 11, 2012 9:00:10 AM

12. It's exactly what Pink once sang about D. Cheney: "What kind of a father would take this own daughter's rights away?"

I guess Marsha Looper knows the answer to that question. I'd like to hear her take on it.

Posted by: Jude | Jun 11, 2012 9:00:33 AM

13. @Woodroad34D & Tanoka, agreed.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jun 11, 2012 9:01:44 AM

14. She loves the GOP money backing her more than her son!

Posted by: JellyBean | Jun 11, 2012 9:52:37 AM

15. "I am disappointed that my campaign manager forwarded an e-mail that would include any member of my family in policy discussions."

WTF, as if she doesn't know that politics is a filthy business!

Posted by: Pgh Bub | Jun 11, 2012 10:02:03 AM

16. There's a lie that gets spread too often that a person can be opposed to equality for LGBT people, and couples, and yet not be prejudiced against them.

She is prejudiced against her own son. It's bad enough to sit idle while injustices are committed and encouraged against others, it's another thing entirely when you join in and actively contribute to the injustice of others. This woman is working against her own child.

Of course he wants his privacy. That's all he knows - hatred or privacy. No love, no support. What a crappy mother.

Posted by: Tyler | Jun 11, 2012 10:02:47 AM

17. Since his mom's political hacks have pulled this guy into the public spotlight, perhaps he should state he is a Democrat. See what her campaign manager thinks about that. Unless he is one of those Republican Log Cabin syrup folks.

Posted by: Dearcomrade | Jun 11, 2012 10:17:30 AM

18. "These are very intimate issues," she says. No, Marsha Looper, these aren't intimate issues, too delicate for discussion. It's a singular issue: this is an issue of equality vs. discrimination.

Hiding behind God or "the will of the voters" only highlights your bigotry.

What mother, worthy of being called a mother, would so willingly throw her child under a bus?

Posted by: Mitch | Jun 11, 2012 10:19:29 AM

19. OK, no one is going to say it? Looper herself looks like a big ole lesbian in that picture.
    I'd say there are different types and levels of repression going on here.

Posted by: Paul | Jun 11, 2012 10:26:45 AM

20. As the outing e-mail said, "Praise God!" for exposing this woman's hypocrisy. She claims to love her son, but she has aligned her politics with the bigots who use religious beliefs to justify their animosity and their preference for unequal treatment of homosexuals under the law.

Posted by: Joe in CT | Jun 11, 2012 10:30:51 AM

21. It just goes to show that child abuse need not be physical. Psychological abuse can be just as horrible. Obviously, that woman has some serious issues and needs help. Jesus ain't gonna be able to fix this one.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jun 11, 2012 10:45:49 AM

22. As the old adage says: You can choose your friends, but not your relatives. Not all parents are actual parents, many are simply incubators or sperm donors. Just because two people procreate, it doesn't mean their progeny are a product of anything more than lust. I really don't think this woman "loves" her son. She doesn't want "the best" for him nor does she care if he's treated like less of a person and cannot marry the one he loves. She isn't a mother, I suspect, just a "career woman" or politically ambitious incubator not entirely thrilled that her son is not what she and her friends would consider "normal". It's a common condition among conservatives and Republicans, but not exclusive to them.

Posted by: Bob R | Jun 11, 2012 10:49:36 AM

23. I saw this news story yesterday or the day before. While looking for more info I stumbled on another, similar news story about the openly gay son of Republican Don Coram, who cast the deciding vote that killed the Civil Unions bill. Dee Coram asked his father not to do vote against it but he did anyway and he went to the papers about feeling "let down."

It's easy to say what you'd do in a situation you haven't experienced, but I'm pretty sure I'd never speak to my parents again if one of them did something like this or even actively campaigned against gay rights. In fact I'd make their lives miserable if I found out they even voted against gay rights! If you don't think I deserve rights then I don't want you in my life. It's that simple.

And as far as I'm concerned, outing the gay children of anti-gay politicians is fair game. F**k Marsha Looper and the "courtesy" she expects! If she wants to vote against the rights of her own son she should have to explain herself.

Posted by: Caliban | Jun 11, 2012 11:12:35 AM

24. "policy decisions" That, to me, is the money quote.

Posted by: mikeflower | Jun 11, 2012 11:30:34 AM