Republican Party

BigGayDeal.com

Convince Jonah Goldberg To Box With A Tiny Vegan Socialist: VIDEO

GoldbergSuffrage

Here is a petition from a man named Matt Renner, written, it seems, on behalf of a man named Jamie Kilstein, who wants to box with Jonah Goldberg.

You know Jonah Goldberg. He's the conservative bomb-thrower who wrote Liberal Fascism, and introduced into popular discourse the interesting but totally wrong-headed argument, later popularized by Glenn Beck, that Nazis are really liberals. His most recent book is The Tyranny of Cliches.

Anyway: Jonah Goldberg was at the American Enterprise Institute last week, lamenting Nixon's and the Supreme Court's granting of the vote to 18-year-olds, whom Goldberg believes are too stupid to use it competently. Goldberg made this comment:

The fact that young people think socialism is better than capitalism, that's proof of what social scientists call their stupidity and their ignorance and it's something that conservatives have to work harder to beat out of them, either literally or figuratively as far as I'm concerned.

JamieKilsteinYou might say: Wait! Aren't there a lot more young Republicans and centrists and ordinary liberals than there are young socialists? And you'd be right. But never mind that: Jamie Kilstein is a young socialist, and he's more than willing to let Goldberg beat the socialism out of him. Which is why he started the above petition. He wants Goldberg to box with him, in a regulation boxing match, for an as-yet-undetermined amount of internet-raised cash, after which the prize money shall be disbursed to the charity of the victor's choosing.

It should be noted: Kilstein is a self-described "skinny" Brooklynite vegan, weighing in at an unimposing 145 pounds. Goldberg is a large, if somewhat amoebic, omnivore.

Here's that petition again. AFTER THE JUMP, see Goldberg grousing about suffrage for 18-year-olds.

Comments

1. Yes, but can we all just agree how obnoxious vegans can be? It isn't really as healthy as most of them seem think and all of them die anyway...just like the rest of us.

Posted by: MrJ | Jun 3, 2012 11:34:00 AM

2. I agree. Vegetarians are one thing, but Vegans.. they are irritating and their food tastes horrible.

Posted by: Rovex | Jun 3, 2012 12:01:39 PM

3. Does Jonah think 18 year olds are too young to serve in the military and possibly be wounded or even die in the Armed Forces?

Posted by: andrew | Jun 3, 2012 12:03:59 PM

4. Jamie Kilstein is someone you should know. He's a very funny, bright, politically aware comedian and podcaster, prolific on Twitter, and a big LGBT ally. You HAVE to see one of his epic rants on the ridiculousness of being against gay marriage.

If this link doesn't work, do a Google search on his name and "gay marriage."

Posted by: FilmTurtle | Jun 3, 2012 12:46:21 PM

5. FilmTurtle:

Thanks for that! I'll put it in the link roundup tonight.

- BKT

Posted by: Brandon K. Thorp | Jun 3, 2012 12:52:48 PM

6. I don't know what I hate more - neo-conservatives or whiny preachy vegans.

Posted by: hashfag | Jun 3, 2012 1:06:50 PM

7. Go ahead and make fun of vegans, and feel free to eat your way to heart disease, diabetes, cancer and a host of other preventable diseases. Yes, we all are going to die, but that is an oversimplification that leaves quality of life out.

Posted by: Will | Jun 3, 2012 1:23:15 PM

8. Sorry @WILL, your comment suggests that vegans do not get diabetes or heart disease. Let me educate you on something called TYPE 1 Diabetes and something else called HEREDITARY HEART DISEASE. Go sell smug somewhere else.

Posted by: DrJWL | Jun 3, 2012 1:26:21 PM

9. We in the Jewish community know that there's a special place in the world for Jewish Republicans.

This whiny dishonest greedy little coward is in the same league as the gay republicans in their collective inability to stand on their own two feet.

There's a reason that republicans try to dupe liberals into emotional arguments like in Goldberg's pathetic book - it's because they cant' sit calmly and rationally and discuss simple plain facts - simple plain facts prove the republicans to be wrong. So they put on their piety shoes, attempt to talk in circles, frustrate intelligent minds with their refusal to be clear and honest, and then throw their hands in the air and say "oh, typical liberals who can't handle differences of opinion."

From one Jew to another, Goldberg - congrats on helping to finish Hitler's work. You are an embarrassment.

Posted by: Tyler | Jun 3, 2012 1:32:47 PM

10. "Go ahead and make fun of vegans, and feel free to eat your way to heart disease, diabetes, cancer and a host of other preventable diseases."

None of those things are necessarily preventable. Hereditary factors can play major roles. It's terrible, I know, not to be able to justify all that self-righteousness, but one can be level 5 vegan and still die from a heart attack.

Posted by: Nat | Jun 3, 2012 1:53:23 PM

11. "Yes, we all are going to die, but that is an oversimplification that leaves quality of life out."

Cutting out a tasty food group sure as hell diminishes my quality of life.

Posted by: Nat | Jun 3, 2012 1:54:15 PM

12. Wait... voting is based on competence? If that was the rule, Republicans and conservatives generally would be banned from voting for their entire lives.

Maybe there's something to this...

Humor aside, I think the voting age should be reduced to 16.

Posted by: Randy | Jun 3, 2012 1:57:59 PM

13. BKT -- Cheers. Kilstein and his wife Allison Kilkenny are pretty great, and slowly building a fan base through podcasting and social networking. They may not be to everyone's taste but they strive to be politically aware and balanced. And Kilstein can be really hilarious in his standup.

(Andy may have posted some of his rants already, which made the rounds of the blogosphere.)

Posted by: FilmTurtle | Jun 3, 2012 2:07:34 PM

14. Ignorance is bliss. Read the studies and come back with an informed comment and maybe I will take you serious. Nice straw man about type one diabetes btw,.

Posted by: Will | Jun 3, 2012 2:45:52 PM

15. @Hashfag: Hate the neo-cons more. They are the ones who have sent countless thousands of our military to death in needless wars. Of course almost none of them including jonah ever served in the Armed Forces. They are elite snobs who use people as pawns in their games.

Posted by: andrew | Jun 3, 2012 2:59:08 PM

16. Heart disease can be reversed through a plant - based diet. So can type2 diabetes. I know from experience. I really don't care what you eat, any more than I care if you want to do heroin.

Posted by: Will | Jun 3, 2012 2:59:56 PM

17. @Andrew yeah I admit you're right...

But with someone like Will spewing his verbal feces it makes it so hard to resist kicking his ass...

Posted by: hashfag | Jun 3, 2012 3:03:01 PM

18. People who are capable of making a well-reasoned argument don't feel the need to resort to name-calling.

Posted by: Will | Jun 3, 2012 3:19:00 PM

19. @Will: Can Vegans swallow, or is that considered an animal by-product?

Posted by: andrew | Jun 3, 2012 3:56:13 PM

20. @ DrJWL - I have been a Type 1 diabetic since I was 11. I've been vegan for over a decade. As you might suspect, I will always require insulin. However, I have no eye, kidney, or circulation problems. I also have no neuropathy. I really have no worries about my weight. All this despite the fact that the only way I will ever hit 50 is to back into it.

Actually, I did not become vegan for health reasons. I'm very concerned about the abuse of animals used for meat and animal products. There are ways of treating these animals in a humanitarian manner, but that requires a lot of space, plus it would make the price of those products much higher than what you would expect to pay in grocery stores. Also, if the whole world became vegan, world hunger would cease to be a problem, because you can raise a lot more of plant sourced food than animal sourced on an acre of land.

This is the first time I have mentioned my diet on this blog. I really don't think that makes me irritating or whiny.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Jun 3, 2012 4:47:18 PM

21. Are you people serious? This is thre conversation you are having . . . vegan vs. what? Carnivores?

I thought the larger issues would have been socialism, or some measure of it Vs. hard-core, straight down-the-middle-of-the-road capitalism.

or

Whether or not 18 year-old's are socially aware and responsible enough to vote.

If only the readership, here on Towleroad, were as relevant as the editors and contributors to Towleroad.

Please try to have an intelligent conversation . . . and oh yeah, since it is the conversation you seem to be wanting . . . it has been my experience that everyone, not just skinny vegans, whine about something . . .

and no one is suggesting that vegans never get sick, or will never die, but from the beginning of life's journey to journey's end, they are, per capita, spending far less time in the hospital, and going to clinics than those who go around with five pounds of undigested beef in their bowels.

Posted by: Ricco | Jun 3, 2012 9:18:38 PM

22. Goldberg's screed is getting lots of negative reviews on Amazon. You can add to them. Remember he's a muck-raking foot soldier in Gingrich's army to redefine words and concepts to harm liberals and liberal causes and to make "liberal" a dirty word. That was the motivation behind his embarrassingly and wildly inaccurate Liberal Fascism, which was panned by real scholars. There he tried to show that Nazis were really liberal leftists because he was tired of right wing fascists like himself being called fascists. Go figure. Now he wants to pretend there's no right side of history. Fortunately, he's already shown there's a wrong side because he's clearly demonstrated that he's on it. Goldberg is scum.

Posted by: ascanius | Jun 3, 2012 9:51:47 PM

23. @Ricco
    I like most of what you say almost all the time. I have to say, you present a straw-man argument about the 5 pounds unidgested beef. The amount of time being spent in hospital and going to clinics has nothing to do with it. We are evolved to be carnivores. Veganism is a strictly-speaking unnatural act. No animal eats a diet it is ill-evolved to survive. Veganism is a human perversion of nature. It is unhealthy because of that. It also deteriates quality of life - have you seen their diet?
    Also, I interacted with you when I was H8STR8S. I have always enjoyed your posts and would like to have a discusion about free-will and religion with you as you are a deep thinker. Feel free to contact me at nullnaught@gmail.com

Posted by: NullNaught | Jun 3, 2012 9:55:32 PM

24. @ NullNaught - One question - If humans have evolved to be carnivores, why do we have the teeth of herbivores?

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Jun 3, 2012 11:10:39 PM

25. @Mike in the Tundra
    Thanks, I didn't edit that well. I meant omnivore. we are evolved to be Omnivores. Is that all you got? Really? You can't see that is what I meant? All you can do is attack an obvious mistake? Did you think you "Got" me? If you didn't know we are actually omnivorse and couldn't put to gether that what I was saying was obviously and completely true if you just made that one correction, you aren't intellectually equipt for this conversation. Is it not so?
    I want to commend you on not being whiny. You are the exception that proves the rule. Most every other vegan is a preachy, moralising, whiner.
    Good for you.
    Your argument is wrong. Veganism can't solve world hunger. See Malthus on this. Population increases exponentially, and food production can only ever increase geometrically. It is a mathematic proof we need a great die-off. You might be able to solve world hunger by convincing 90% of the people now here to leave, and not replacing them. Then strictly control population growth so it matches food production. This all is a pipe dream. We are doomed. Eat meat, enjoy yourself while you can...

Posted by: NullNaught | Jun 3, 2012 11:24:10 PM