Happy 45th Anniversary Loving v. Virginia: VIDEO

Loving

Today's the 45th anniversary of the ruling in Loving v. Virginia, which struck down the ban on interracial marriage.

Watch AFER attorneys Ted Olson and David Boies talk about how Loving v. Virginia set a precedent for the battle for marriage equality and LGBT civil rights in a video recorded last year, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Happy Anniversary Loving v. Virginia. May you live long and happy lives. Now it is time to for all people who love each other to freely be able to get married in America, that includes gay people. The time has come for Equal and Civil Rights for LGBT people in America, don't make them have to take their fight to the streets to get it.

Posted by: Dave | Jun 12, 2012 1:11:41 PM

2. Cool! I wasn't paying attention though... I busy being born that day. =)

Posted by: jexer | Jun 12, 2012 1:13:19 PM

3. gah, 'I was busy ...' 45 years and I still can't proofread.

Posted by: jexer | Jun 12, 2012 1:13:52 PM

4. "Happy Anniversary Loving v. Virginia. May you live long and happy lives."

Mildred and Richard Loving are both dead, dude.

Posted by: endo | Jun 12, 2012 1:19:23 PM

5. Happy Birthday Jexer

Posted by: Jeff | Jun 12, 2012 1:45:54 PM

6. Sometime names seem to have an independent life. I rejoice in the irony of "Loving" vs. Virginia, that loving won, that it does and that if we will allow it to do so it will for us as well.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jun 12, 2012 1:47:39 PM

7. A shining moment of progress in America, happy anniversary indeed!!

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jun 12, 2012 1:51:32 PM

8. As I heard the story told, Mr. Loving wasn't in the courtroom for the decision. His attorneys asked him what message he wanted them to relay to the judges for him. He replied "Tell them I love my wife."

I can't think of a more perfect reply!

Incidentally, Mrs. Loving, who died in May of 2008, was a supporter of marriage equality.

Posted by: Mary | Jun 12, 2012 2:40:38 PM

9. A glorious day when the evil that is Christianity suffered another defeat, and their bigotry against interracial unions could no longer be upheld as law.

Posted by: Sarm | Jun 12, 2012 3:04:22 PM

10. Which still proves that VA is only for straight christians. They rest can go to
    H#@% by their standards.

Posted by: Peter | Jun 12, 2012 4:47:28 PM

11. Happy Anniversary!

Everyone should listen to these words by Mildred Loving (here read by Phyllis Newman): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoZRrixLLSE

Here's an excerpt of it:

"Surrounded as I am now by wonderful children and grandchildren, not a day goes by that I don’t think of Richard and our love, our right to marry, and how much it meant to me to have that freedom to marry the person precious to me, even if others thought he was the 'wrong kind of person' for me to marry. I believe all Americans, no matter their race, no matter their sex, no matter their sexual orientation, should have that same freedom to marry. Government has no business imposing some people’s religious beliefs over others. Especially if it denies people's civil rights.

I am still not a political person, but I am proud that Richard's and my name is on a court case that can help reinforce the love, the commitment, the fairness, and the family that so many people, black or white, young or old, gay or straight, seek in life. I support the freedom to marry for all. That’s what Loving, and loving, are all about."

Posted by: Jude | Jun 12, 2012 4:49:42 PM