Discrimination | Gay Marriage | News | Republican Party

BigGayDeal.com

Meet The 7 Most Anti-Gay GOP Lawmakers In The House

GOP7

After an exhaustive and no doubt emotionally draining analysis, Josh Israel and Adam Peck at ThinkProgress have identified the seven most anti-gay Republican lawmakers in the House of Representatives. The number one offender, they note, is freshman Rep. Tim Huelskamp of Kansas.

The most anti-gay member of Congress has been freshman Rep. Tim Huelskamp (R-KS). As the author of his state’s constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriages and civil unions, during his previous tenure as a state senator, his anti-gay fervor in Washington is not unexpected.

In his first 18 months, he has authored an amendment to ban a directive that allows military chaplains to voluntarily solemnize same-sex unions, an amendment to “prohibit the use of funds to be used in contravention of the Defense of Marriage Act,” and a bill to ban the use of military facilities for any same-sex unions.

He also co-sponsored three measures to criticize the Obama administration for not defending the Defense of Marriage Act, to direct the Speaker of the House to defend the law instead, and to delay implementation of the Don’t Ask Don’t Tell repeal.

The analysis involved going over various discriminatory pieces of legislation and tallying the sponsors. While 144 Congressmen have sponsored or co-sponsored exclusionary laws, these seven signed onto five or more proposals looking to limit LGBT people's rights.

There is one Democrat, Rep. Mike McIntyre of North Carolina, who co-sponsored an anti-gay measure: a constitutional amendment prohibiting marriage equality.

Comments

1. I wonder how many of these monsters have gay/lesbian staffers... It's an open secret that most Republicans on the Hill have gay staffers.

Posted by: John | Jun 27, 2012 9:33:29 AM

2. @ John: *I* wonder how many of these monsters are deeply closeted gays and lesbians.

Posted by: Rich F. | Jun 27, 2012 9:41:22 AM

3. That's the winner's circle for today's Republican dinosaurs. No doubt the losers will be fiercely upping their anti-gay ante to join this illustrious--and clearly, ahem, diverse--bunch. Special congrats to Vicky for being the lone woman to get a pass into the white boys club. The most closeted hairdo award goes to Phil!

Posted by: Ernie | Jun 27, 2012 9:52:25 AM

4. It is slightly possible that they are not ALL closeted and self-loathing -- but it is certain that they are all a$$holes.

Posted by: kit | Jun 27, 2012 10:18:25 AM

5. Wow, only seven? What was the cut off point?

Posted by: joe | Jun 27, 2012 10:21:54 AM

6. Well now we know which members of Congress are most likely to have a wide stance and need assistance lifting their luggage.

Posted by: Smartypants | Jun 27, 2012 10:26:35 AM

7. Exposing bigotry with the bible :

Hatred is the greatest sin which goes against the greatest commandments of Christ. In the Parable of the Good Samaritan, Christ has clearly mentioned that the way to have eternal life for his followers is through his commandments to love God and to love your neighbor as yourself. He has mentioned that those laws are above all other biblical laws of any other prophets.

Homophobes promoting hatred are antiChrist who do not believe or pretend to believe in Jesus Christ but do not acknowledge Christ's commandments to love God and to love thy neighbor as thyself, to be the highest of all biblical laws. The antiChrist, like the devil, is a master of quoting biblical verses except those 2 top commandments of love from Christ, they avoid using Christ's name but use other names, even 'God', to bring all sort of biblical verses or 'facts', to lie and to prove their justification to hate. AntiChrist deceive people that those 2 commandments of love were not above all laws for Christians, and they are around in many organizations pretending to be of 'religious' faith.

The issue of homosexuality, same sex marriage and many other issues (sexual/non sexual) are different forms of a test of the Christian faith on that choice of who they really believe in the end, to love (Christ and His greatest commandments) or to hate (succumb to temptation of verses NOT from Christ's greatest commandments to justify their hatred).

Posted by: Simon | Jun 27, 2012 10:27:05 AM

8. "Special congrats to Vicky for being the lone woman to get a pass into the white boys club"

Yeah, because we all know that women like Michelle Bachman don't belong there.

And because all the non-white homophobes at least have the good grace to be Democrats, thank goodness. Ruben Diaz, take a bow.

Of course, only 1 of the 7 is from the South, so I cannot imagine what kind of cognitive dissonance that, too, must create for some of you.

Have you ever noticed how there is never any discussion here about how to go about changing the large percentage of the population that remain anywhere from mildly homophobic to intensely so--which is why these people get elected? Because that is the only way things will ever change.

That we are 0-for-33 in referenda and have lost just about every other significant political battle we have engaged in over the course of 6 decades would, you would think, clue some of you in that the approach you take is ineffective. That alienating half the population and trying--futilely--to FORCE them to change just does not lead to progress, any more than villanizing one political party does.

But there I go again trying to introduce intelligent thought in a forum where it clearly has no place.

Posted by: Rick | Jun 27, 2012 10:40:06 AM

9. RICK - it seems like we have won a few battles...but I'll be interested to see what those (other than the predictables) have to say in response. I do believe in personal responsibility and in changing tactics and leaders that have not been effective. Education is the way to change minds. It certainly may be that the readership here does not represent what you call "mainstream" gays who, I think, are put off by offensive public behaviour among "their own." Losing as much as we have has to mean that we have not done as well as we could. Point taken.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jun 27, 2012 10:52:40 AM

10. I hate blacks and women because when I was a child my father made me dress up in blackface-drag while I performed oral sex on him. He'd say, "Rick! You get your butt upstairs and dress up like Pollyanna-Mammycakes" and I'd say "Awww, paw! You know I'm a real masculine manly man, why can't I just wear this here football outfit when we do it?" And he'd say "because you femmy little gays like to dress up as girls. And one day a musical artist is going to be born and she's gonna call herself Lady Gaga. This is gonna be decades from now, but I want you to know that even though she's not born yet, she's promoting boys being effeminate, so you can blame her for this."

See? My dad was right.

Also, I'm the pinnacle of intelligence and integrity on this site, that's why I never put a face to my comments, because backing stuff up with facts and living transparently is for femmy f@gs.

I'm a really masculine confident man and you can tell because I log onto this site every day to anonymously complain about effeminate queens with limp wrists. Because that's what all masculine men do. Right?

Posted by: Rick | Jun 27, 2012 10:53:01 AM

11. Wow! Nobody from Texas...I'm relieved.

Posted by: Myackie | Jun 27, 2012 11:04:28 AM

12. Rick and UFFDA. A match made in Closet Heaven. Are you fools for real?

Posted by: Antony | Jun 27, 2012 11:15:54 AM

13. It takes a profound level of willful ignorance to continue to insist that the GOP is not the galvanizing force of anti-gay prejudice in America. And for good reason - if these right-wingers can no longer use the specter of "Gays" to wield over their base they'll be forced to actually talk about the economy and let their base know that, yeah, they've been harming them for years. Because that's how conservative parties run - tell the poor folks that you hate gays and abortions and trick them into voting against their own best interests, fiscally. Works every time.

Posted by: Tyler | Jun 27, 2012 11:24:06 AM

14. Todd Akin looks like he smelled a rainbow Oreo cookie and liked it and now he hates every Oreo

Posted by: aki | Jun 27, 2012 11:30:34 AM

15. @RICK, you raise a fair point concerning how our civil rights battles can be won and how to address, confront, and if possible, change the views of Americans on their fellow gay Americans. That said, we haven't lost very fight or battle, though we have lost many. This is not an easy battle, and there will definitely be people one can never convince, just as there will always be racists, misogynists, anti-Semities, xenophobes, etc.

I think the main point every LGBT person- well every HUMAN- should learn, is to be themselves while also acting with grace, compassion, understanding and generosity towards their fellow human beings. One thing I have tried to learn- and what I have seen people before me learn- is that when you are discriminated against, hurt, attacked, and maligned- pick up, keep going, and DON'T do the same thing to others.

Posted by: Scott | Jun 27, 2012 12:59:01 PM

16. Second RICK post is by KIWI who hasn't got the integrity to use his own name. That's more basic than textbook.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jun 27, 2012 1:16:27 PM

17. PS: It makes me so hot thinking about Rick in blackface-drag. I haven't been with a man since the early 40s but I'm saving my next encounter for Rick.

Call me maybe.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jun 27, 2012 1:29:35 PM

18. Keep updating us with who is anti-gay so we know who the enemy is.

Posted by: Dave | Jun 27, 2012 1:40:08 PM

19. I'm not familiar with the other Congressmen, but if it's any consolation, I know that Dan Burton seems to have the intelligence of a kumkwat. I think that even the arch-conservative newspaper, The Chicago Tribune, has called him an embarassment to the people of Indiana.

Posted by: Milo | Jun 27, 2012 1:45:21 PM

20. so were do we put the money, to get them kicked out of office

Posted by: Thrutch | Jun 27, 2012 1:51:52 PM

21. Ah, yes, Rick, your intelligent thought . . . again.

Nothing wrong with working with the ridiculously small number of Republicans who are open to gay civil rights progress--they have been important in legislative victories. But the Republicans above, wherever they are from (not my state, surprise), are not those Republicans. They are Republicans their sane constituents should work to get out of office because their anti-gayness is just the tip of their stupidity iceberg. They will go to their graves stewing in their irrational hatred.

Actually, we've made good progress in states with Democratic majorities, and all pro-gay legislation is the result of Democratic majorities. And the public is ahead of the Republican majority on gay rights--these people are dinosaurs and represent the last gasp of a present that will soon be the past. They--and some TR commentators--don't realize it yet, but gay rights are inevitable, we've reached the tipping point, it's all a matter of when. And the sooner we get the homophobes out of office and off the court benches (where we're already winning) the sooner these idiots will be in the dust bins of history.

Posted by: Ernie | Jun 27, 2012 2:03:35 PM

22. I don't care who wrote it. The second RICK post is hilarious!

Posted by: peterparker | Jun 27, 2012 2:10:32 PM

23. "gay rights are inevitable"

And yet if you look at the statistics the HRC recently published, life has never been worse for gay teens.

Maybe that is what some of you really need to give some thought to.

"Rights" mean nothing in the overall scheme of things.

Posted by: Rick | Jun 27, 2012 2:44:54 PM

24. I know I do a lot of great work as gay men for young people. For instance, I encourage gay kids who are closeted to beat up and bully those Out effeminates in schools, because those limp-wristed sissies who come out before the masculine jocks make it harder for everyone. Because there's no reason for us masculine manly gay men to have to come out, and those gay kids who are too femmy deserve to get beat up. Because that's what my dad said. Right before he had sex with me in blackface drag. While listening to divas.

Posted by: Rick | Jun 27, 2012 2:53:04 PM

25. I'm in his district and it is disgusting to have him represent me. He isn't that well liked here, but will be reelected solely because Democrats didn't produce a single candidate to run against him. The late date the redistricting was finished didn't help, but the Democratic Party seems to be in shambles here. They didn't produce an effective candidate to run against Brownback, last time, which is how we ended up with him, too.

Posted by: Michael Rutledge Rutledge | Jun 27, 2012 3:13:25 PM