Gay Marriage | News | Nova Scotia

Nova Scotia Newspaper Runs Prank Wedding Announcement Featuring Two Straight Guys

Mock

Someone decided it would be funny to send an announcement to Halifax's The Chronicle Herald regarding the wedding of Bobby Cooper and Russell Rogers. Unfortunately, Cooper and Rogers are straight and not getting married. The newspaper, unfortunately, never checked:

Bobby Cooper, one of the men featured in the announcement, issued a statement lashing out at the "prank."
"The announcement was placed as a poorly thought out prank from a friend that I feel should not have been approved by the staff at The Chronicle Herald without checking with one of us first,” Cooper said in the statement.

“I am a strong proponent of equal marriage rights for the LGBT community, and hate having my name involved in a prank that could possibly be perceived as making a mockery of something that the community had to fight towards for so long in Canada."

Cooper was not the only one to take offense at the ad. Leaders of the Halifax gay community were also unimpressed.

“I think it’s stupid. I think it’s childish. I think it’s lame,” said Halifax Pride spokesperson Neville MacKay.

Comments

1. But they do make a handsome couple.

Posted by: DougChgo | Jul 20, 2012 9:56:55 AM

2. Um, newflash -- this IS funny. People need to rediscover their senses of humor.

Posted by: Dan | Jul 20, 2012 10:09:12 AM

3. I'm so glad that the object of the prank hit exactly the right note in his outrage. It's awesome that he was outraged over the swipe at the long hard fight for marriage equality rather than getting defensive about his 1000% heterosexuality.

Very well done Mr. Cooper! You turned a stupid prank into a teachable moment and that's so very rare these days.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Jul 20, 2012 10:10:59 AM

4. Stupid prank. Well-spoken young man. And, dare I say it? They do make a handsome couple.

Posted by: Gigi | Jul 20, 2012 10:12:19 AM

5. I actually find this quite funny. Some members of the Canadian gay community are obviously getting their knickers in a twist about it, however.

Posted by: jason | Jul 20, 2012 10:16:11 AM

6. The blonde guy is damn hot.....but I could have told you he isn't gay because his hair is so disheveled. Disheveled hair is so sexy; a shame that almost no gay guys have it.....

Posted by: Rick | Jul 20, 2012 10:18:37 AM

7. Actually i think that in countries that are progressive and tolerant (Not USA) then this is actually quite a funny joke. In USA this would just be offensive when the LGBT community is regarded as second class citizens. A handful of states with equality makes no different as long as DOMA exists.

Posted by: paul | Jul 20, 2012 10:22:47 AM

8. funny.

Posted by: Mitchell | Jul 20, 2012 10:23:25 AM

9. It's not a funny prank. It's making a joke of both these two straight men as well as a joke of gay partnerships. It's extremely juvenile, this is something I could see a kid 18 years old doing, but a grown adult should know better. I also hate the fact people are saying "lighten up" and "it's just a joke", as if mocking our relationships is fair play, and it isn't. Simply ignorant.

The response from Mr. Cooper is a great one, commends to him. And they do make a cute couple!

Posted by: Francis | Jul 20, 2012 10:23:55 AM

10. yes Rick, only straight men rock disheveled hair. what planet are you from? go back there.

Posted by: DRG | Jul 20, 2012 10:23:57 AM

11. The best possible reaction to it, too. Instead of being angry that someone might think he's gay, he's angry that someone is making a mockery of other people.

This is another reason why Canada rocks.

Posted by: Jasun mark | Jul 20, 2012 10:24:16 AM

12. It's not funny at all. It makes a joke of all marriages, straight and gay. This is the kind of thing someone with the mind of a 12 year old would come up with.

Posted by: Jack M | Jul 20, 2012 10:42:41 AM

13. Rick, my crotch hair is constantly disheveled.

Posted by: johnny | Jul 20, 2012 10:53:30 AM

14. This is considered a classified submission. You pay your $100 or whatever it costs and that's it. You can't be blaming the paper because they don't have the time or manpower to do a background check on every entry. If it was a legitimate news story and the journalist didn't bother to check facts then you can blame the paper.

Posted by: jenn | Jul 20, 2012 10:56:12 AM

15. At first I found it mildly offensive, but then the statement that was issued from Cooper took a negative and turned it into a positive. All's well that ends well :D

Posted by: Lucas H | Jul 20, 2012 11:01:23 AM

16. I understand the overall implication of this prank..but I found it funny, especially coming from the maritime (i.e. NS).

Posted by: jayjay | Jul 20, 2012 11:29:50 AM

17. he had a great response, i must say.

Posted by: reality | Jul 20, 2012 11:33:26 AM

18. The prank is ho-hum funny, the response is terrific. And this is what happens when equality becomes the norm. The two-guys heehee joke doesn't play like it used to because most young straight people know real gay guys who are, in fact, getting married and it's no more of a joke to them than a straight couple getting married.

Posted by: Ernie | Jul 20, 2012 11:40:16 AM

19. I am originally from Nova Scotia and most people there are the most genuinelly nicest people around. The response of one of the "bridegrooms" was great and indicative of the people. Its odd that Nova Scotia gets into the news about this and it was one of the first places in the world to put in HIV and AIDS as prohibited grounds of discrimination.

Posted by: Marc | Jul 20, 2012 12:02:13 PM

20. RICK: What a shock, of course he's hot to you! Maybe because he is straight, thus straight acting and not one of those pesky "effeminate men" you dislike so much? By the way, you are painting with broad strokes again. Who said disheveled hair is mostly the domain of straight guys? You seem to only see people in certain, defined categories. I know gay guys with disheveled hair.

Posted by: MATT | Jul 20, 2012 12:07:29 PM

21. @RICK is a major d*ck.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jul 20, 2012 12:35:50 PM

22. I think it's amusing but I appreciate him for taking the oportunity to stand up for marriage equality.

Posted by: DJ | Jul 20, 2012 12:49:15 PM

23. It's funny and most US newspapers won't run a gay marriage announcement. I'm not sure how they expect a newspaper to check all these things. "Are you really going to marry that guy, Ms. Jones?"??

Posted by: anon | Jul 20, 2012 12:53:27 PM

24. This was not funny, only childish. Good response from one of the bridegrooms.

By the way, I would never believe these two as an openly gay couple. A c;oseted one maybe, but not openly gay.

Posted by: Gabe R L | Jul 20, 2012 12:55:57 PM

25. Sorry for the typo (c;oseted for closeted).

If the second part of my previous post was offensive I'm sorry, but these guys are too cute fro me not to consider the possibility of a real relationship. So often in life where there is smoke there is fire.

Posted by: Gabe R L | Jul 20, 2012 1:06:02 PM