Anderson Cooper | CNN | Gay Media | News

Anderson Cooper Comes Out: 'The Fact Is, I'm Gay'

AndersonCooperGay

Finally putting to rest all that speculation, journalist Anderson Cooper has officially and publicly come out as a proud gay man.

"The fact is, I'm gay," Cooper wrote in an email to friend Andrew Sullivan after being asked about an Entertainment Weekly article on public figures who remain in the glass closet:

...I have given some the mistaken impression that I am trying to hide something - something that makes me uncomfortable, ashamed or even afraid. This is distressing because it is simply not true.

...There continue to be far too many incidences of bullying of young people, as well as discrimination and violence against people of all ages, based on their sexual orientation, and I believe there is value in making clear where I stand.

The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn’t be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud.

I have always been very open and honest about this part of my life with my friends, my family, and my colleagues. In a perfect world, I don't think it's anyone else's business, but I do think there is value in standing up and being counted. I’m not an activist, but I am a human being and I don't give that up by being a journalist.

As for why he resisted coming out, Cooper said his privacy and travels to dangerous nations both played a part in his staying in the aforementioned glass closet.

Congratulations to you, Anderson. Maybe now the paparazzi can now get a proper shot of you and your boyfriend together?

Comments

1. Hooray! I wanted to get one positive comment in before the haters jump on board!

Posted by: Frank | Jul 2, 2012 11:29:47 AM

2. Very well said Mr. Cooper.

Congratulations!

Posted by: TampaZeke | Jul 2, 2012 11:31:49 AM

3. oh my god I would have never guessed! lol. Congrats on finally coming out Anderson.

Posted by: Lucas | Jul 2, 2012 11:32:02 AM

4. I can't wait to see Twitter comments from people who didn't know.

Posted by: endo | Jul 2, 2012 11:33:09 AM

5. Go Anderson!

Posted by: Polyboy | Jul 2, 2012 11:33:18 AM

6. I think there are about five people in the US who don't know.

Congratulations, Anderson!

Posted by: Jack M | Jul 2, 2012 11:33:58 AM

7. Glad he has come out!

Posted by: reality | Jul 2, 2012 11:35:35 AM

8. finally - that took way too long.

now I can respect him.

Posted by: truthiness | Jul 2, 2012 11:36:06 AM

9. Good for him.

Posted by: Monsieur V | Jul 2, 2012 11:36:37 AM

10. Well, he HAD to come out if he's going to marry Tom Cruise.

Posted by: Dave | Jul 2, 2012 11:36:48 AM

11. OK, you all got your wish. You harrassed the guy to death until he finally did what you wanted.

I hope it does not effect his credibility, but my guess is that it will. He will no longer be able to appear objective when it comes to gay issues of any kind. Even if he tries to, nobody will believe that he is. And that will cost us. Tom Roberts has lost all credibility for precisely that reason. Don Lemon is on the way to losing credibility for the same reason. The same thing happened to Andrew Sullivan when he came out, with many others in the profession attributing all his opinions to his "gayness" after he came out, when they had never done so before. And Rachel Maddow is also seen as a mere cheerleader for gay causes.

It is very hard to get the networks to highlight gay issues or pay a lot of attention to them and Anderson was able to do that because of his stature....AND because, without being officially out, he was not seen by the general public as a "cheerleader" and could appear to be objective int the way the issues were approached, which none of the aforementioned individuals could. Now he won't be able to do that.

If he had just wanted to come out, that would be one thing. But his explanation for his decision makes it pretty clear that he was "shamed" into it by overly-zealous activists who are less interested in his welfare and his viability as a news anchor than they are in their own agenda.

We will see how it works out; like Anderson said, it is a tradeoff. I suspect that on balance, however, this will hurt us more than it will help us.

Posted by: Rick | Jul 2, 2012 11:38:18 AM

12. Bravo.

Posted by: Jedi | Jul 2, 2012 11:38:22 AM

13. Awesome!

I know some will say he should have come out sooner, but it's all a process, and he has completed his. Also, the fear about traveling to anti-gay countries is very understandable. But ultimately I'm proud of him for taking this step and finally coming out. Congrats Anderson!

Posted by: Francis | Jul 2, 2012 11:38:42 AM

14. YAYAY! Now he doesn't have to like totally slump and hide in his seat anymore when out seeing movies with his boyfriend...

(He went to see THE WEEKEND, he was sooo awk in that theater)

Posted by: David in NYC | Jul 2, 2012 11:39:01 AM

15. "Cooper said he privacy and his travels to dangerous nations both played a part in staying in the aforementioned glass closet." LOL. What a tool.

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Jul 2, 2012 11:39:25 AM

16. This was totally unnecessary, but I guess the gay bullies finally got their way and forced him out. How tolerant of them.

Posted by: OMNOMNOM | Jul 2, 2012 11:41:08 AM

17. Congratulations, Anderson! I hope your decision to speak out brings you much happiness!

Posted by: Dana | Jul 2, 2012 11:41:17 AM

18. How not shocking who the first commenter is to rain on Andy's coming out parade.

Don't feed the troll, people.

Posted by: endo | Jul 2, 2012 11:41:23 AM

19. Rick, chill out. Seriously.

Posted by: Mike8787 | Jul 2, 2012 11:42:22 AM

20. I join with you all in congratulating Anderson Cooper in finally coming out. However, my sympathy with his long silence (not denial) is strengthened by his comments about reporting from dangerous places.

Would we really have wanted him to put his life at extra risk just to make himself a better role model in the US?

Its easy for us, who are not in the public eye and not a potential victim of extremists, to judge.

Posted by: John Freeman | Jul 2, 2012 11:42:24 AM

21. Everybody has the right to come out when they want to.

Posted by: Monrob | Jul 2, 2012 11:44:41 AM

22. Oh and I suppose all straight people think their sexual orientation is a "private matter". This letter is a pathetic attempt to justify the damage he caused by being a public figure in the closet and sending the message that being gay is something to be hidden. Anderson Cooper is a shell of a man.

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Jul 2, 2012 11:44:46 AM

23. Everyone in the know knew, and everyone being jerks can shut up. Good on him.

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 2, 2012 11:45:34 AM

24. Congratulations Anderson! You are a beautiful, intelligent man and I wish you all the best!

Posted by: Jim | Jul 2, 2012 11:46:09 AM

25. Im very proud of my cousin Anderson :)

Posted by: Tabsea | Jul 2, 2012 11:46:43 AM