Anderson Cooper | CNN | Gay Media | News

Anderson Cooper Comes Out: 'The Fact Is, I'm Gay'

AndersonCooperGay

Finally putting to rest all that speculation, journalist Anderson Cooper has officially and publicly come out as a proud gay man.

"The fact is, I'm gay," Cooper wrote in an email to friend Andrew Sullivan after being asked about an Entertainment Weekly article on public figures who remain in the glass closet:

...I have given some the mistaken impression that I am trying to hide something - something that makes me uncomfortable, ashamed or even afraid. This is distressing because it is simply not true.

...There continue to be far too many incidences of bullying of young people, as well as discrimination and violence against people of all ages, based on their sexual orientation, and I believe there is value in making clear where I stand.

The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn’t be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud.

I have always been very open and honest about this part of my life with my friends, my family, and my colleagues. In a perfect world, I don't think it's anyone else's business, but I do think there is value in standing up and being counted. I’m not an activist, but I am a human being and I don't give that up by being a journalist.

As for why he resisted coming out, Cooper said his privacy and travels to dangerous nations both played a part in his staying in the aforementioned glass closet.

Congratulations to you, Anderson. Maybe now the paparazzi can now get a proper shot of you and your boyfriend together?

Comments

1. He's got a new fan!

Posted by: VDUFFORD | Jul 2, 2012 4:15:27 PM

2. WHAT IS GOING ON, WITH THIS TREND OF BEING "OUT" AT CNN. Anderson Cooper AND Don Lemon SEEM TO BELIEVE BEING "OUT" AT WORK IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN BEING HONEST, PUBLICALLY.

THERE IS NO NEED FOR HOMOSEXUALS TO BE "OUT" AT WORK. HOWEVER, IF YOU ARE "OUT" AT WORK, WHY "SPLIT HAIRS" BY NOT BEING "OUT" IN PUBLIC? IS Mr. Cooper RIDING Mr. Lemon's "COAT-TAILS?"

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Jul 2, 2012 4:15:51 PM

3. "RICK" (2 JULY; 11:38:18 AM),

YOU ARE ON POINT! I SAW AN ONLINE VIDEO OF, Don Lemon BEING "SHOVED" BY, Marcus Bachman. THIS VIDEO MADE Mr. Lemon LOOK LIKE, "A WEAK SISSY." WAS IT RETALIATION FOR THE "PINK SLIP" LAUGH? IT WILL BE INTERESTING TO SEE WHO LASTS LONGER AT CNN - CAUCASIAN Anderson Cooper, OR, NEGRO Don Lemon.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Jul 2, 2012 4:27:51 PM

4. "If Diane Sawyer reports on anything do we assume she is biased just because she is straight?"

Come on, get real. Anything having to do with gay people remains a source of controversy and polarization. Those that are seen as most credible when it comes to the gay issue are those who appear to have no vested interest in the outcome.

All I am saying is that AC has now forfeited that credibility (and no, the vast majority of the public did NOT already know he was gay).

Will what is gained from a major celebrity coming out outweigh what is lost from no longer having anyone of the same stature who is willing to both highlight gay issues and be able to address them with credibility?

Who knows? Obviously, in your euphoria, many of you are telling yourselves that it will, but I kind of doubt it, myself.

I guess we will see, though.

Posted by: Rick | Jul 2, 2012 4:37:20 PM

5. @SteveinSC,

Actually, I've traveled and lived all over, and come from and grew up in a very diverse environment.

Why does what I said about AC bother you so much, Steve? All I said was everyone knew he was gay, he wasn't a bad guy or anti-gay while being on the DL, and people should respect his desire for privacy. I also said not every gay or bi man and woman is 'self-loathing' because they aren't a 24/7 professional homosexual 'activist'. What's wrong with that? It's the truth, IMO.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jul 2, 2012 4:42:45 PM

6. Congrats Mr. Cooper!

Posted by: jjq | Jul 2, 2012 4:55:21 PM

7. Being out is being honest. But Christopher Allen Norton -- or rather CHRISTOPHER ALLEN NORTON -- knows nothing about honesty.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jul 2, 2012 5:14:12 PM

8. @THEOTHERLEETHEOTHERLEE:
    So you're saying all the female reporters who're travelling all around the world and reporting on all types of issues are safe? that all those reporters who travel to countries who have all kinds of awful rules and beliefs about women should go there as a man and not let anyone find out they're women, cause people might hurt them cause they're women? look there's all kinds of prejudice all around the world. If you ask me, in some countries being white would put him in a greater danger than being gay. Being an american in middle-east would put him in a greater danger than being gay. But these have nothing to do with justifying the closet.

Posted by: Farbud | Jul 2, 2012 5:20:51 PM

9. Mr.Cooper took a courageous and calculated risk making his statement. We are all the better for it, and hopefully he will be as well. I'm sure the likes of Palin, Bachman, Santorum, and Rush Limbloat will have much to say about this as another example of the gay-agenda in the liberal media. What a sick, puritanical, hypocritical country we endure!

Posted by: Rex Paul Martin | Jul 2, 2012 5:32:19 PM

10. The guy was in the closet because he didn't want to talk about who he likes to make out with in interviews? Really? And here I thought someone was in the closet if they were lying to themselves and their loved ones about who they like to make out with. A crucial distinction, I would think, and one that is conveniently glossed over by some activists (real ones, and ones of the armchair variety).

The guy wasn't ever hiding. If you knew him, or even had mutual friends with him, you know he lives with his boyfriend who owns a gay bar in the east village, is nuts for Scissor Sisters, has been spotted in The Pines, etc. The way he conducts his personal life isn't substantially different from the way the rest of us "out and proud" folks do. We just don't get asked about it in interviews.

Furthermore, while I respect and agree with his decision to go ahead and acknowledge what everybody already knew because he wasn't hiding it -- it *is* important to stand up and be counted, just as another human being on the planet -- I *do* respect his reasons for not answering the question until now. He's not an O'Reilly, he's not an Olberman, and he doesn't want to be treated like one of their ilk. He's a real broadcast journalist, and as such, he is obliged to not come off like an activist for any particular political movement. Also, too: he's a war correspondent, often operating in the most dangerous parts of the world, places where it tends to be extra-dangerous for people known to be gay. And for their accompanying crews, as well. So there's that.

@Rick -- I don't think being out has harmed Rachel Maddow. On the contrary, my read is that she's been gaining significant respect. She appears on Meet the Press now, in addition to her own show, and her book (which I loved) has been very well reviewed as a serious piece of public policy. It's not one of those "best of" turds the TV pundits usually put out.

Posted by: Scottevill | Jul 2, 2012 6:16:11 PM

11. Yup and we have the right to ridicule those we know are in the closet. You want privacy? Get out of the spotlight.

Posted by: James in Bcn | Jul 2, 2012 6:54:33 PM

12. Marcus Bachmann,

First, he is a public figure and he wanted to keep his "personal life" private, that's understandable, because frankly he doesn't owe you a damn thing. He doesn't know you personally and you don't know him personally.

Second, he stated quite clearly that to the people and friends he does give a damn about he is open to. Just because YOU want him to be some kind of gay saviour to the cause does not mean he has to sacrifice who he is for you. That's a selfish attitude for you to have.

Third, while he is a public figure and does travel to other places, I can completely understand the fear of being out and proud in some other places. It could get him killed.

By the way, for some it is a "private matter". We still in many places, and for many reasons, don't have the freedom and flexibility to be as open as heterosexuals and for good reason. So kindly, get off your soapbox because you look to me like the kind of person who would gladly throw any individuality under the bus to serve your own AGENDA which is exactly what the right is blaming us for.

And no, I'm not in the closet, everyone knows who I am, so this comes from my compassion for people, not some self serving attempt to protect myself.

People first, then the cause. If we lose sight of that, then we are just as depraved as everyone else.

Posted by: JP | Jul 2, 2012 6:54:48 PM

13. I don't know who you are "JP" What do the letter "JP" stand for?

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jul 2, 2012 7:15:43 PM

14. The fact is, nobody cares. Maybe if he had come out years ago someone would've cared, but not now.

Posted by: Has-Been | Jul 2, 2012 7:17:42 PM

15. I don't know who "JP" is either........and there's an intellectually dishonest argument from those who defend The Closet.....

it's not a "private matter" for anyone - we're ALL affected by it.

the reason this Movement hasn't gained the momentum it's so sorely needed is because too many grown-adults are continuing to list excuses for why they dont' need to Come Out.

my father and mother were so amazing when I came out in my teens, and that was in large part due to the fact that gay men and women were OUT to my mother in father - church, local community, and some of my father's coworkers.

those men and women making the choice to be Out are the reason my parents were wholly ready to embrace me as a gay man when i came out in high school. those men and women effectively saved my life, and they didn't even know me.

learn this.

the only way for us to end this closet culture is to be responsible adults and to Come Out. to everyone.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jul 2, 2012 7:29:34 PM

16. Anderson Cooper 2012. kd lang 1992. Me 1986. Peter Tatchell 1969. Harvey Fierstein - Never Was.  Don't lecture me about my hardass attitude about coming out because I'm with people who know a bit more.

"If a bullet should enter my brain, let that bullet destroy every closet door in the country" H. Milk

Posted by: James in Bcn | Jul 2, 2012 7:39:40 PM

17. Now Anderson and I can ge married and I won't have to live in his closet!

Posted by: UFFDA | Jul 2, 2012 7:40:46 PM

18. James in BCN - thank you for opening the doors for me.

i sat with a group of young (under 20) "Gay Newbies" at Pride in Toronto this weekend, and you'll be happy to know bottles were raised and a toast was made, and more than a few tears shed, in genuine reverence for the brothers and sisters who came before us.

There's a legion of young queer people who are reverently grateful for the hard work you people made so that we wouldn't have to go through what you went through. we promise to pay it forward.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jul 2, 2012 8:01:48 PM

19. I agree that we all have a job to be out. Still, it takes a LOT more guts in some circumstances than others. Kudos to AC. Journalism is one of those things where a highly visible person might become a target, especially on foreign soil. I think it takes MORE guts on AC's part than it did for myself to come out.

Thank you, Anderson. And great letter.

Posted by: screech | Jul 2, 2012 8:19:32 PM

20. When I was a kid, I was so totally psyched that freakin' Steven Carrington from Dynasty kinda sorta maybe came out.
    Now, I have someone like Anderson Cooper.
    It doesn't matter how you slice it:
    Anderson's coming out just makes me feel good.
    Way to go Anderson!

Posted by: Eddie | Jul 2, 2012 9:00:08 PM

21. Great going, Anderson. You are well loved.

Posted by: Peter | Jul 2, 2012 9:00:54 PM

22. Kathy Griffin is going to have a FIELD day with this! FINALLY, she can talk about it!!

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Jul 2, 2012 9:04:37 PM

23. So proud and excited for Mr. Cooper.

Posted by: Rio Vela | Jul 2, 2012 10:26:12 PM

24. Hi ho silver fox!

Posted by: Manny Espinola | Jul 2, 2012 10:37:37 PM

25. Like I said to everyone "that's nice"

Posted by: Marky | Jul 2, 2012 11:13:08 PM