Gay Marriage | News

BigGayDeal.com

Ileana Ros-Lehtinen is First GOP Member of Congress to Support Marriage Equality

Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL) stands alone in her party on both DOMA and marriage equality, coming out for the latter this week, the Washington Blade's Chris Johnson reports:

RoslehtinenRep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, the only Republican co-sponsor of legislation to repeal the Defense of Marriage Act, confirmed on Tuesday she supports same-sex marriage after remarks she delivered at the launch of Young Conservatives for the Freedom to Marry at the Capitol Hill Club in D.C.

Asked by the Washington Blade whether she’s a supporter of same-sex marriage in addition to backing DOMA repeal, Ros-Lehtinen initially expressed confusion about why the question was being asked, saying, “I don’t know why you’re asking that. It’s such a weird way.” But she later affirmed she’s a supporter of marriage equality.

“Oh, yeah, I am,” Ros-Lehtinen said. “I thought you were trying to get some tricky thing here. No I am.”

Read Johnson's full article here.

Comments

1. Her district includes Key West. She'd kind of have to be to keep her seat.

Posted by: Mike | Jul 13, 2012 7:42:09 PM

2. Woo! She's my representative and a close family friend. I went to high school with both her kids. I disagree vehemently with her positons on Cuba, Israel, and the economy, but we agree on this issue, and she has a lot of personal integrity.

Side note. Her son, Armando Lehtinen, is a trans man. It's easy to be prejudiced when "the gays" are an abstract entity. It's much more difficult when they're sitting across from you at dinner.

Posted by: Nick | Jul 13, 2012 7:44:03 PM

3. What? I thought all Republicans were "rich racist homophobes" as per the annoying queens on this site.

Posted by: ? | Jul 13, 2012 7:47:45 PM

4. My mistake, her son's name is Rodrigo Lehtinen

Posted by: Nick | Jul 13, 2012 7:48:15 PM

5. She used gay-baiting to first get elected to Congress, the record will show.

Posted by: RANDALL | Jul 13, 2012 7:49:55 PM

6. Cool

Posted by: GeorgeM | Jul 13, 2012 7:56:06 PM

7. Allen west, j c watts, Colin Powell aren't white

Posted by: rick scatorum | Jul 13, 2012 8:27:21 PM

8. @? I am supposed to be bowled over because one GOP member out of 289 in congress does the right thing? Wow! 0.3% of their caucus supports equality. Very impressive.

Posted by: melvin | Jul 13, 2012 8:28:39 PM

9. Thanks, Melvin.

Yeah, @?, you have no clue. The politics of the Republican party is suffused with a lot of (mostly tacit; and coded-language) prejudice.

Posted by: redball | Jul 13, 2012 8:43:41 PM

10. and she was afraid the question was "tricky"....a tricky mind is always thinking that someone is tricking them...she is tricky

Posted by: Dan | Jul 13, 2012 9:00:11 PM

11. IT MAKES SENSE FOR, U. S. Rep. Iliana Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL) TO SUPPORT MARRIAGE EQUALITY SINCE THE CAUCASIAN "Women's Movement" OF THE 1970s HAS SIMILARITIES WITH THE "gay-rights" MOVEMENT. YET, YOU WILL FIND A DIFFERENT SITUATION WITH THE FEMALE MEMBERS OF, Congressional Black Caucus."

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Jul 13, 2012 10:01:39 PM

12. Don't some of the black democrat women support the repeal of DOMA? I'm not sure but I wonder. I think party will play a roll as well

Posted by: GeorgeM | Jul 13, 2012 10:07:59 PM

13. "GEORGEM,"

HELLO, SIR! HOW WAS YOUR FOURTH OF JULY!?

YES - MANY IN THE CBC MAY SAY THEY SUPPORT MARRIAGE EQUALITY IN ORDER TO BE PUBLICALLY SEEN AS BEING "IN-STEP" WITH THE BIRACIAL PRESIDENT. YET, WHEN THESE Representatives GO BACK TO THEIR DISTRICTS, THEY HAVE TO DEAL WITH THE CONSERVATIVE VIEWS OF THEIR CONSTITUENTS.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Jul 13, 2012 10:26:09 PM

14. "GEORGEM,"

RIGHT NOW, I CAN NOT REMEMBER HER NAME, BUT, I HAVE NOT HEARD ABOUT SUPPORT FROM THE FEMALE CBC-MEMBER REPRESENTING HOUSTON. I THINK U. S. Rep. Maxine Waters (D-CA) HAS GIVEN SUPPORT.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Jul 13, 2012 10:33:30 PM

15. It was good thanks, how about yours?
    I like Maxine, she can be a hard ass

Posted by: GeorgeM | Jul 13, 2012 10:44:29 PM

16. It always take a great person to raise up and do the right thing, like Abraham Lincoln who freed the slaves and today Obama who is freeing the gays. God Bless these great people who truly know the word of God when he or she said we were all created equal and to love one another.

Posted by: Mike | Jul 13, 2012 10:49:44 PM

17. I don't care what she says about gay rights. It doesn't matter. The GOP is overwhelmingly homophobic & that attitude will prevail in their policies if they maintain power.

She has nothing to loose by sounding reasonable in a district with a high density of gay voters. All she needs is to gain the support of a few gullible gays to keep her seat.

If you're gay & vote Republican, you must suffer from Stockholm Syndrome.

Posted by: JONNY NYNY2FLFL | Jul 13, 2012 10:57:42 PM

18. not surprising. she's been in favor of marriage equality for years. i first heard of her on bill maher: real time back around 2004-05 and she was speaking in favor of it then-right alongside her support for the war in iraq.

Posted by: alguien | Jul 13, 2012 11:23:31 PM

19. "JONNY NYNY2FLFL,"

SIR, YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO EXTEND AN "OLIVE BRANCH" TO A REPUBLICAN SUPPORTER?
    I THOUGHT YOU DEMOCRATS ARE TRYING TO GET YOUR AGENDA LEGALIZED. HMN...INTERESTING.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Jul 13, 2012 11:23:58 PM

20. "GEORGEM,"

I DID NOTHING ON THE FOURTH. I THINK I WAS ON THE COMPUTER ALL DAY. A FRIEND INVITED ME TO HIS BARBEQUE, BUT, I DID NOT GO. SINCE I SMOKE AND DRINK, I DO NOT LIKE OUTDOOR HEAT. I ALSO DO NOT LIKE LARGE CROWDS. I LIKE GRILLED MEAT WITHOUT BARBEQUE SAUCE. MY FRIEND ONLY SERVES BEER. I RARELY DRINK BEER BECAUSE OF THE HIGH-WATER CONTENT; LIQUOR GOES BEST WITH MY CIGAR.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Jul 13, 2012 11:31:15 PM

21. @ Rick Scatorum, why would you put Powell in the same company as West and Wyatt? That's ridiculous.

Posted by: John | Jul 13, 2012 11:40:26 PM

22. I assume she's not welcome at GOProud meetings.

Posted by: BobN | Jul 13, 2012 11:41:08 PM

23. She's a closet lesbian. What was that “I thought you were trying to get some tricky thing here. No I am.” What tricky thing honey?

Posted by: Wesley | Jul 13, 2012 11:53:09 PM

24. Lol
    I can only do beer now, I'm no good on the hard stuff
    At least you got an invit

Posted by: GeorgeM | Jul 14, 2012 12:53:58 AM

25. Andy Towle, YOUR WEBPAGE POP-UPS ARE DISTRACTING! EVERY TIME I GO TO A NEW PAGE, A POP-UP FOR FEEDBACK APPEARS. I GAVE MY FEEDBACK A FEW DAYS AGO; YOU SHOULD HAVE IT. PLEASE REMOVE THIS POP-UP! UGH!

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON