Colorado | Discrimination | News

Colorado Baker Says He'll Close Shop Before Being Forced to Bake a Gay Wedding Cake: VIDEO

Phillip

I've mentioned the controversy over the Masterpiece Cake Shop in Lakewood, Colorado before, but FOX29 went and spoke with the shop's owner Jack Philip who vows to close his bakery before being forced by protesters to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple.

"If it came to that point, we would close down the bakery before we would compromise our beliefs so that may be what it comes to. We'll see."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Video may take a few seconds to load...

WMBFNews.com, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather

Comments

1. How unfabulous, baker boy.

Posted by: BRYANT | Jul 30, 2012 2:34:51 PM

2. A phrase comes to mind that my mom always used to favor, "Cutting off your nose to spite your face."

Posted by: VoenixRising | Jul 30, 2012 2:35:48 PM

3. I will gladly provide the boards and nails. No business should be allowed to discriminate...NONE! You are entitled to your opinion. If you operate in the marketplace, you provide services for everyone. You don't like Blacks, tough. You don't like gays, tough. Go find a line of work that better suits you. Maybe a Catholic priest.

Posted by: candideinnc | Jul 30, 2012 2:37:40 PM

4. It's getting really irritating with people playing the "belief" card every time they have to do their job.

You don't have to go to the wedding.
    You don't have to approve.
    You don't have to buy them a present.
    You don't have to watch them on their wedding night or honeymoon.
    You don't have to tell you kids.
    You don't have to get gay married yourself.

So just own it, Huck, Chick-fil-A, CO bigoted cake-baker, etc. - YOU'RE BIGOTS.

History will remember you as such.

Posted by: kpo5 | Jul 30, 2012 2:39:29 PM

5. And the gays will be blamed for people being out of business and the recession...

Posted by: Chris in Irvine | Jul 30, 2012 2:39:36 PM

6. I don't like wishing ill on people, but I hope that is what it comes to. What a silly, silly reason over which to lose a business. And why do they always have to add the footnote of "I won't make a gay cake, but I don't have anything against gay people". You do. You have something against gay people. I hope any gay people you have working for you, or gay people you have as customers realize this, and suddenly leave.

Posted by: Brian | Jul 30, 2012 2:39:40 PM

7. I actually support him. He owns a private business and as such is free to turn away any customers he wants. I don't agree with him doing it, but it is his right. He is not a place of public accomodation or a government office. Here's a thought, rather than protesting his business, just go elsewhere.

Posted by: Michael | Jul 30, 2012 2:39:59 PM

8. "forced to bake a gay wedding cake" the visual of that just cracked me up.

Posted by: bryan | Jul 30, 2012 2:40:55 PM

9. I agree with Michael. If this guy doesn't want to make a gay wedding cake, fine. I don't think he should be forced to. Although, I wouldn't ever buy anything he sold.

Posted by: jay | Jul 30, 2012 2:43:34 PM

10. Why would any gay person even WANT to buy a cake from a baker who takes such an extreme stance against gays? He doesn't necessarily deserve to lose his business (it's his right) but seriously, just take your dollars elsewhere!

Posted by: Jason | Jul 30, 2012 2:45:19 PM

11. So, this guy won't sell you a gay wedding cake because he's morally opposed to your lifestyle, but he'll supposedly hire a gay person and work next to him or her every day in his own business? Do these types of positions really make sense to the people who espouse them?

I wonder if he would make a cake for an interracial straight couple. I mean, the Bible specifically forbids intermarriage between races in several places. Someone should ask him that.

Posted by: Chris | Jul 30, 2012 2:47:22 PM

12. I think for services which are truly necessary (I.e. medical services, food accommodation, lodging/hotels, and fuel/auto-repair services) it should be absolutely illegal to discriminate against any group. I don't honk any business should- but in order to make the bigot's side look all the more worse- just don't use their business. Do you want my money to make my cake- fine! Be a jerk and make less money.

Posted by: Scott | Jul 30, 2012 2:50:26 PM

13. What's his problem? He's under no obligation to sell a cake for a gay wedding.

If he doesn't like protesters, well, that's another problem.

Posted by: Guy | Jul 30, 2012 2:50:54 PM

14. For those supporting this guy; you seem to not understand - there are non-discrimination laws for a reason. If you choose to run a business, you agree to those abide by the laws. You can refuse to serve an individual customer based on some stated criteria (no shoes, no service), but you can't refuse a whole class of people based on some bigoted rationale. Next it would be Jews, or Appalachians, or Native Americans.

Posted by: Jimcracky | Jul 30, 2012 2:50:59 PM

15. At first I thought, Well he might just have lost some business, along with the gays know better bakers anyway---the kind that wouldn't put razor blades in your wedding cake---along with there obviously aren't scads of gays getting married in Lakewood since, you know, it's not legal.

Then I thought F it. Have 10 couples go in and request gay wedding cakes. No need to protest. Just be polite and see if he sticks to his word about closing down. My guess is no unless he's way behind on paying his rent/mortgage/suppliers. How is this even a story?

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 30, 2012 2:51:55 PM

16. The guy has no obligation to bake a wedding cake for anyone, gay couple or straight couple. It's his prerogative. I think some of us need to get our priorities correct here. Forcing a small business owner to bake a gay wedding cake is about as stupid a move on our people's part as I have yet seen. Leave the guy alone. There are bigger fish to fry than picking on a small business owner, no matter how bigoted he/she might be.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jul 30, 2012 2:52:02 PM

17. Actually, Michael, it is illegal to deny this service to a federally protected class under the Federal Civil Rights Act. Since gay people aren't a federally protected class, it gets a little less certain and depends on more local protections.

Posted by: Brian | Jul 30, 2012 2:52:40 PM

18. What a selfish man.

Posted by: Randy | Jul 30, 2012 2:54:27 PM

19. Trust me this man was given this shop by his dad. No real business person would ever act this way. What a Romney.

Posted by: Jacquejs Rosas | Jul 30, 2012 2:57:28 PM

20. @Michael Here's the problem with that argument. There is no such thing as a gay wedding cake, there is just wedding cake, who it is sold to is of no consequence. Since it is a cake he would bake for anyone else, but not these people, it ceases to be a "private owners right" and becomes a violation of public accomodations law.

Here's a vulgar but simple example.

gay couple walks into a bakery and want a wedding cake shaped like a giant penis...baker says no we won't bake that cake for anyone. No problem because they won't provide that service for anyone.

Gay couple walks into a bakery and chooses a cake and says "we want that one", and the baker says " we sell that cake, we just won't sell it to you". PROBLEM. because of public accommodations laws. The fact is that they want to purchase a product he produces, he has denied selling it to them because of the intended purpose which is none of his concern. In reality, once you have purchased the cake, it is yours to serve at a wedding, funeral, throw it on the ground, whatever...without the bakers permission.

Posted by: Chris | Jul 30, 2012 2:57:51 PM

21. "Gay Wedding Cake?" Since when did cakes have a sexuality? (Thanks to a certain movie I do know pies take it in the hole)

Posted by: Craig | Jul 30, 2012 2:59:54 PM

22. as the shocked baker came downstairs in the middle of the night and confronted the gorgeously dressed intruders he shouted "What do you want. My money, my credit card details, the keys to my safe...

NO shouted the handsome and sexy young men, we just want you to bake us a fabulous wedding cake, with lovely rainbow icing and marzipan figurines to die for...

Posted by: Den | Jul 30, 2012 3:03:42 PM

23. @JAMAL49. yes actually he is. If he has a business open to the public, then he is required to sell product to whoever enters his premises. Just as the clerk at Macys can't choose who gets to buy a shirt, or the grocer doesn't get to sell cereal to one person, and not the next. He sells wedding cakes, he is required to treat customers equally.

One of the problems here is that people are getting hung up on the "making the cake" part as if it were some creative endeavor like Ace of Cakes. This is stuff sold out of a book of cakes, pick your cake, flavor and frosting, and that's it. The man actually admitted he would make it if he was told it was for a birthday. So he is discriminating based on where and to whom food will be served.

Posted by: Chris | Jul 30, 2012 3:06:25 PM

24. Thank you, Chris. There are far too many people out there (and, it seems, in here) who jump to defend discriminatory business owners. If the free market were effective in curtailing this kind of behavior, then it would have done so already. It's not effective, which is why we have civil rights statutes.

Posted by: The Milkman | Jul 30, 2012 3:07:06 PM

25. Apparently, he also has a strong resistance to cleaning the grime out from under his fingernails. If I saw any foodhandler with nails that dirty, I'd do a 180 out of that establishment post-haste.

I don't think that proponents of equality should try to persuade him to bake the couple a cake. In the first place, who would want to eat a cake baked under that kind of duress?

I do think that it is completely and highly appropriate for the individuals involved to make their experience know to the public, and for supporters of equality to permanently boycott the business. Let the bigot keep his cake. And eat it too!

Posted by: Suzy Homemaker | Jul 30, 2012 3:08:05 PM