Cam Janssen | Gay Slurs | GLAAD | Hockey | News

New Jersey Devils' Cam Janssen Apologizes for Anti-Gay Language in Radio Interview

New Jersey Devils forward Cam Janssen today released a statement via his organization apologizing for language he used in an interview earlier this week:

Janssen"Earlier this week, I participated in an internet-based radio show in which I used some poor judgment which I now regret. The New Jersey Devils were unaware of this interview, which I arranged myself.

"I would like to apologize for my poor choice of language. The tone of the interview was very casual and off-color, and I lost focus on what is and is not acceptable and professional. I am deeply sorry to anyone who was offended by my language. Moving forward, I hope to eliminate that type of language from my vocabulary. I would also like to take this chance to express my support for the work the You Can Play project is doing, and for the gay community in general.

"I apologize for the embarrassment my comments have caused to the New Jersey Devils management, as well as my teammates."

Said Janssen in the interview:

Janssen: "There's some sh*t-talkin' that goes down that pisses some people off. There's a lot of personal sh*t, man, like, guys know personal sh*t. ... You wanna get in people's heads to get them off their f*ckin' game and don't get me wrong, you don't wanna go too deep with sh*t because we all have our issues here. Let's be honest."

Host: "But if the guy was suckin' c*ck four weeks ago, you're gonna let him know about it?"

Janssen: "Oh, if he's suckin' c*ck, he's gettin' his ass kicked." [laughter]

Janssen also compared losing to the Kings to "the first time you bang a fat chick."

Patrick Burke of the You Can Play project, which battles homophobia in pro hockey, accepted Janssen's apology: "People unwilling to give Cam a chance to learn from his mistakes are doing no more to support You Can Play than he did in his interview."

Comments

1. He said he has issues too and didn't want to go too deep into someones head, which is a way to throw a person off their game. so I wonder how many c*cks he has sucked?

Posted by: Mike | Jul 13, 2012 11:55:36 AM

2. Exactly in what type of interview do people talk like this?

You'd think that sports figures would have heard about other athletes saying homophobic things and learned not to go there when they are being interviewed. Guess not.

Posted by: Jack M | Jul 13, 2012 11:56:11 AM

3. Now he's just somebody that I used to know.

Posted by: Steve Pardue | Jul 13, 2012 12:09:17 PM

4. Now he's just somebody that I used to know.

Posted by: Steve Pardue | Jul 13, 2012 12:10:48 PM

5. Patrick Burke is a class act. 100%.

Posted by: Jeremy | Jul 13, 2012 12:13:58 PM

6. What a retarded interview. Who the F would ask something like that to begin with? That's the kind of sh*t boys say in the 8th grade. What are they trying to appear 'hard' or something? There's a lot of sh*t on sports radio. Howard Stern a one or two other people where the only ones talking smack like this 20 years ago. We can partially thank them for lowering the bar and making it acceptable.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jul 13, 2012 12:16:02 PM

7. Actually my problem is more with the jackass hosts. They got fired from a radio station in St Louis and took to doing the all important " unapologetic" podcast.

It's something called the Thom and Jeff show, easily google, yahoo or bing-able.

Janssen replied sincerely and I accept it.

But from the looks of the website, looks like the hosts have some masculinity issues they are dealing with.

Posted by: A Moose | Jul 13, 2012 12:17:57 PM

8. Notice that he apologizes only for his language, not the sentiment. Well, we know where he stands.

Posted by: Johnson | Jul 13, 2012 12:42:05 PM

9. Wait until we see the results from the ballot initiatives in Minnesota, Maryland, Maine and Washington State, and we'll see who gets their ass kicked. And by the way, that's not a game like hockey, that's real life.

Posted by: Artie_in_Lauderdale | Jul 13, 2012 12:56:44 PM

10. What a homophobic misogynist creep. He deserves to get his ass called on the carpet for this. Has he been living under a rock his entire life? Nope, he thinks this is acceptable language and he is simply apologizing to protect his career.

Posted by: Kevin | Jul 13, 2012 1:09:43 PM

11. Im guessing that Janssen has now become the Nhl's "go-to-guy" for stupid comments, since Sean Avery was put on waivers and disappeared.

Posted by: emma | Jul 13, 2012 3:00:30 PM

12. He apologizes for his "language" when he really should have apologized for the sentiment behind his ignorant comment. He's sorry for the language he was using but apparently not for his suggestion that he would bash a player simply for being gay. In the face of this fact his "support" for the You Can Play project and the gay community in general is nothing but paying lip service, IMHO.

Posted by: Peter M. | Jul 13, 2012 3:09:24 PM

13. I Agree with the fat chick part though LOL

Posted by: EatGine | Jul 13, 2012 3:52:18 PM

14. Sorry but this is one time we should tell him to choke on the apology. I understand being mad and calling someone a fag in the heat if the moment or cracking a joke using the tried and once true method of homophobia but this was neither. You can't just say crap like he said then apologize when the price tag is made apparent and think you'll just be able to get away with it.

Posted by: Michael | Jul 13, 2012 4:21:18 PM

15. Sorry but this is one time we should tell him to choke on the apology. I understand being mad and calling someone a fag in the heat if the moment or cracking a joke using the tried and once true method of homophobia but this was neither. You can't just say crap like he said then apologize when the price tag is made apparent and think you'll just be able to get away with it.

Posted by: Michael | Jul 13, 2012 4:21:20 PM

16. HATERosexual

Posted by: Bill | Jul 13, 2012 5:20:34 PM

17. HATERosexual

Posted by: Bill | Jul 13, 2012 5:20:39 PM

18. And do you really expect some intelligent pro gay comment from a hockey player?

Posted by: jaragon | Jul 13, 2012 5:29:19 PM

19. NO excuse for using hateful language directed at gays in a time when MOST civil minded people should know that there are enough homophobic bullies driving gay people to harm themselves. Time to have a zero tolerance policy for this action

Posted by: Real Talk | Jul 13, 2012 6:06:03 PM

20. I'm so sick of hearing apologies when it's related to gay slurs and anti gay speech. How come when it comes to racism, or religion bashing, or bashing of any other demographic...people THINK before they speak and know better, yet when it pertains to homophobia...they say it, speak it, then when called out for it "they apologize"....GIMME A BREAK!

How about you DON'T make homophobic statements to begin with

Posted by: MeMy | Jul 13, 2012 6:07:51 PM

21. I think we need to get the message out there that it is not okay to make these derogatory statements about our community from the start. The apologies are all starting to become one big blur, and it's getting tiresome to constantly be told to forgive all these homophobic commentary just because the person apologized. We're talking about grown adults here, not children who run their mouth. A grown adult shouldn't be given a free pass to make insulting remarks at gays just because others do too. And again, the apologies are getting old.

Posted by: Jackson | Jul 13, 2012 6:09:42 PM

22. When these highly paid but lowly minded jocks go on and on in detail amongst themselves about how disgusting homosexuality is, and then offer some pansy-assed kowtowing wimpy "strategic" non-apology, I'm very often tempted to yell at them "Yeah, you had your face down in that c**t last night. Have you been tested for herpes yet? Like that stench of yeast?" or any other kind of disease. Do they think (or, more importantly, would their wives think) that some pansy-assed non-apology would be sufficient? That Golden Rule ALWAYS comes in handy about how to conduct yourself with your fellow humans, doesn't it?

Posted by: Tom Cardellino | Jul 14, 2012 10:06:30 PM

23. Apology accepted. Now move on. All the PC freaks who have never said or done anything wrong can cast the first stone. Anyone ?????????? I thought so!

Posted by: andrew | Jul 15, 2012 3:21:49 AM