2012 Olympics | I'm Gay | News | Olympics | Sports

BigGayDeal.com

South African Archer Comes Out at the Olympics: 'I am an Archer, Middle Aged and a Lesbian'

Hultzer

Outsports' Cyd Zeigler, writing for SB Nation, gets the first public statement from Karen Hultzer, a South African Archer who was identified as a lesbian by her partner Tracy Saunders, to South African LGBT site Mamba Online.

SB Nation:

Hultzer was kind enough to reach back out to us today after realizing the cat was out of the bag. She told us to "go wild." She also gave Outsports her first public statement about her sexual orientation:

"I am an archer, middle aged and a lesbian. I am also cranky before my first cup of coffee. None of these aspects define who I am, they are simply part of me. I am fortunate that my sexual identity is not an issue, and I don’t suffer the level of discrimination and violence that black lesbians in South Africa do. I look forward to the day when this is a non-issue and as relevant as my eye color or favorite sushi."

Hultzer now increases the number of out Olympians to 22. She is only the second South African Summer Olympian to come out, following beach volleyballer Leigh-Ann Naidoo in 2004. She is the first archer to do so.

Comments

1. Karen Hultzer's comment is terrific!
    Funny, concise and to the point. She has a new fan in me!

Posted by: Jack | Jul 31, 2012 10:44:28 AM

2. Favorite sushi: sushi.

Posted by: topher | Jul 31, 2012 10:45:39 AM

3. Very candid and self-aware comments, especially concerning the more discriminatory and violent existence that black South African lesbians can face. I liked that she just confirmed the disclosure without hemming and hawing.

Posted by: Alberto | Jul 31, 2012 6:34:22 PM

4. LOL. No way you would know she is a "woman" from that photo.

And I am so glad to see the earth-shattering, stereotype-busting progress on that list of 22 "out" athletes......all but 3 are lesbians (reinforcing the lesbo butch image) and of the three male "athletes", two are horse-riders in the effete "sport" of equestrian......

How exciting (sarcasm intended).....

Posted by: Rick | Jul 31, 2012 7:24:22 PM

5. Restrained control relating to mulberry hobo carrier tote bags on the web mulberry neighborhood retail outlet, the particular individual perfect are usually variety due to mulberry bags.

Posted by: mulberry bags | Aug 4, 2012 5:38:27 AM

6. His small temporary exhibition Jimmy Choo Discount are placed in the dazzling evening shoes and attractive high boots. For private senior footwear customization, Jimmy Choo Shoes business is quite good, Zhou Yangjie is ready to open a branch office in the United States of america. However, Jimmy Choo Shoes Sale grow into an international top brands, it is in the Tamara Mellon joined. When in the Jimmy Choo 2012 version of the Vogue do accessories editor Mellon when he met Zhou Yangjie, she was thinking of how to span a luxury Cheap Jimmy Choo designer and market gap between. Mellon feel at the beginning of 90 time is rarely find everything fresh and new Jimmy Choo Outlet, fashion accessories design in downhill. But when people wear trend of Jimmy Choo Boots, many people wear jeans. In this environment, women need Jimmy Choo Bridal Shoes and luggage by reflect their social status. In 1996, Me Takashi persuaded the father to Jimmy Choo Sandals -- vs founder -- investment of 150000 pounds, and Zhou Yangjie formed a partnership to establish finished footwear company Jimmy Choo Slingbacks, and Motcomb in London Street opened the first boutique store Jimmy Choo Thigh High Boots. abvjjfkkf

Posted by: Jimmy Choo Shoes | Aug 9, 2012 3:36:32 AM

7. Adidas Soccer Shoes, soccer team uniforms, click to read more information, cheap soccer shoes 2012, soccer jersey cheap, Cheap Soccer Uniforms, cheap soccer shoes , http://www.2012cheapsoccerjerseys.com/europe-spain-jerseys-c-17_25_28.html, jerseys for cheap, Soccer Uniforms, Cheap Soccer Jerseys, soccer jerseys, http://www.2012cheapsoccerjerseys.com/, http://www.2012cheapsoccerjerseys.com/2012-soccer-shoes-adidas-soccer-shoes-c-48_49.html

Posted by: Cheap Soccer Jerseys | Sep 8, 2012 10:32:21 AM