"Ex-Gays" | News | Religion

Trouble In Heterosexual Paradise For 'Ex-Gay' Activists John And Anna Paulk?

PaulkJohnA few months ago John Paulk, the former chairman of "ex-gay" group Exodus International and a poster boy for the movement, changed his Facebook page to say he's "interested in men and women."

Now the LGBT group Truth Wins Out reports that John and wife Anna, another activist in the "ex-gay" scene and John's co-author on Love Won Out, are splitting up and that Mr. Paulk has been dating men.

Sources tell Truth Wins Out today that John has moved out of the couple’s Portland, Oregon home. Other sources in Portland have informed Truth Wins Out that Paulk was dating a man, although the current status of that relationship remains murky, and that Paulk has frequented homosexual establishments in the city.

Paulk also recently penned a Facebook message about his wedding date, writing, "Although a lot has occurred since that day long ago and I am on a hard journey right now, I want this woman to know how much she has always meant to me and that no matter where things pan out."

You know that song "Things That Make You Go Hmmm"? This is it in action.

Comments

1. how long before these fools' supporters realize that THIS IS HOW IT IS??

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Jul 19, 2012 7:06:08 PM

2. What a mess! How awful it is to force yourself into being someone you are not. Talk about destroying your mental/emotional/physical health- yikes.

Posted by: Timothy | Jul 19, 2012 7:06:21 PM

3. Why on earth do people declare their sexual orientation on Facebook? Is it because they are using it as a dating site? Sheesh.

Posted by: jason | Jul 19, 2012 7:07:15 PM

4. This post didn't shock me, but re-affirms the positive choice I made for myself. As an 18 year old that traveled to Urbana/Champagne for a World Mission Conference, I was strategically placed by my church to attend John's seminar with his wife. Upon completing the seminar, I was inspired to go through the "healing" process and admit myself to Healing Waters (a rehabilitation center for gays). Upon researching it more, I was still apprehensive of my decision. How could I go to college and live in this compound, how can these innate desires COMPLETELY change? Fortunately for me, my parents still had an influence on my decision making and denied me the funds to go. Thank for you sharing this post and I hope more people realize the need to love and respect the things we can not change.

Posted by: Matthew | Jul 19, 2012 7:35:34 PM

5. What? An higher up in Exodus International, the Righteous and Wonderful Ex-Gay ministry.. has been having sex with men? I'm shocked... really..

Not.

Posted by: theotherlee | Jul 19, 2012 7:42:58 PM

6. He's been having sex with men for years. He was famously outed about six to eight years ago when he was caught in a Dupont Circle gay bar.

These people are liars and grifters.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jul 19, 2012 7:50:35 PM

7. And we're surprised? Really? Come on people. Gay is gay, it doesn't change, you can deny it, you can push it down, you can ignore it, but it's always there... Poor misguided self hating man. I'll keep an eye out for him around PDX...

Posted by: pdxblueyes | Jul 19, 2012 7:52:45 PM

8. Why shouldn't he be interested in women? Just because you're interested in men, it doesn't mean you can never be interested in women.

I had a straight-identifying male friend of mine who was asked once by a man in a gay bar to teach him how to do it with women. The man wanted to be coached by the straight guy.

Posted by: jason | Jul 19, 2012 7:58:01 PM

9. WHEN YOUR HUSBAND LOOKS LIKE A LESBIAN ON YOUR BOOK COVER.....
    This may be a clue

Posted by: Bob | Jul 19, 2012 7:58:21 PM

10. Well you have to give the closeted gay guy some credited. He lost some weight, dyed his hair, and I'm sure did a little plastic surgery.

Plus with hot guys who work for catering company like this:

How can he resist his own urges. LOL

Posted by: FunMe | Jul 19, 2012 8:26:11 PM

11. @Bob...LOL--was thinking the same thing!

Posted by: Chicklets | Jul 19, 2012 8:26:26 PM

12. I don't celebrate anyone's divorce (aside from maybe Tomkat), but this guy needs to just shut up and go away. He brought a lot of misery onto people and made his share of profits off of it.

Posted by: patrick | Jul 19, 2012 8:28:35 PM

13. Then you have him lusting on his own YOUNG staff:

He writes: " I'm excited about the expertise, and professionalism he brings to Mezzaluna. I also like the mischievous look he's got going on here! Fun in store for us I think..."

Yeah right. "expertise" LOL

Posted by: FunMe | Jul 19, 2012 8:30:23 PM

14. If you Google images of John Paulk he looks like a Gibb brother who got kicked out of the Bee-Gees for being too light in the loafers.

No one who follows these ex-gay groups can be terribly surprised by this. In fact it seems the higher profile you are in the movement the sooner you come out, but there's always another Bible-beaten bozo waiting in the wings to to announce what a rugged heterosexual he is now.

The fundies are *pissed* that Chambers of Exodus has said publicly that sexuality doesn't change. He's still a dope for clinging to the rest of their idiotic message but anyone who puts sand in the Religious Right's metaphorical vagina can't be ALL bad.

Posted by: Caliban | Jul 19, 2012 8:36:42 PM

15. That means there will be a major revised edition of the book.

Posted by: simon | Jul 19, 2012 8:41:43 PM

16. Self loathing freak.

Posted by: Dc20008 | Jul 19, 2012 8:43:31 PM

17. Not suprising at all. I was married to a woman for 18 years. I would tell myself over and over again that I was attracted to women. All the while I'm fantasizing about other men. I went through reparitive theraphy as well. A total waste of time and money!! My heart goes out to these men but I really feel a great deal of sadness for the women that marry them. A gay man can never give a woman what she really needs in a marriage, sexually and emotionally. Just as a woman can never give a gay man what he needs. These marriages are doomed from the start. When will these idiotic evangelicals types get it!?!

Posted by: Alan | Jul 19, 2012 8:43:47 PM

18. I don't think Paulk is self-loathing at all. He's simply not allowing himself to be forced into the false choice between gay and straight. A lot of you like to push this false choice onto men because it suits your purpose of a political gay identity. You want there to be a divide.

As I said in my earlier post, I knew a gay-identifying man who asked a straight guy to coach him in the joys of heterosexuality. He wanted to know how to do it.

Posted by: jason | Jul 19, 2012 8:53:38 PM

19. Yeah love won out alright GAY LOVE- LOL

Posted by: jaragon | Jul 19, 2012 9:46:54 PM

20. What a dumb ass.

Posted by: cuteboyfromjersey | Jul 19, 2012 9:51:25 PM

21. These antigay Christian psychotherapist are just that, Psychos. They electric shock gay children to make them "straight" while a priest prays the gay away. This is something out of a horror movie only worse. It is really torture in the name of the Christian religion and psychotherapy. These antigay Christian psychotherapist and the antigay Christians who help them torture gay children with their "treatments" need to be arrested and put in prison to keep them from harming another child.

Posted by: Mike | Jul 19, 2012 9:57:55 PM

22. Is this what the self-righteous right, the tea partyers, and the the religious dogmatics are talking about when they say gays are destroying the institution of marriage?

Posted by: Mitch | Jul 19, 2012 10:01:39 PM

23. I hear Ken Mehlman and Reikers are both looking for a new boyfriend.

Posted by: Michaelandfred | Jul 19, 2012 10:01:45 PM

24. MEDIA NEEDS TO REPORT THIS! This will do wonders for public opinion

Posted by: Paul | Jul 19, 2012 10:05:09 PM

25. Can we all please pitch this story to every major news outlet. I agree, this needs to get out.

Posted by: Jillian Seattle | Jul 19, 2012 10:06:40 PM