Ezra Miller | I'm Gay | News

Actor Ezra Miller: 'I'm Queer'

Ezra_miller

Actor Ezra Miller, who played Tilda Swinton's son Kevin (above) in We Need to Talk About Kevin, and plays a gay character in the upcoming Perks of Being a Wallflower, comes out of the closet in an interview with OUT:

“I’m queer. I have a lot of really wonderful friends who are of very different sexes and genders. I am very much in love with no one in particular. I’ve been trying to figure out relationships, you know? I don’t know if it’s responsible for kids of my age to be so aggressively pursuing monogamous binds, because I don’t think we’re ready for them. The romanticism within our culture dictates that that’s what you’re supposed to be looking for. Then [when] we find what we think is love -- even if it is love -- we do not yet have the tools. I do feel that it’s possible to be at this age unintentionally hurtful, just by being irresponsible -- which is fine. I’m super down with being irresponsible. I’m just trying to make sure my lack of responsibility no longer hurts people. That’s where I’m at in the boyfriend/girlfriend/zefriend type of question.”

Comments

1. YAY! Now my delusions have a little spark of reality!

Posted by: HM2 Matt | Aug 15, 2012 2:14:43 PM

2. We Need To Talk About How Hot Kevin's Gonna Be

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Aug 15, 2012 2:19:29 PM

3. The movie "We need to talk about Kevin" left my roommate and I completely emotionally drained ... which is what it was supposed to do! Great acting, can't wait to see where his career leads.

Posted by: reality | Aug 15, 2012 2:28:20 PM

4. self-identifying as queer is not the same as "coming out of the closet." many queers are suspicious of positioning the closet as an epistemic register.

Posted by: Alex | Aug 15, 2012 2:32:48 PM

5. I knew a girl who had an "epistemic register" once.

And then she died.

Posted by: Jeff NYC | Aug 15, 2012 2:44:13 PM

6. Terrible movie, irritatingly unlikable character, old-timey praenomen. I refuse to care.

Posted by: Otkon | Aug 15, 2012 2:49:50 PM

7. @Alex: You just contradicted your statement in the same sentence

@Otkon: The charachter was supposed to be unlikable.

Posted by: rYAN | Aug 15, 2012 2:58:59 PM

8. I, for one, am SHOCKED that someone found his sociopathic murderous character "irritatingly unlikeable".

I mean, I suppose we like our sibling-and-father-and-classmate murdering youth sociopaths to be warmer and more ingratiating, eh? ;-)

LMFAO!

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Aug 15, 2012 3:02:43 PM

9. He makes really interesting choices when it comes to roles/films... not unlike Ryan Gosling did at an early age. Anything he's in is probably worth seeing... he was stellar in Afterschool.

Posted by: kaccompany | Aug 15, 2012 3:06:34 PM

10. The Out article is little more than a long series of spoilers for the film. Don't read it unless you plan to skip the movie, because it gives away virtually all of the plot.

Really unprofessional pieced of writing.

Posted by: bcarter3 | Aug 15, 2012 3:07:51 PM

11. Okay, now what?

Posted by: anon | Aug 15, 2012 3:08:00 PM

12. lol... ironically i was at his IMDB page yesterday and from some of his questionable clothing choices decided that he wasnt gay

Posted by: Homo Genius | Aug 15, 2012 3:10:10 PM

13. This is the most ambiguous coming out that I've ever heard. I'm thankful that my course was one directional from the beginning.

Posted by: ThinkItThrough | Aug 15, 2012 3:16:53 PM

14. @ Ryan: you're right, I should have been clearer -- thanks! I didn't mean "suspicious" in that queers don't think the closet exists -- a lot of early queer theory talks about the regime of the "open secret" and it's accompanying contradictory rules, binarisms, etcetera, but a lot of effort is put toward resisting them, deconstructing them. So, one's self-identifaction as queer would not necessarily be framed in terms of "coming out" as it may reinforce that which one seeks to deconstruct. Sorry, you probably are familiar with this stuff and I don't mean to be pedantic!

Posted by: Alex | Aug 15, 2012 3:21:44 PM

15. @kacompany I mostly agree but I can't say Ryan Gosling made the same choices at his age. Gosling spent the better part of his early career firmly in the clutches of Disney. I wouldn't really call "Breaker High" or "Young Hercules" television worth seeing.

Posted by: Charles | Aug 15, 2012 3:23:56 PM

16. The "...Kevin" movie was good but the book was truly excellent, very detailed and building slowly, to an ending more thought provoking than the film.

After seeing the movie I looked up Ezra Miller and his career really started with singing opera as a child. He's in an indie band now which, though not my cup of tea, is interesting. In an interview when the film was released he made a comment about "happy ending" sleep-overs he'd had with other boys growing up so this wasn't entirely out of left field.

I see actors like him as the anti-Zac Efron/Justin Bieber etc., not a product (at least not yet) but someone who wants to take interesting roles, build their cred on work instead of lunchbox sales.

Posted by: Caliban | Aug 15, 2012 3:26:18 PM

17. @ThinkItThrough You came out because of One Direction?

Posted by: bcarter3 | Aug 15, 2012 3:34:04 PM

18. Ezra who? Seriously, and I'm not being a troll or mean spirited.

Posted by: ratbastard | Aug 15, 2012 3:43:27 PM

19. OK, I checked his wiki page. Ezra comes from a very nice and privileged upper middle class NJ town, and his mom and dad are both 'professionals' [father executive at Walt Disney book publishing, mom a modern dancer]. Ezra needless to say has befitted greatly from dad and mom's connections and $. If some wonder why it seems the same old,same old always seem to get to the top in the entertainment industry or arts, it's called nepotism.

Yes, this is a mean spirited post. Nothing personal, Ezra.

Posted by: ratbastard | Aug 15, 2012 3:49:52 PM

20. He's very self-aware and articulate.

Posted by: Jack M | Aug 15, 2012 3:56:25 PM

21. He's the real deal, fantastic in We Need to Talk About Kevin and The Riches. It makes me proud that he's one of us.

Posted by: jimstoic | Aug 15, 2012 3:59:41 PM

22. his performance in "...Kevin" was haunting. He's the real deal, for sure.

And apparently brought up by some pretty darn sensational parents, too. Well met, padawan!

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Aug 15, 2012 5:01:56 PM

23. I have no respect for any gay person who calls himself "queer." No matter how sophisticated and postmodern he thinks he is being, he is really denigrating himself. And the "ze-friend" thing is beyond ridiculous.

Hopefully, he'll come to see the "queer" phenomenon as the shallow, hipster-ish, stale-20-years-ago,self-abuse that it is.

Posted by: Dan | Aug 15, 2012 5:24:48 PM

24. WNTTAK was pretty much a reboot of The Problem Child saga. And a poor one at that.

Posted by: zey | Aug 15, 2012 5:54:55 PM

25. "I have no respect for any gay person who calls himself "queer.""

@Dan: I don't assume he's gay (and, in fact, his full statement would seem to suggest otherwise).
    When I hear someone self-describe as "queer", I tend to think it means something like "radically anti-establishment" or "radically different from the norm" around sexuality (identity, orientation or both).
    But it doesn't really tell me if they are gay, straight, bi, (or pansexual or trisexual if such terms are usable) or trans or intersexed or rejecting any type gender and/or sexual orientation labels.
    I don't like the term "queer" at all, but I know that some people choose to use it; when they do use it, it only means whatever that individual thinks it means but it doesn't clarify anything about them to me as the listener.

Posted by: GregV | Aug 15, 2012 6:17:33 PM