2012 Olympics | Jeff Sheng | News | Olympics | Photography | Sports

Photographer Jeff Sheng Presents 'Fearless', His Epic Portrait Project of More Than 150 Out LGBT Athletes: VIDEO

Fearless1 Fearless2

Jeff Sheng presented his project "Fearless", his ongoing photo series of over 150 LGBT high school and college athletes, at Pride House 2012 at the London Olympic Games, for the first time. Selections from the series hav been edited into a compelling slideshow narrated by Sheng.

Check it out AFTER THE JUMP...

He's also begun a fundraising drive sponsored by Nike to turn this series into a photograph book next year: FearlessPhotobook.com.

I've posted about another of Sheng's projects here before — his series of closeted gay and lesbian servicemembers pre-DADT repeal.

Pride House from Jeff Sheng on Vimeo.

Comments

1. This video was amazing, really hit home with me in a personal way, and made me cry actually. I too quit a sport that I was dedicated to as college approached, suspecting that if I was in fact gay, then I would never be accepted among fellow athletes.

Yeah, I know, it's not made to benefit me; but maybe I would have benefited very concretely had I came across this video some years ago.

IMHO, this is THE most significant and relevant project related to gays in sports right now. More support and coverage of this dude's project, please.

love ya, as always, TR. If I didn't follow ya, I don't know how I'd ever be clued in to stuff...

Posted by: just_a_guy | Aug 3, 2012 8:07:18 PM

2. Having been in publishing, including self-publishing and publishing other authors, I'm surprised at the cost. $50,000 seems high to me, unless he is planning a very large print run, which doesn't make sense to me in a niche market.

Posted by: James Peron | Aug 3, 2012 11:42:07 PM

3. As an out athlete at Vassar College, I hope that work like this will make it easier for athletes from schools were being out isn't so simple and easy realize that they too don't have to be someone they're not in order to be athletes.

Posted by: athlete | Aug 4, 2012 12:13:26 AM

4. I find Mr. Sheng's work truly inspiring in a way, but it seems to focus solely on the elite athletes who are gifted enough to be worthy of our attention. What about the not-so-fantastic athletic gay men and women who are tearing down stereotypes and are out in H.S. or college. I find his promotional video truly annoying.

I was never a professional athlete. But, after a high school and college career totally avoiding athletics - especially team athletics. A few years later, I became a professional instructor in an accredited "outward bound" program. That program included all sorts of daily athletic activities: technical climbing, skiing, backpacking, mountain climbing (I summited Mt. Rainier in WA), long (20 mile) day hikes, etc.. I learned a lot about myself as a gay man and that I was not the physical weakling I'd assumed a gay guy naturally was.

Now, I find Mr. Sheng's video, although I understand that he needs money to complete his project, wrong headed. It's important to seek support, but there was nothing about any of the individuals he is profiling and everything about his work. His subjects are his work, not his (one more) coffee table book.

Posted by: Boston Dave | Aug 4, 2012 5:44:24 AM

5. Oh pah-lese, nice work but what is "epic" about it?

Posted by: Squeak | Aug 4, 2012 6:46:06 AM

6. Um boston dave, this is High School and College athelets, not professional and it doesn't say anything about whether they're winner or not, the only thing he looked for were those who were out.

Posted by: silvra | Aug 4, 2012 9:47:49 AM

7. @Boston Dave: "What about the not-so-fantastic athletic gay men and women who are tearing down stereotypes and are out in H.S. or college. I find his promotional video truly annoying."

What about you yourself making your own video/coffee-table book about these athletes? Why does Sheng (or someone else) have to do it?

Posted by: Rocky | Aug 4, 2012 11:32:07 AM

8. i encourge Boston Dave to put together his own book. and for a fun free way to start, you can open a blogspot account and put the photos up for free, by yourself, without a need for a publisher. then you can send people the link to your own blogspot wherein you show everyone how YOU would do things.

so, boston dave, let us know the URL when you've got it going. deal?

p.s. rock ON Jeff Sheng!

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Aug 4, 2012 11:40:00 AM

9. It is we who should thank you for making this video and showing America real live young LGBT people. Thank You!

Posted by: andrew | Aug 4, 2012 11:09:07 PM

10. I found this amazing! Though I wish the schools were diversified and it seemed some were not as recent. I recently graduated from the University of DE where the OUT LGBT population is quite small, however we make waves of change and understanding as much as we can.

Our Women's basketball team this past year had 2-3 out lesbians on the star team. While on the Equestrian team saw an openly gay student. There is also an openly gay diver. Apart from athletics, the University saw its first openly gay male student lead the Black Student Union a student group on campus, and in the same year the first openly gay male to become president of Greek life. The university is largely conservative with several on the board of trustee's reluctant to wave or support any LGBT subjects. I enjoyed the video I hope he searches harder and has more flow to his slide show.

Posted by: Patrick | Aug 5, 2012 12:18:23 AM

11. just saw this pic on NYTimes. not gay, but sexy olympic moment nonetheless, http://imageaggregator.tumblr.com/post/28795585746/mediterraneenne-frances-mahiedine

Posted by: keith | Aug 5, 2012 9:57:25 PM

12. Very good, one thing, don't drop the narration entirely but add some form of music as background. The narration makes it hard to listen to it and read the captions, as they are flashed rather quickly, and I am a very fast reader.
    Otherwise this is a terrific concept, I hope we see more. Maybe even with professional athletes in the future.

Posted by: Iwontgrowup | Aug 5, 2012 10:55:17 PM

13. Jeff, I'm quite moved by your sharing.. my son James was included in your artistry. How beautiful and fearless. Much love. Shawne

Posted by: Shawne Duperon | Aug 7, 2012 6:48:22 AM