Gay Marriage | New Jersey | News

Gay Couple Together For 51 Years Are Old Fashioned American Dream

GrimmKratz

Reading this Washington Blade article about Vince Grimm and Will Kratz, a gay New Jersey couple who have been together for over five decades, I can't help but think of an idyllic, fun-loving and optimistic post-war, baby boomed America resembling American Graffiti.

Vince Grimm had just left the U.S. Army Security Agency after a two-year deployment in Korea when he returned to the Reading, Pa., gay bar scene in 1961. A 20-year-old farm boy quickly caught his eye at the Big Apple Bar.

“We saw each other on and off at the bar,” said Grimm. “He was cute, blonde and kind of flamboyant — just my type.”

More than five decades later, Will Kratz pointed out with a hearty chuckle during an interview at their home that overlooks Delaware Bay a few miles north of New Jersey’s southernmost point that they consummated their relationship in the back of a 1957 Cadillac. “There was plenty of room,” added Grimm.

Tell me more, tell me more!

Comments

1. And they never married? Neighboring New York is a few hours drive away. This is the kind of gay movie I'd pay to see (even if it's eventually downloadable)

Posted by: Manny Espinola | Aug 17, 2012 11:51:13 AM

2. Congratulations on 51 years and hurray for marriage!

Posted by: DB | Aug 17, 2012 11:55:59 AM

3. and I can't think of anything besides LemonParty dot com. LOL

Posted by: Aiden Raccoon | Aug 17, 2012 12:09:48 PM

4. Awww they look lovely!

Posted by: Andreas | Aug 17, 2012 12:54:28 PM

5. I like that tee shirt "Pepper Sauce." Says it all. Congratulations, and may there be lots more pepper for years to come.

Posted by: john patrick | Aug 17, 2012 1:14:16 PM

6. “He was cute, blonde and kind of flamboyant — just my type.”

Somewhere a Towleroad Troll® just exploded in rage.

Posted by: PDX Guy | Aug 17, 2012 1:26:16 PM

7. Congrats to them. Hell, 80% of the commenters here would probably have something bitchy to say, but these are the real pioneers. Good on you, gentlemen!

Posted by: Robert | Aug 17, 2012 7:27:12 PM

8. With most hetero marriages these days lasting only a 2 to 10 years, it just goes to show that we have it in us to love much longer, and live much healthier lives. Congrats to them, and may they have many more anniversaries!

Posted by: Jeff | Aug 18, 2012 1:52:52 PM

9. Way to go guys my husband and I are celebrating 30 years in oct we will toast you two on that day.D

Posted by: David Lawrence | Aug 18, 2012 2:53:17 PM

10. Congratulations guys! I know a lesbian couple who have been together since 1968 and raised three children and have nurtured grand children and recently a great grand child together.

Posted by: andrew | Aug 18, 2012 8:16:38 PM

11. This is why they oppose Marriage Equality -- THEY KNOW WE CAN DO IT BETTER!!!!!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Aug 19, 2012 6:03:49 PM