Comments

1. PixelWizard says

This is sad, a loss for readers. What a delicious pleasure it was to stumble upon his books in the library. He wrote such wise, off-kilter, wonderful humor.

2. Caliban says

Damn. This is a real loss. I liked his essays a lot, with their off-kilter humor, slightly acerbic, and a little wallowing in his own self-induced misery. I can almost see him receiving the diagnosis with “Of course! What else?”

3. John says

This is really sad. David Rakoff was one of my favorite contributors to This American Life. His ‘Twas the Morning After ranks as one of my all time favorite pieces. Aargh.

4. jamal49 says

Sad. Sad. Sad. Just one of the best essayists ever. Loved his work. Condolences to his family and friends.

5. bcarter3 says

V sorry to hear this.

I first heard of David Rakoff through his appearance on “The Daily Show”. He was so charming and funny that I immediately ordered a copy of his book, “Don’t Get Too Comfortable”

It more than lived up to my expectations.

6. DannyEastVillage says

He was just wonderful as a humorist. But for me the most impressive piece he did was his post-911 essay that included his telling of the story of the loss of the pleasure craft, the General Slocum in the East River in 1904.

Rakoff’s observations in that distinctive voice of dripping-with-queeny sarcasm was and is irreplaceable. He lived just a few blocks from me and i always wanted to meet him. I’m so sorry we’ve lost him.

7. NKT NYC says

Rakoff was certainly funny and he certainly was clever. More than that, however, he unleashed his humor and wit with incredible accuracy and devastating effect on some of the most perversely offensive players of our perversely offensive Era. I credit the demise of the Log Cabin Republicans, in part, to Rakoff’s brilliant and incisive essay on their role in the 2004 electoral cycle.

For all his mordant wit and hard-earned anger, he retained a starry-eyed, idealistic love for New York City. Much of his rage seemed rooted in a desire to call out those who dared to diminish or sully his adopted home town, and I loved him for that geo-chivalry. I, too, first discovered him through his post-9/11 essay, and found great comfort in his musings: he seemed a truly kindred spirit at a very scary moment.

My heartfelt condolences to his family and loved ones. Rest in Peace, David.