Dan Mathews | Lady Gaga | News | PETA

Lady Gaga Fires Back at PETA Over Fur: 'Please Credit Hermes'

Yesterday I posted a letter from PETA VP Dan Mathews to Lady Gaga objecting to the fact that she wore fur on several recent occasions.

GagafurGaga fired back over Twitter late yesterday:

"For those press and such who are writing about whether or not my fur is actually real, please don't forget to credit the designer HERMES. Thank You! LOVE, gaga"

Mathew suggested in his letter that her response would determine whether she would be "targeted" like Kim Kardashian, who was flour-bombed at a red carpet event.

Comments

1. Gaga is just trolling for some media coverage. Who where's a fur coat (real or not) in the summer? She's so tired, yawn.

Posted by: hartzprod | Aug 14, 2012 10:50:56 AM

2. 'Somebody else killed it, I just wear it ...' is NOT an excuse. If Gaga wants to go down in flames I can't think of any better way for her do to so then to continue wearing real fur.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Aug 14, 2012 10:51:00 AM

3. *wears

Posted by: hartzprod | Aug 14, 2012 10:52:34 AM

4. Filthy little self-involved b!tch responding exactly the way you would expect a filthy little self-involved b!tch to respond.

Please, please, somebody throw a bucket of paint on her when the opportunity presents itself.....and try to hit her face and her head as well as her fur when you aim.....

Posted by: Rick | Aug 14, 2012 10:53:19 AM

5. Have to say I've been over Gaga Incorporated almost from the beginning.

Posted by: Butch | Aug 14, 2012 11:09:08 AM

6. Actually, that's a rather snappy comeback.

Posted by: Gregoire | Aug 14, 2012 11:15:07 AM

7. Good way for Gaga to alienate that section of her audience who actually care about animal welfare.

Stupid, heartless, awful woman!

(I used to be a fan!)

Posted by: SteveC | Aug 14, 2012 11:19:49 AM

8. I wasn't surprised to read that most of Lady Gaga's Twitter following is fake:

I used to be a fan of hers. I think her so-called "Little Monsters" have turned me off to whatever talent she has.

Posted by: Janice is Here | Aug 14, 2012 11:24:05 AM

9. i cant believe a bunch of old men are bitching about not liking teen idol lady gaga. so her music and image doesnt cater to you, and she is the one who is self involved?

boo hoo, go add your tears to the peta pity party

Posted by: mld | Aug 14, 2012 11:38:33 AM

10. well, Hermes is a french company, and in France we eat rabbit, as chicken and cows, so it's the same that wearing a leather jacket, or sleeping on a plums pillow. I'm against fur, and i'm vegetarian, but i wear leather shoes, just sayin...

Posted by: willyag | Aug 14, 2012 11:42:20 AM

11. Ha Ha MLD: EXACTLY!

Posted by: anonimodesf | Aug 14, 2012 11:47:19 AM

12. Please, who cares what PETA thinks, says or does. They're like Ron Paul supporters. Wild and rabid. You're not going to get through to them or ever have a discussion with them. It's not worth it.

Posted by: greg | Aug 14, 2012 11:52:20 AM

13. That's a fantastic response. Whether or not you agree with PETA's aims, their methods (throwing stuff on people wearing fur, who then have to buy more fur) do little to serve those aims. This is how a person should respond to a threat made by a bully.

Posted by: Ha! | Aug 14, 2012 11:52:46 AM

14. so over PETA.

Posted by: reality | Aug 14, 2012 12:00:29 PM

15. If you wear leather or eat meat you are just as guilty as fur wearers.

Get off of your precious sky horses.

Posted by: Polyboy | Aug 14, 2012 12:11:13 PM

16. Gurl... Fur is for old douchebags.

And what's up with you PETA haters? They help animals. What's your issue?

Posted by: JMJ | Aug 14, 2012 12:13:27 PM

17. I miss the Gaga of the first two albums. She produced such great music. But she's really become a caricature of herself and has bought into her own hype.

And even if the poster is just a character, as many people said yesterday, that's not an excuse to wear real fur. Real fur on a real person is not excused because the picture is of a character.

Posted by: John | Aug 14, 2012 12:20:30 PM

18. @ JMJ: PeTA most assuredly DOES NOT "help animals." Do some bloody research.

Posted by: Rich F. | Aug 14, 2012 12:24:51 PM

19. Conveniently, she’s always forgotten to credit everybody else during her career.

Posted by: steve | Aug 14, 2012 12:26:33 PM

20. @POLYBOY Unless you know where people are eating mink burgers, leather and fur are not the same issue.

Posted by: Mike | Aug 14, 2012 12:31:01 PM

21. Isn't PETA still opposing any AIDS research that uses animals? I'm listening to some PETA guy on Signorile yesterday and he's all "Us Gays" are better then that and I'm thinking about how many people, gay and straight, he's willing to let die to keep AIDS research, and any other medical research that uses animals, from being done.

But also, his dollar store equivocations regarding the wearing of leather and the eating of meat were really pathetic. PETA isn't "targeting" celebrities who eat meat and wear leather apparently because fur is a more egregious crime. Yeah, pull the other one. They target fur wearers because fur is expensive and targeting people rich enough they can afford fur won't alienate as many people.

We've come a long way in this country from a time when horses were routinely worked to death and left to die on city streets, but PETA is just another single issue extremist group, not that very different from the NRA or Right To Life groups in mindset and groups like these don't help anything. You get the sense that's okay with them, they are on a mission and if you aren't 100 percent with them you are 100 percent the enemy.

Fine. There are a lot things done to animals in the name of profit and fashion that I absolutely despise and would love to see outlawed but if PETA wants to lump me with everything else done to animals because I eat meat, my shoes and my belt and my camera straps are made of leather, my jackets have goose down in them and my art brushes are made with mink hairs and pig bristles so be it. I'm not a Gaga fan but her comeback delighted me. I was afraid she'd cave like so many others.

And probably PETA will "target" her and we'll see her get flour bombed or worse and the next time an animal cruelty bill comes up in congress or some statehouse addressing the conditions in factory farms or some such it won't get passed because everyone knows animal cruelty is something only kooks care about.

Posted by: Bruce Garrett | Aug 14, 2012 12:38:14 PM

22. I don't get it. She wore a suit made out of animal meat. It's kind of her thing.

@Rick: I had a nice steak salad last night because of your comments in yesterday's thread. Glad to see that you opened this thread off with some misogyny.

Posted by: RandySf | Aug 14, 2012 1:00:23 PM

23. I agree that equating leather and fur is a misnomer. We kills cows because we eat their meat... Using their hide as leather for shoes and jackets is just using all parts of the animal so nothing goes to waste... Hot dogs make up for what the rest of animal is used for... Lol. But the fur industry either traps live animals like mink, sable or ermine, or raises them in farms, kills them, but only for the fur and the rest of the animal is wasted. Since we need meat in our diets (and vegetarians could certainly argue that we don't)it's not like we are killing cows just for the leather. But with fur, which is a luxury item that we don't need to wear anymore with modern coats using down and such, fur is definitely murdering animals for no valid reason. The Gaga quote may be funny, but it's tactless. Nobody in this day and age should be wearing fur.

Posted by: Graphicjack | Aug 14, 2012 1:12:16 PM

24. This is the first time I've felt any admiration or liking for Gaga, and I'm a vegetarian. I do not agree with wearing fur, though. I just admired her witty response.

Posted by: Gabe R L | Aug 14, 2012 1:21:30 PM

25. I fail to see why PETA being involved negates the fact that fur comes from the torture and death of animals who are bred and raised for no other purpose than to make fur. PETA might have horrible tactics and misguided approach, but it doesn't negate that wearing fur is absurd. Hate PETA all you want, but they've successfully gotten many designers and celebrities to avoid buying and using fur.

And frankly, they've done a lot to convince people that eating meat is wrong as well. I'll admit I've not yet gotten there on removing meat from my diet, but I don't think that makes me a hypocrite to say that wearing fur serves absolutely no useful purpose.

Also, fur? Seriously. Dynasty was cancelled years ago. Tacky.

Posted by: SamIAm | Aug 14, 2012 1:22:31 PM