Lesbians Are So In This Season, Says Style.com

StyleLesbian

Style.com's Maya Singer raised some eyebrows with a new column wondering whether lesbians are the new fall trend.

Lesbians! They're everywhere. This summer, the New York fashion scene
was buzzing with gossip about a couple of high-profile ladies who
ditched their marriages and started dating women; across the pond,
meanwhile, British Vogue ran a whole article on that phenomenon, while
society rag Tatler chimed in with a feature on London's seven
"loveliest lesbians." (Only seven?) Just last week, Models.com posted
photos on its homepage of the nuptials of model Harmony Boucher and her
bride, Nicole.

[Via HuffPo]

Comments

1. Leo says

I wanna beat-to-the-punch Jason with his likely to follow “bisexual double standard” rant by saying that I think – to a point – he’s onto something, even if it is broken record territory at this point.

I’m recalling a long discussion I had with a friend who took a “sociology of sexuality” course and said something resembling the following:

“Our societal framework places straight men at the top, and thus their sexual preferences take priority. Girl-on-girl fits into their sexual narrative, and isn’t seen as threatening the patriarchal system. Guy-on-guy, however, not only obviously doesn’t fit the sexual preference, but openly threats the construct by throwing the concept of a ‘submissive’ male into the mix. Thus, the patriarchal framework in favor of straight men may barely tolerate girl-on-girl, but not with nearly as much scorn as guy-on-guy. Pop culture thus reflects this favoritism. It is also why the current framework exists that women can essentially experiment with same-sex partnerships in college and identify as straight afterwards and men can’t.”

The problem with Jason making essentially making this same argument is it’s rooted in a place of actual misogyny. He’s clearly revealed in the tone of all the previous posts on this subject that he hates women….anyways, wanted to get that that in there for discussion before he showed up.

2. Aventuro says

I agree. put a same sex MALE couple in some of these ads and hetero driven commercials and then i’ll give you reason to celebrate. seeing lesbians kiss? we’ve all seen it celebrated. but why dont male same sex couples get the same respect for their affections?

3. cORTIZ says

what pisses me off is i constantly see lesbians proudly showcasing their relationships, holding hands around where I live (good for them) but same can’t be said for same sex male couples. It’s almost like gay men have been shamed by being gay and bought into the homophobia. Lesbians have a much more apologetic attitude. Some gay men treat their significant other like their creepy uncles in public for fear people will know. give me a break! you’re either proud to be in love, and dont care about flirting appropriately with your significant other who is a gay male, or you believe that right should only be granted to straight people and hot lesbians Its a shame

4. Greg Cali says

Lesbians have it easier. They have it easier than gay men, bisexuels, transexuals, questioning, and ever other sexual minority. That’t not a dig at all either. but their is a privilige there

5. Michelle says

I’m a proud lesbian and will eagerly admit the lesbian experience can be an easier road to travel than others in our community. Thats a genereal statement of course, but a pretty accurate one for the most part. Hearing and SEEING the struggles of my gay male friends reaffirmed that for me. But we in the lesbian community are also aware that unfortunatelly butch lesbians dont have it easy, so it can cut both ways.

6. Lipstick Diva says

Yeah, we lesbians may find more tolerance/acceptance but lets be honest, it’s also because more of us have a fearless approach in who we are. We’re not as closeted, heck, most of my lesbian girl friends and exes were maybe a little too proud to show we’re coupled up 😉 but it worked. visibility is a key factor. people see something long enough and they get used to it. Lesbians can be a very affectionate type. We like to touch, feel, smell. So our relationships are more exposed and hence more “normalized” because the public has had exposure to it. I think all LGBT do themselves and their community more of a favor by just being open and honest about their relationships. straight up. you pass a hundrd heteros holding hands, right? I know I do. Why then shouldn’t we?

7. Leo says

“Threatens”, not “threats” – grr, should have checked harder.

By the way – my tie-in with this whole story is in terms of the echoes of ‘lipstick lesbian chic’ it brings up. Probably should’ve mentioned that too.

@Michelle: Absolutely should’ve mentioned the ‘fem’/’butch’ distinction. Thank you.

@ the other posters: It’s the cultural construct. Straight men run the cultural dialogue sexually. Thus, (FEM) lesbians are tolerated and gay men (ESPECIALLY FEM) are openly scorned. Also, read my previous post.

@Lipstick Diva: It’s very easy to stand there and say, we have it easier because we’re more openly affectionate. Its the construct of the society that ALLOWS that, IMO.

8. johnny says

“give me a break! you’re either proud to be in love, and dont care about flirting appropriately with your significant other who is a gay male, or you believe that right should only be granted to straight people and hot lesbians”

@Cortiz: Come live in an area where “flirting appropriately” can get you beat up or killed and then walk a mile in my shoes for a while.

Believe me, I’d love to be able to show affection in public for my partner, but I’m also smart enough to know that in the area I live in it’s a very dangerous game. Those who think “Well, then let the laws help you out if things happen” don’t know what it’s like to lose something the laws can’t begin to replace. It’s the price I pay for living in a beautiful, rural place, but it’s also a price that’s much easier to pay than getting maimed or being killed simply for showing affection. I can gladly wait until we’re alone since that’s the case.

9. jason says

Yet another piece of sexist objectification of women by the sleazy fashion industry. The fashion industry is trash. It objectifies women (and the concept of lesbianism) for the benefit of straight male perverts. It’s one of the most homophobic industries around when it comes to genuine acceptance of homosexuality in the form of gay and bisexual men. Thumbs down to it.

10. says

Johnny- lets not overlook the fact that your also very religious. You’re of a different breed. I think the posters above were speaking to well adjusted gay couples who can and should show affection, if they so choose, in public. And not hide their relationships. There should be NO shame in gay relationships, publically or privately