Pat Robertson | Religion

Pat Robertson On The Dangers Of International Adoption

M219393663Rev. Pat Robertson angered some of his co-religionists this week, when on the 700 Club he seemed to suggest that international adoption is bad idea.

What occasioned the corrupt old shaman's suggestion was a letter, read aloud on the air by co-host Kristi Watts, from a woman expressing frustration about her dating difficulties, which she believed stemmed from her having adopted three young girls from different countries. Kristi Watts was sympathetic. Robertson was less so. The Christian Post has transcribed Robertson's remarks:

"A man doesn't want to take on the United Nations, and a woman has all these various children, blended family, what is it – you don't know what problems there are. I'm serious. I've got a dear friend, an adopted son, a little kid from an orphanage down in Columbia. Child had brain damage, grew up weird. And you just never know what's been done to a child before you get that child. What kind of sexual abuse has been, what kind of cruelty, what kind of food deprivation, etc. etc." the televangelist said.

Robertson continued: "You don't have to take on somebody else's problems. You really don't. You can help people – we administer to orphans all over the world, we love helping people. But that doesn't necessarily mean that I'm going to take all the orphans around the world into my home.

Russell Moore, the massively influential Evangelical writer and dean of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, offered a swift and -- in the very best sense of the word -- Christian rebuke:

I am taking a deep breath here and reciting Beatitudes to myself. I had promised never to mention Robertson here again. Every few months he says some crazy scandalous thing. He blames 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina on gays and lesbians, cozies up to the Chinese coercive and murderous one-child policy, counsels a man that he can divorce his Alzheimer’s-riddled wife because she’s “not there” anymore.

Let me just say this bluntly. This is not just a statement we ought to disagree with. This is of the devil.

... The issue here isn’t just that Robertson is, with cruel and callous language, dismissing the Christian mandate to care for the widows and orphans in their distress. The issue is that his disregard is part of a larger worldview. The prosperity and power gospel Robertson has preached fits perfectly well with the kind of counsel he’s giving in recent years ... For too long, we’ve let our leaders replace the cross with an Asherah pole. Enough is enough.

Jesus was, after all, one of those adopted kids. Joseph of Nazareth was faced with a pregnant woman he could easily have abandoned ...

And he didn't, according to Robertson's Bible, even though the kid might've turned out "weird."

Robertson, aghast at and unused to being called "of the devil," promptly issued an apology:

Today, on live television, I misstated my heartfelt dedication and commitment to helping orphans. For decades, I have supported adoption, and have helped tens of thousands of children worldwide.

I wanted to say, but it didn’t come out the way I intended, that adoption is not for everyone.

The mother of three adopted children, who wrote in about her boyfriend’s issue with her children, did a wonderful, unselfish act to adopt and I respect her immensely. Yet, adoption might not be a fit for her boyfriend. If that is the case, she needs to find someone who better shares her passion for adoption.

Adoptive parents are taking on enormous responsibility, both emotionally and financially. Quite frankly, they need as much disclosure as possible about the child’s background and health to assure the best fit and be prepared.

In answering the letter writer, this is what I meant to say. If any doubt remains, I ask you to please look at what I’ve done over the years to help orphans.

Comments

1. What could be worse than adopting from abroad? So many children need parents and so many adults want a child. But no, Pat says it is a bad idea! He is a shameful, hateful excuse for a man.

Posted by: Matt26 | Aug 18, 2012 12:05:19 PM

2. the first thing i thought, before reading Moore's words, was just what he stated.

here's pat robertson basically telling people to not take care of people who come into this world ....uh..the way that JESUS is attributed with coming into this world.

seriously. "know some pregnant lady that's poor and unmarried? don't help her - her kid's gonna be WEIRD"

Wow. Literally, WOW>

We've always known this man and his kind are bigotty nitwits who don't know anything about that book they're throwing around, but this crystallizes it for all time.

WOW>

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Aug 18, 2012 12:30:28 PM

3. Pat has obviously gone senile and can't remember the Christianist propaganda party line. I do hope he gets what he deserves, and I mean in this life.

Posted by: Jack M | Aug 18, 2012 12:35:27 PM

4. Never understood why white Hollywood celebs adopt black children (from Africa and the like). It's almost like a trend thing. "Oh look at ME, I'm so not racist as I've adopted a black child."

Posted by: ? | Aug 18, 2012 1:20:19 PM

5. Just shaking my head at this buffoon. Again. Just when you thought the religious right couldn't get any more stupid. The flock have certainly lost their way.
    The millions of adopted children across the country should find offence with this idiots latest ramblings. As should people raising children with brain damage. How many children have you adopted Pat? You surely have the means, how many children have you rescued and given a better life in one of your mansions? I'm sure his god will want to have a discussion about these comments (and a few others as well) when he shows up at the pearly gates. If he does.

Posted by: GABE | Aug 18, 2012 1:24:28 PM

6. @? What does it even matter what color child they adopt? I'm SURE you aren't trying to stoke some racism here with your stupid comments? Nah!

For one thing, not ALL celebrities are adopting "black" children. Even so, the fact is there are more children of minority backgrounds awaiting adoption, so if one is truly a loving person it wouldn't matter what color or ethnic background the child is. But, I wouldn't expect you to understand that. Sounds like you would let those kids live their entire lives un-adopted...keep them black kids away from the whites? Jerk.

Posted by: GABE | Aug 18, 2012 1:38:53 PM

7. The devil, indeed. I wonder how much influence he actually wields, and how much influence the media conflates to him because he makes a good story.

Posted by: Mike B. | Aug 18, 2012 1:39:11 PM

8. What a bigoted, self centered, judgmental ass hole. He has dementia.

Posted by: Reppin2 | Aug 18, 2012 1:40:31 PM

9. Maybe they want the children. Maybe you do not understand because you are racist question mark and prefer your families nice and color coded?

Then again, you did not ask that dumb question about celebs or any American who adopt Asian children so maybe you're just racist.

It's okay, it's totally in vogue now. More stylish and widespread than adopting black babies.

Posted by: Polyboy | Aug 18, 2012 1:43:26 PM

10. Good for Dr. Moore for taking him on and naming his cruelty for what it is: not at all in keeping with the teachings of Jesus.

And good for Dr. Moore for calling him out on his "prosperity and power gospel." For those who don't recognize the "code," his use of the term "Asherah pole" is a way of saying Mr. Robertson is an idolator, worshiping a false god. In the Bible, idolators are the ones who get struck down by lightning.

Posted by: revchicoucc | Aug 18, 2012 2:02:31 PM

11. It is not just "of the devil". It's dementia. His wife should leave him if he still has one.

Posted by: simon | Aug 18, 2012 2:10:01 PM

12. Did they think it would start a trend among the masses? "Oh look dear, Tom Cruise adopted a black child. Let's go out and adopt one ourselves!!!"

Please! I don't think Hollywood celebs realize that the public typically considers them to be batshit crazy. But then of course, crazy people never do realize that others consider them so.

Posted by: ? | Aug 18, 2012 2:11:20 PM

13. i think they're too busy raising their "black children" to worry what some anonymous loser on the internet thinks about them raising "black children"

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Aug 18, 2012 2:24:09 PM

14. You mean, like yourself?

Posted by: Gregoire | Aug 18, 2012 2:24:42 PM

15. I stopped watching the 700 club a long time ago for this exact reason. I got tired of evangelists and tv evangelists talking like they know what's better for everyone else and they think they're more christian then other people. What about Christ saying "suffer the little children to come unto me and forbid them not, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." He's saying children are innocent and because God loves them, so did he. After the children came to Christ, it says he took them in his arms and blessed them.

Posted by: Bryon | Aug 18, 2012 2:33:30 PM

16. This is the Pat Robertson the world sees and hears. Just how hideous and repulsive is that magic painting he keeps hidden in some vault, accumulating and preserving all the
    evil things he says, thinks and condones?

Posted by: gregory brown | Aug 18, 2012 2:37:10 PM

17. Never have I heard anything so Goddamned Christian.

Posted by: DeeVee | Aug 18, 2012 3:08:37 PM

18. He may be senile but he's definitely a sociopath.

Posted by: Dan | Aug 18, 2012 4:18:25 PM

19. Dont excuse Mr. Robertsons HATE as a symptom of dementia. He has been spouting hate on TV for decades. He hasn't just started being hateful because a tragic disease has afflicted him, he's just a hater with a big audience. Has been for a long, long time. He's got a big big file up there at the Pearly Gates that he is going to have to explain...

Posted by: jeff | Aug 18, 2012 4:37:31 PM

20. Let him ramble. He's clearly insane, and anyone with his best interests in mind would have made him retire years ago. Everything he says is offensive or stupid. It's worth ignoring.

Posted by: Paul R | Aug 18, 2012 5:42:00 PM

21. I can't wait til his kids or spouse follows his own advice on elders with dementia?health issues. This disgusting excuse for a "Christian" has swindled so many people out of their money- thinking they're helping children in third world countries- when it's gone to HIS DIAMOND/GOLD mines in those same, war-torn countries.

I don't know how ANYONE could be associated or work for him and go to sleep at night... unless they're messing with or stealing from his corporation to give to people in need.

Posted by: scott | Aug 18, 2012 6:49:10 PM

22. Pat Robertson is a crafty old devil. He throws verbal bombs so that he can stay in the news, and it works. Yep, here we are talking about the old b**tard.

Posted by: andrew | Aug 18, 2012 8:23:22 PM

23. I never thought I would agree with a Southern Baptist on a social policy. Dean Moore rocks!

Posted by: Rev. Verdon Coleman | Aug 18, 2012 9:14:07 PM

24. I'm not one to gossip, BUT, did you know the Pat's wife was pregnant with their oldest child before they were married. I kid you not!

Posted by: andrew | Aug 18, 2012 10:36:54 PM

25. ? Mark poster is a known homophobe. You guys don't get these trolls ploy. They come on here and say something outlandish to get you all distracted from the homophobia of the original attacker. They want to derail the convo away from attacking the conservatives and want is to turn on each other. Classic case of divide an conquer
    And it happens here ALL the time with these troll plants

Stop feeding them! That's ALL they crave... Attention!

Posted by: Kyle | Aug 18, 2012 11:44:13 PM