Gay Slurs | News | Virginia

BigGayDeal.com

Virginia Auto Repair Shop Stands up for Bullied Gay Teen, Restores, Improves His Slur-Laden Car: VIDEO

Addison

Here's a Roanoke, Virginia business worth applauding.

WTVR reports:

Jordan Addison told WDBJ-TV that his car was vandalized four times between March and May of this year and that someone even keyed “die” into the side of the vehicle because he is gay.

Addison said the lowest estimate he received to fix the car was $2,500, but that he just couldn’t afford to repair it. Some Roanoke businesses heard what happened and pitched in to fix the damage for free.

“Once I saw the vandalism that was done to it I said that’s uncalled for we’re gonna fix your car that’s the least we can do,” said Quality Auto Paint and Body’s Richard Henegar Jr.

The auto body shop repainted the car and even added in $10,000 worth of extras for Addison.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Video may take a few moments to load...

Comments

1. Indygogo to help pay back?

Posted by: Cody | Aug 21, 2012 3:34:14 PM

2. We know of the shootings. We know of the hatred. We know of the ugliness.

For the good of our mental health, our spirits, and our general motivation, we also need to know of our allies, the goodness of people, and the generosity of those quiet folks who don't live in the light of the media.

The majority of people in Roanoke, like the people of Billings, MT, have compassion for the unjustly victimized and they can rise up in original and wonderful ways.

Posted by: Chuck Mielke | Aug 21, 2012 3:41:03 PM

3. These are the kind of people who really change the world. You don't have to be rich or powerful or talented; you just need to follow the goodness in your heart.

Thank you for being the best of what we are.

Posted by: Joey | Aug 21, 2012 3:50:58 PM

4. Mr. Henegar deserves a lot of respect and praise. He's a good man and did a good, honorable thing. Very rare these days.

Posted by: ratbastard | Aug 21, 2012 3:57:10 PM

5. I'm impressed, this is the kind of community spirit and support we need. My wife and I are moving to Roanoke for her new job, is there any way you could list the other supporting businesses (with their permission of course) so we can show our appreciation? They're the kind of people I want to do business with!

Posted by: Red | Aug 21, 2012 3:57:52 PM

6. Suck it rednecks...

Posted by: anukexpat | Aug 21, 2012 4:02:24 PM

7. Spoke to Richard Jr today, and thanked them for doing this. He was excited that I called and thanked me for the support. Remember to support businesses that support you!!!

Posted by: David | Aug 21, 2012 4:13:14 PM

8. Spoke to Richard Jr today, and thanked them for doing this. He was excited that I called and thanked me for the support. Remember to support businesses that support you!!!

Posted by: David | Aug 21, 2012 4:13:15 PM

9. It's just gonna get keyed again.

Posted by: Jason | Aug 21, 2012 4:13:33 PM

10. Beautiful. Richard Jr and the other supporting businesses involved are awesome in being so selfless and generous. And I feel great for Jordan too as this shows him that not everyone in his city is a bigot and there are a lot of good people in Roanoke, and that he's not alone. I live in VA so I'm going to tell everyone I know throughout the state about this act of kindness from these businesses.

Posted by: Francis | Aug 21, 2012 4:14:44 PM

11. Beautiful. Richard Jr and the other supporting businesses involved are awesome in being so selfless and generous. And I feel great for Jordan too as this shows him that not everyone in his city is a bigot and there are a lot of good people in Roanoke, and that he's not alone. I live in VA so I'm going to tell everyone I know throughout the state about this act of kindness from these businesses.

Posted by: Francis | Aug 21, 2012 4:14:44 PM

12. Thanks again to everybody for their support! But again, this would not have been possible w/out the support of our vendors. Below is a list of the vendors and how they contributed.

-Advance Auto Parts - $250 Donation
    -Aj's Landscaping - Body work
    -Moon's Auto Body - Paint
    -James T. Davis - Supplied the paint
    -Press Press Merch - Donated/printed our Bully Project T-Shirts!
    -Rice Toyota - $200 Donation
    -The Rod Shop - Window Tint, Alarm and Stereo system instal
    -Anchor Sales - Vent Visors
    -Sun Solutions - All "Quality" related decals/stickers
    -B&C Exterminating - $220 Donation
    -Twists & Turns - Powder Coated the wheels
    -Sunnybrook Auto Spa - Full detail
    -Twisted Image Pin-striping - Hand Painted the human rights campaign symbol.
    -Parts Unlimited - CD Player
    -White Tire/GCR - Tire/mount Balance & Alighment
    -Mike Newcomb - Suspension Install
    -Chad Thomas - Reassembly
    -Adom Lyon - Reassembly and comedic relief
    -Jamie Horst - Reassembly & Electrical
    -Gavin Macbrien - Interior
    -Valley Automotive Excellence - Reassembly
    -Val's Automotive - Offered to do all mechanical work and give it a tune up but we never had time to get it to her :(
    -East Coast Auto Salvage - Donated a master window switch
    -John Cassady - My right hand man in all my mischievous endeavors ;)
    -Richard Henegar SR - Helped with the finishing touches and allowed me to take on this project in HIS shop.

The most important thanks of all goes to my wife, Jamie Henegar, who never gives me a hard time because i spend more time at work than at home ;)

Im sure i forgot somebody! And if so, i apologize but thanks again everybody for their support!

Posted by: Richard Jr | Aug 21, 2012 4:28:51 PM

13. Way to go Richard and Quality Auto! If I was near Roanoke I'd definitely throw some business your way. I'll let me brother know, though.. he's just under an hour from there. :)

Posted by: sparks | Aug 21, 2012 4:40:01 PM

14. This kind act overwhelmed my 37 year old heart. I feel so truly grateful for the allies in Quality Auto Paint and Body who have shown there is no place for Bullies. We will not back down. We have always been here and always will be.

Posted by: @z0mKi | Aug 21, 2012 4:44:28 PM

15. It's great news, but have they thought this though? When this happens to the next person, are they going to be able to afford to do this for them too? If not, what is their explanation to that person going to be? I'm all for doing something, but it needs to be of a size that you can repeat.

Posted by: Randy | Aug 21, 2012 4:50:03 PM

16. You know, my car is in pretty rough shape these days. Maybe I should just scratch anti-gay slogans on it and see if someone will fix it for free?

Posted by: marshalt | Aug 21, 2012 4:55:16 PM

17. I cried!

Posted by: Mather | Aug 21, 2012 4:56:14 PM

18. I love this. I applaud the people of the auto shop for doing such a wonderful service to Jordan, and hope for many, many happy returns for all involved in making this happen.

Posted by: Miao | Aug 21, 2012 5:05:44 PM

19. A great story and what's even better is the website for their business shows it's a family-run business and they tout their "core family values". Now THAT is what values are all about.

Posted by: Brent | Aug 21, 2012 5:17:58 PM

20. What is wrong with all of the negative people? This is a great thing, they did. So what if they can't do it for everyone? If you can only help one person, should you not help anyone? Get real people. If we would all help just one person, the world would be a great place.

Posted by: Jayson | Aug 21, 2012 5:23:30 PM

21. This is so awesome!

Posted by: Thomas | Aug 21, 2012 5:29:28 PM

22. That's a wonderful story. It resonated with a lot of us in a very similar way. We can probably all identify with something nasty done to us 4 times in 3 months. And this is what we all dream happens in the end.

Posted by: MSquare | Aug 21, 2012 5:36:34 PM

23. Great to know that there are good people in the world.

Posted by: jaragon | Aug 21, 2012 5:37:44 PM

24. Awesome!

Posted by: Mike | Aug 21, 2012 5:50:42 PM

25. The look on Jordan's face is the best thing I've seen in months. What a great story. Quality Auto Paint and Body, you rock!!!

Posted by: dattexas | Aug 21, 2012 8:33:53 PM