Honey Boo Boo | News | Pageants | Reality TV

A Pro-Gay Message from Honey Boo Boo: VIDEO

Honeybooboo

From the TLC smash Here Comes Honey Boo Boo, the reality show about mini pageant contestant Alana Thompson.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Rich Juzwiak at Gawker has a longer clip of the segment, inspired by a visit from Honey Boo Boo's uncle, otherwise known as Uncle Poodle.

Comments

1. Please go to school now.

Posted by: Pommie | Sep 27, 2012 12:01:12 PM

2. This child just parrots whatever her white trash stage mom tells her. Generational mental poverty in real time. This child is being abused not unlike child stars who were fed uppers by the studios to keep them performing. Giving a six year old 2-3 adult serving size energy drinks in the name of 5 minutes of "fame". She needs more protection then most gay people.

Posted by: Mark | Sep 27, 2012 12:06:18 PM

3. ummm.. maybe its just me but i find "uncle poodle" just this side of a gay slur. But i do commend them on being open and accepting. Even if their thinking is a bit 1980s.

And I agree with Mark about Generational Mental Poverty. I simply cant watch this show. Its like be at my aunts house. Maybe I should develop a series based on one of my cousins. She runs the only tanning "salon" for like 70 miles in any direction.

Posted by: Homo Genius | Sep 27, 2012 12:19:02 PM

4. No, she has a gay uncle to learn from and her mother has raised her with the right mindset.

Posted by: Carl | Sep 27, 2012 12:19:17 PM

5. Carl, if you watch the longer video you get more than Honey's statement. They call gay people "poodles". There is even a discussion of what dogs are prissy enough to be gay. Shih Tzas are faggy too. So technically she calls him Uncle Homo.

Posted by: Homo Genius | Sep 27, 2012 12:40:05 PM

6. Why is everyone so hard on Honey Boo Boo. I never watched the show, but only because I don't have cable and I refuse to pay for it on Apple TV. Still, from the bits I have seen, it is a nice show about a family full of people who like themselves and each other. It seems very positive and better than the Real Housewives crap I watch. #teamAntiRamona

Posted by: Miguel R. | Sep 27, 2012 12:43:32 PM

7. I am really glad (in an oh so distant way) that this redneck reality tv show makes something similar to a pro-equality statement. even it if is riddled with their typical insipid statements.

That said, i hate that Gay, inc now indicates I shouldn't really be as disgusted with these people as I truly am.

Damn, I hate political correctness sometimes...

Posted by: mikenola | Sep 27, 2012 12:49:13 PM

8. I can't help it - I loved this video. Made me laugh out loud at work ... which means I need to get back to work.

Posted by: reality | Sep 27, 2012 12:50:03 PM

9. You'd think that with the money that the family makes from this show, that they'd feed Alana healthier food than spaghetti made from mixing ketchup and a tub of butter spread. But they don't. Poor girl is going to look like her mother in 10 years if they keep feeding her crap.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Sep 27, 2012 1:00:32 PM

10. When they have to run subtitles in order to understand average rural Americans, I have to stop watching. This family scares me, regardless of their values.

Posted by: johnny | Sep 27, 2012 1:00:35 PM

11. Uncle Poodle should have worn his "Obama for President" button.

I can hear Honey Boo Boo now, "Mama, how come Daddy threw Uncle Poodle out the doah."

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 27, 2012 1:04:39 PM

12. It seems like when a critique of Honey Boo Boo arises it largely boils down to classist rhetoric. Theyre socioeconomic class dictates a lot of their behaviors but I think theyre endearing as a family and you can tell they all deeply care for each other. Theyre acceptance may have slight hints of ignorance but its a step in the right direction. And definitely a breather from the stereotype of what the poor southern ideology is.

Posted by: Kate | Sep 27, 2012 1:15:41 PM

13. I love this show and find Alana endearing. I think that this family genuinely loves each other, and I find poodle less of a slur and more of a term of endearment. They call her sister Chubs for crying out loud. It's not like nicknames aren't common in the family. I call my gay friends gurl or betch all the time; I'm sure that feminization rubs some people the wrong way too, but there's no malice behind it. As a community that's perfected the art of reading, I always think it's funny how some gays can be so hyper-sensitive to names and labels.

In fact, I'd find it worse if they didn't even bring up his sexuality and kept it a secret like so many other Southern families do. I like the honesty factor of telling this 6 year old that her Uncle is gay and no one seems to have a problem with it.

Posted by: JT | Sep 27, 2012 1:23:56 PM

14. She clearly loves her uncle poodle, and he loves her.
    In the long run this is what will have a favorable impact on Alana and her views towards other gay people.

Posted by: jvc | Sep 27, 2012 1:37:55 PM

15. Pro gay? Honey Boo Boo explains herself: "I likes to get in the mud because I like to get dirty like a pig."

Posted by: M. Scott Hernandez | Sep 27, 2012 1:53:05 PM

16. Honey Boo Boo is child exploitation. The producers are telling this kid to say stuff about gays. She's way way too young to be making statements about sexuality. Little kids should not be concerned about that stuff. It's the adults behind the scenes on this horrible show using children to promote their agenda and that's not appropriate. Sleazy producers and advertising executives, along with showbiz parents, hungry to rake in the cash off their child are to blame for this vomit-inducing nonsense. KEEP KIDS OUT OF POLITICS & SEXUALITY, please!

Posted by: Alberto Del Rio | Sep 27, 2012 1:55:22 PM

17. I can't with this.

Posted by: Munro | Sep 27, 2012 1:56:43 PM

18. Why should you keep kids "out of sexuality"? I'm just wondering because kids ask things like "Why isn't Uncle "so and so" married?" What should we say? "Because he hasn't found the right girl yet?" Or what should we say when a kid asks why someone has two moms or two dads? I don't think Alana knows about gay sex because she was a little confused about the whole baby making process of her sisters. It's not like they're showing her how gays have sex. I'm just curious what harm comes from having a candid explanation and simply saying "You have a gay uncle. He loves men like me and your dad love each other and there's nothing wrong with that?" Kids are curious. And if you watch the show it appears that she is being raised pretty well for what they have. I remember one point Alana saying "I'm sexy" and her mom quickly corrected her by saying "No, you're cute." I think that was the appropriate response. I just don't get the hate towards this family.

Posted by: JT | Sep 27, 2012 2:13:39 PM

19. You're absolutely right, JT, about small children asking questions about Gay uncles and aunts and cousins and sometimes, moms & dads. And your answer is the most sensible.

As far as Honey Boo Boo's family's strategy for answering such questions...well, honey, they're doing the best they can (LOL)

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 27, 2012 2:32:37 PM

20. the most staggering thing is that even this family, who are being ridiculed all over the nation, understands that LOVE makes a family.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Sep 27, 2012 2:47:57 PM

21. I'd beat the living snot out of anyone who called me "uncle poodle", relative or not.

Posted by: Uisce | Sep 27, 2012 2:56:01 PM

22. There's a pretty good article this family and show at Gawker, written by a gay writer who hung out with them for a day.

Many writers and critics say the same thing as commenters here, that unlike most "reality TV" this is about a family that gets along, that really seem to love each other. Yeah, they're "rednecks" or whatever but they are in on the joke too. And though their view of gay people may be unsophisticated (their view of EVERYTHING is unsophisticated!) they are showing acceptance. The leadership of the GOP is wealthy and sophisticated in many ways but what kind of acceptance do you see there? None.

Posted by: Caliban | Sep 27, 2012 3:23:54 PM

23. I love this show. They are hilarious and have a lot of love. Better than a bunch of botoxed up people all trying to pretend they have more money and possessions than the next one.

Posted by: Andy | Sep 27, 2012 3:27:36 PM

24. spot ON, Caliban!

what folks should take away from this, and what's likely earning them so much anger today, is that this is some "white trash podunk redneck" family that, wonder of wonders, really seems to love one another. including the gay family member.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Sep 27, 2012 3:47:36 PM

25. I'm sure Alana loves her Uncle Poodle but she was clearly fed this line about gay people for the cameras.

A lot of Alana's more insightful comments to the camera are clearly rehearsed.

Posted by: American Dreamer | Sep 27, 2012 3:51:44 PM