Apple | iPhone | News | Steve Jobs | Tech

BigGayDeal.com

Apple's iPhone 5 Has Larger Screen, Pricey String

Iphone5Apple yesterday unveiled its iPhone 5, the latest version of its increasingly ubiquitous mobile device.

In addition to all its suddenly old features, the new model includes updates for live-in computer aide Siri, a new operating system and a wider screen, which AP reviewer Michael Liedtke says has at least one woman screaming with glee.

One woman who also was testing out an iPhone 5 couldn't stop raving about how ideal the new design was for people with smaller hands. "All the other iPhones were made with men in mind because they could easily slip from your grasp if you didn't have big hands," she said. "Now we finally have an iPhone for women."

Liedtke also believes that Apple founder Steve Jobs would be "delighted with the iPhone 5's blend of beauty, utility and versatility."

The addition of a new, and pricey, $30 adapter cable, however, has some people seeing red over all the green they're going to have to spend. One reviewer remarked, "Apple could quite happily have dropped its margins...to ensure these crummy little interconnects weren’t quite so expensive."

But some economists are celebrating the prices, for the profit Apple is likely to turn could give the GDP a nice little boost. "Calculated using the so-called retail control method, sales of iPhone 5 could boost Q4 GDP by $3.2 billion, or $12.8 billion at an annual rate. This would boost annualized GDP growth in Q4 by 0.33%-point," wrote JPMorgan Chase economist Michael Feroli.

Either way, expect to see some mammoth lines at Apple stores around the world when the phone goes on sale September 28th.

Comments

1. I waited. I hoped. I really did. My comadre insisted that I should the the iPhone5. But, no.

I'll drop the bucks for an S3.

I guess I won't be able to post to GWIP this year either.

Posted by: jamal49 | Sep 13, 2012 9:17:30 AM

2. Maybe I am just too old school, but what is the big deal about any of the iPhones? What do they add to life?

Posted by: Phoenix Justice | Sep 13, 2012 9:32:11 AM

3. I'm not really bothered by the new cable thing. People want "new" and "Improved" and a leap forward or they throw a tantrum like for the 4S....but don't you dare inconvenience me at the same time. It's a phone for christ's sake. There is only so much room. So if you want new gadgets, better camera, for it to do your dishes, then they have to find ways to make room in a device that fits in the palm of your hand! Good lord. We've become so petulant that we forget what phones were like just a few years ago. I barely use my pc anymore because it's all on my phone. On my cell phone! We want to surf more, for longer, faster, while taking professional video and edit it while booking airline flights and using the app that locks house and starts my car and deposits checks and buys my movie tickets while paying for my drinks at Starbucks, but cry when all that causes us some extra cash. Duh....

Posted by: Michaelandfred | Sep 13, 2012 9:37:13 AM

4. @Michaelandfred: **ROUND OF APPLAUSE** Never looked at it that way. I was mad about the adapter cable until I read that. It makes sense. We have become spoiled. If I just take a step back and look at it objectively, smartphones are ridiculous these days. They can do so many things. I bet the iPhone 10 will levitate us around and make cars obsolete.

Posted by: AJ | Sep 13, 2012 9:46:03 AM

5. got my husband the S3 and he loves it. so over iphone snobbery...i know a few of "those." :)

Posted by: redball | Sep 13, 2012 9:48:22 AM

6. They changed the connector. So they also made an adaptator that makes old appliances work with that new connector.

They charge for it, what's wrong with that?? Did people expect to get it for free? Or are they just creating controversy for the sake of it?

Posted by: G.I. Joe | Sep 13, 2012 9:51:38 AM

7. I thought the 4S was sucky, but this really sucks. I guess Apple will now have enough prior art to patent sucking.

iOS 6 is ripping off Android big time, but still has the same dull homescreen, poor multitaking and ugly colours.

Im sure it will still sell well, but Android will continue to dominate, especially if HTC/Samsung win their 4G patent case, which will result in a US iPhone5/iPad3 ban. Its looking pretty good that they will.
    Very little positive is being said about this device on any of the technology sites (apart from the fanboi sites of course). Quite simply its a poor effort.

Posted by: Rovex | Sep 13, 2012 9:52:32 AM

8. G.I. Joe they changed one proprietary connector for another one. Everyone else is using USB which is perfectly fine.

The adaptor will not work with all devices due to space issues and cradle shape as im sure the hipsters who buy this thing will soon find out.

When Nokia changed their charging ports a few years back they DID give you a free adaptor.

Posted by: Rovex | Sep 13, 2012 9:58:50 AM

9. Why is it so big? I just don't get the desire for bigger and bigger screens.

Posted by: jakke | Sep 13, 2012 10:09:49 AM

10. I'll admit that I don't own a cell phone of any description, smart or dumb, because there's no reception where I live, so it would just be a paperweight most of the time....but why does Apple get this kind of attention when no other manufacturer does? From my limited research there are many phones that are just as good if not better.

Posted by: Butch | Sep 13, 2012 10:11:07 AM

11. My fiancé loves Apple. Personally, I don't get it. Bought a 100 dollar Android and it does the job. Spent the rest of the money on stuff that interests me.

Posted by: Tristram | Sep 13, 2012 10:16:22 AM

12. Actually, the screen is not wider, just taller. Kind of a big difference when we're talking specs.

Posted by: Alan W | Sep 13, 2012 10:18:52 AM

13. Apple has a cult following, and somehow have a reputation for innovation that is truly undeserved. They are slick, simple and easy to use, but they do have their problems. Lack of individuality, iTunes is an abortion of a program, the glass construction is fragile and easily broken, and they are expensive for what they offer. The lack of individuality and critical appraisal of the iphone buyers is why they get called iSheep.

Their are Androids and WP8 devices that cost as much, but they are more functional, more individual, more attractive. Better.

Posted by: Rovex | Sep 13, 2012 10:19:01 AM

14. First, LOL at the poster posting the Android/Google fan boy anti-Apple sentiments under multiple names.

My iPhone 3GS is over 3 years old. It works well, it easy to use and has allowed me to accomplish more in my life, both socially and professionally. It has saved me countless gallons of gasoline.
    It is NOT "just a phone". In fact, it is not a phone. It is a computer with an integrated cell phone and GPS.
    It has been completely trouble-free up until a couple of weeks ago when it started to occasionally shut itself off.

Oh, and AT&T's network continuing to get worse, not better, in my experience is the other "problem". This will be fixed by going to Verizon when I purchase the iPhone 5.

The 30 pin connector is too big, always has been. Good riddance.

iPhones are not perfect but what a spoiled pretentious (or just blindingly biased) individual it is that can find only fault with such an amazing technological achievement.

Posted by: Bill_IE | Sep 13, 2012 11:17:17 AM

15. @Andy Preoder for the new iPhone is September 14th. It's ships and goes on sale September 21st.
    Not the 28th.

Posted by: Edd | Sep 13, 2012 11:40:32 AM

16. Its not the best Bill_ie, thats the point. Everything that you did on your iPhone could have been done on any other platform probably faster as well due to better multitaking, its NOT special or unique and when launched it wasnt new either, Nokia was doing it better.

Posted by: Rovex | Sep 13, 2012 11:42:59 AM

17. You know what, I usually keep my mouth closed when dealing with people who dont understand anything about technology nor predictive theory, but today is the day. I can no longer standby while you Ifools constanstly bicker that apple is great, and there products are innovative. You people would just honestly buy a rehashed product that doesnt include not one new form of tech from a company that copies others, sues others over stupid findings, isnt made in America, doesnt give user control over said device, and actually steals ideas from competitors and rewraps it in a beautiful box as if they have created it.

Posted by: Ronnie Dorsey | Sep 13, 2012 11:43:51 AM

18. Iphone5's saving grace is that my policy contract is up now and I can get one through Verizon starting at $199 otherwise I would just get the Galaxy. This will be my first Apple product - outside of me using ITunes on my laptop.

Posted by: Jakeinlove | Sep 13, 2012 12:30:33 PM

19. Compared to many people, I barely use the features of my iPhone, but I still love it. Of my 30 apps, I use perhaps 5 regularly. And I'm not one to need the internet much when I'm out and about - when usually I'm socializing. I have a much larger computer screen at my fingertips whenever I'm at home or at the office, which is 70% of my time.

BUT, it has been a fantastic travel tool, and it's come in handy even to a low-end user like me to have a hand-size computer that's also a communication device, a GPS locator, and a camera.

My 3GS is outdated, but still works fine. It's mostly the big scratch across the screen that's the trigger for me to get a new phone. I'll probably stick with the iPhone simply because I wouldn't have to learn the ins-and-outs of a new device ... I don't have time for that in my life right now ... Plus, it's handy - if you have a question - that 8-out-of-10 nearby people will also have an iPhone. ;-)

My real question is whether to dump AT&T. On the plus side, I'm grandfathered in to an unlimited data plan that no one offers anymore. But the minus side is there's no reception in half of my apartment. My customer service experiences have been better with AT&T than Verizon, so the choice gets thornier and thornier.

The iPhone 5 doesn't look to be a big leap from the 4 ... but it's a nice jump from my 3G, so I think I'll be pleased with it.

Posted by: Zlick | Sep 13, 2012 12:56:59 PM

20. The Google employees are busy at work! Didn't you guys hear that the regulators want you to identify yourselves when you post in public.

"Seriously though there is nothing in the 5 thats much good. Siri is still rubbish, the screen is still non standard, the camera is no better, the CPU is faster but nothing wow, its still looks likes the same old now very dated iPhone."

You don't know any of this because the device isn't on the market yet. (I do not own an iPhone nor do I work in any way for Apple.)

Your remark about the screen is weird. There is no "standard." The camera on the iPhone 4S is widely acknowledged as superior to other smartphone cameras.

"iOS 6 is ripping off Android big time"

Set aside the lawsuits Android has been losing and look at your remarks. You think the iPhone 5 is "outdated" but it is "ripping off" other phones. So that means Android phones are outdated too.

Get a grip. Smartphones will, more and more, seem alike because we use them for all the same things.

Posted by: Guy | Sep 13, 2012 1:02:35 PM

21. Guys, no one is forcing you to buy the iPhone 5. As someone who worked in the mobile business, there's a lot of misinformation in your negative posts. I can only guess that you're working for Google, since that company is notorious for its guerrilla tactics, which have been called out by regulators.

Let's start with this:
    "The 'technology' in it isnt Apple, its a combination of LG, Samsung and Sony. Even the OS isnt really apples, only the skin is. The 'A6' CPU isnt even apple, its mostly Samsung technology based on a British companies platform (ARM). Frankly the iP5 is pretty average, with a premium price."

Actually, iOS is Apple's. Android is copied from Java. As for the manufacturing, every phone maker buys components from other companies. ARM specifies a framework, but it is up to Apple to create the specifics. Premium price? It's the same price as other smartphones.

BTW, when you negative folks compare the iPhone with "Android," you need to name an Android phone. There are many different Androids with different capabilities. Same with Nokia.

More amazing is that you're criticizing a phone that isn't even available yet.

Posted by: Guy | Sep 13, 2012 1:10:53 PM

22. Come over to the light side and buy an S3 like me. It is pretty much superior to the iPhone5 in every way.

Posted by: Sam | Sep 13, 2012 1:18:13 PM

23. Sounds like a few commenters here don't have any Apple stock. Too bad as Apple hits new highs.

Posted by: i could go on, but I won't | Sep 13, 2012 2:47:47 PM

24. How is a larger screen better for people with smaller hands? Or is she referring to how thin it is?

I'm glad that the phone will be lighter. A friend of mine used my phone once and commented on how heavy it is. I didn't understand what she meant so she handed me her HTC and I was amazed by how lightweight it was. Ever since then, my iPhone just feels so heavy.

Posted by: John | Sep 13, 2012 2:57:45 PM