News | Paris Hilton

Bret Easton Ellis On Grindr: 'Paris Hilton Isn't That Far Off'

Bret1

One can only assume that author Bret Easton Ellis wishes Paris Hilton had stuck to her comments that gay men are "disgusting" and "like die of AIDS". The American Psycho scribe took to Twitter last night to say he "kind of agree[s]" with the hotel heiress' original comments.

"As someone who has used Grindr... Paris Hilton isn't that far off," he tweeted, showing his character.

Bret2

[Via Gawker]

Comments

1. Bitter old man just can't get laid, even using Grindr.

Posted by: Sylvatica | Sep 22, 2012 1:02:22 PM

2. He meant to write: "As someone who prefers to stay in closet (to get dollars for my books from everybody, not just from gay losers), I sometimes need man sex (and company) so bad that I go on GRINDR and there are people there as desperate as I am, willing to be as slutty as I am."

Posted by: Daniel | Sep 22, 2012 1:13:03 PM

3. EXACTLY what one would expect from notoriously gay-hating gay Brett Easton Ellis. I understand Ellis has a bf, but for the life of me, I don't know how a self-respecting gay man could bear the savor of the homophobic sensibilities of such a person. He hates gay people more than any TV preacher, politician or blathering"ex-gay" phony.

Posted by: Daniel Berry, NYC | Sep 22, 2012 1:20:25 PM

4. I was in Palm Springs recently and it was peculiar that most of the people in the outside patio were on Grindr. They were at a bar, where you can actually see what someone looks like, but they chose, and I personally know for a lot of people it's just play, as in couples who are a little addicted to sex and threeways, pose and publish photos of themselves from a decade ago, just to amuse themselves.
    Why in the world would anything Paris Hilton matter? Or Bret Easton..these are people who so low on the importance pole.

Posted by: Perception | Sep 22, 2012 1:31:34 PM

5. Brett Ellis obviously still has a platform. Why doesn't he ever use it well?!!

Rather than debate his Paris-Hilton-esque dull thinking, I suggest simply that maybe he could find a way to do something GOOD?!!

C'mon, Mr. Ellis. GET A GRIP, and do something GOOD with your still-remaining platform. Get on it, buddy. I'm tired of hearing about your internalized homophobia. Surely you are more than that, RIGHT???!!

For instance, maybe write us something a bit more nuanced and honest than American Psycho??!!

Stop wallowing in your homophobia, buddy, and go do something WORTHWHILE. Please.

Posted by: just_a_guy | Sep 22, 2012 1:36:29 PM

6. What is Grindr and why is it important to define gays again?

Posted by: SayTheTruth | Sep 22, 2012 1:40:55 PM

7. What a surprise. Bret is a has-been that still coasts on his success with American Psycho, which didn't become a cult hit until it became a movie and Christian Bale elevated the material.

His newest grab for attention is tweeting every inane little thought of his and purposely saying inflammatory things for attention.

Ellis is now a professional Attention Wh*ring Troll. How the mighty have fallen.

Posted by: Rick | Sep 22, 2012 2:02:08 PM

8. Sounds like projection to me. Ellis is apparently convinced that every gay guy is just as superficial as he is.

Posted by: Keppler | Sep 22, 2012 2:07:58 PM

9. Somebody give Ellis the tiara. He qualifies as Bitter Queen of the Decade.

Posted by: Jack M | Sep 22, 2012 2:11:08 PM

10. So is the real question whether B.E.E.'s internalized homophobia will make an appearance in his upcoming film "The Canyons"??

Part of me doesn't want to allow his broadcasted homophobia to be a platform to raise visibility for his current/upcoming work, but maybe it should be grounds for a BOYCOTT of that work?? I'm not sure. I WANT ANSWERS.

Thing is, The Canyons plot isn't clear to me from the trailer and kickstarter videos. The Canyons looks to be about being young in L.A., which makes me a tad sentimental :--), in good ways I think. Tho I'm not B.E.E.'s age, which shows a tad in the clips of him in the kickstarter clip. Hmmm.

The trailer makes me want to see the film because of the L.A. element that I feel a connection with. But if B.E.E. handled gay issues in it poorly, then I don't want to see it. Or if B.E.E. noticebly scrubbed it from including gay issues, then I don't want to see it.

Who is the REAL B.E.E. I am saying it matters. Who the real B.E.E. is and what he really thinks MATTERS to whether his films deserve my viewing, your viewing, and acclaim generally.

Does anyone have answers besides those that simply pillory him too quickly??

Yeah, he may be a little bit too old to successfully befriend many young attractive folk on, say, Grindr, these days. And he may use Grindr for trashy purposes, or experiment as if to do so, and then judge himself publicly like this, which is fine I guess.

But in my book, these issues don't necessarily prevent him from taking a sensible insightful look into sex/life/love/ambitions of young straight/bi/gay/questioning people generally.

OR DO THEY?? Anyone with more knowledge of "The Canyons" have an informed view here?

Posted by: just_a_guy | Sep 22, 2012 3:14:44 PM

11. So is the real question whether B.E.E.'s internalized homophobia will make an appearance in his upcoming film "The Canyons"??

Does anyone have answers besides those that simply pillory him too quickly??

Posted by: just_a_guy | Sep 22, 2012 3:14:47 PM

12. BEE stills acts like one of the characters from his 80s novel Less Than Zero-bored, bitchy, & jaded.
    I wish he would be more like one from American Psycho and get a rat shoved up his vagina and sewn shut. And by vagina I mean his mouth.

Posted by: mattsy | Sep 22, 2012 3:23:42 PM

13. Who is Bret Easton Ellis?

Posted by: Commenter | Sep 22, 2012 3:48:58 PM

14. I sortof dislike Grindr for various reasons, but depending in the guys and locale, one can make good friends on Grindr.

Ellis is a jerk- he's criticized the It Gets Better campaign, without offering a better solution, he continually agrees with homophobes and bigoted, ignorant, generalized statements, and he's always hem-hawing in interviews about his orientation/love-life, which I frankly couldn't give two sh*ts about. I think when someone has all these issues going on, it's safe to say they're a self-hating gay jerkwad. And hopefully, next time he runs his dumb ass mouth, it'll be around someone with enough self-respect who is well-known and will put them in their place.

We can all criticize and talk about problems with my given issue, but if someone continues to do it without offering a solution or making it better, they're a jerk. And Ellis is definitely one of that crowd.

Posted by: Scott | Sep 22, 2012 3:54:13 PM

15. Bret Easton Ellis stands out a chair and whines "look at me! Look at me! Look! Look! Look! Look at me!"

Adults all ignore him.

There, in 25 words, is everything there is to know about Bret Easton Ellis, his life, his career, and his writing. There's absolutely nothing more to him, so let's move on to a more interesting person.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Sep 22, 2012 3:55:40 PM

16. Scott, I could kiss you for that. EXACTLY.

We get it, Ellis, you don't like _________. Now use your voice to proactively and specifically state not only what you like, but what you know can be applied to Make Things Better.

Or does that require too much thought? ;-)

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Sep 22, 2012 3:58:25 PM

17. I am a 51 yr. old gay man and I have no idea exactly what Grindr is. I have heard of it, and I know it's for gay men and that all I know about it. I have never been to it to see what it's about, because it just doesn't interest me! And if it's just a place to find someone to have sex with, I want no part of it!

Posted by: Randy | Sep 22, 2012 4:10:07 PM

18. paris hilton has a sex tape..what makes her any better..and i don't even know who bret easton is

Posted by: Tim | Sep 22, 2012 4:41:41 PM

19. Grindr, a4s, craigslist, manhunt, all reek of std's and you all homos know it. Anonymous sex is dangerous and disgusting, why are we defending it?

Posted by: HkFca | Sep 22, 2012 5:17:09 PM

20. What is it with gay guys who are around 50? Is it a generational thing? Why do so many of them attack other gays?

Posted by: J | Sep 22, 2012 5:22:57 PM

21. Brett? I thought the 80s were over. He's still around?

Geez, he seems like the perfect candidate for that stupid group HOMOcon or whatever they're called. He should drag the other bitter old queen with the botched plastic surgeon (Rupert Everett) and hope that the skinny crystal meth skank Ann Cunter is around to insult them for being gay. I'm sure they'll love it.

Posted by: FunMe | Sep 22, 2012 5:41:55 PM

22. Good reason to stay off Grindr meeting Bret Easton Ellis.

Good reason to get Grindr blocking Bret Easton Ellis.

Posted by: doug105 | Sep 22, 2012 5:53:40 PM

23. The actual comments that Paris Hilton said and what was reported by Radar Online are two different things. She wasn't talking about all gay men.

With THAT being said, what she said was extremely offensive, making ignorant generalizations. First of all, it was very much anti-HIV. Secondly, it WAS anti-gay as she said "I'd be scared if I was a gay guy, you'll like die of AIDS." So she made a broad negative judgment of gay men. Gay=AIDS/AIDS=gay. Thirdly, she generalized all men who use grindr and so are many gays and pro-gay straights who are chiming in with their "I agree with her" comments.

Not everyone who uses Grindr is looking to hook up and as far as I know, hooking up is hooking up. Whether that's through Grindr, going to the club, at a party, whatever the situation may be. Some people think all hooking up is bad, but many people do NOT react this way towards other forms of hooking up the way they do with Grindr. The reason people condemn Grindr is, once again, due to ignorant generalizations. It's a sex app, ooooh aaah. It's much easier to just worry about your own body and sex life instead of feeling the need to judge others.

Posted by: Francis | Sep 22, 2012 7:38:58 PM

24. Oh and everything that needs to be said about B.E.E. has been. Pathetic self-hater.

Posted by: Francis | Sep 22, 2012 7:46:45 PM

25. Can we just get our panties out our tears for a moment?

According to women and some men, men who hook up with total strangera at the drop of a hat are disgusting. Wow, who knew?

If you're hooking up on Grindr and having unprotected sex you either have it already or have a death wish.

Let's stop acting if sex with total strangers isn't completely sleazy, it is and that's part of the allure. We are bashing Hilton for a back of a taxi drunken conversation with a friend. Get over it people.

Posted by: Michael | Sep 22, 2012 9:25:41 PM