News | The Outs

BigGayDeal.com

Episode 5 of 'The Outs' is Here: VIDEO

Outs5

"F*cking It Up", Episode 5 of Adam Goldman's The Outs is here, and takes a passionate, lustful look at longevity, fidelity, and temptation in relationships.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

(warning: one work-unfriendly moment near the end)

If you haven't been following this six-episode, must-watch web series about gay life in NYC directed by Adam Goldman, here are Episode 1, Episode 2Episode 3, and Episode 4, which you may want to watch first.

Get all the Towleroad headlines first - follow us on Twitter @TLRD.

The Outs: Fucking it Up from Adam Goldman on Vimeo.

Comments

1. Superficial stock characterization? Check. Narratives built almost entirely around emotional and sexual manipulation? Check. Standard gay types (hipster, chub, twink, pseudo-straight, etc.)? Check.

Funny that so many great writers and other great creators of art are gay and yet we seem to have such a dearth of media to reflect a fuller spectrum of the gay experience. A lot of gay guys--just like a lot of everybody--exist in the middle. A little flamboyant, but not femme. A little straight seeming, but still proud. A little tempted and a little flirty, but still loyal. A little juvenile, but still trying to be responsible. A little guarded, but still out. A little introspective and uncertain, but still optimistic. I could go on.

Great writing recognizes that the most interesting drama and comedy happens not in hyperbole and stereotype but in the everyday. Maybe that's too high a standard for this show, but I wish it would at least try to move past stories and phrases that seem pulled from the Gay Guide to Tropes.

Posted by: Stefan | Sep 26, 2012 11:46:16 AM

2. Loved this episode a lot! It was cool to see the back story on this and get some more context on Jack. He's such a great character, and the development of him from episode 1 until now is awesome.

Posted by: JH | Sep 26, 2012 11:49:44 AM

3. I don't understand Stefan - I think it's one of the better gay series there are. It's not stuck on the coming out story and tries to be frank and somewhat realistic but also plays with exaggeration, like a TV series would. I like it.

Posted by: Chris | Sep 26, 2012 12:27:46 PM

4. "This is basically exactly what it looks like."

Posted by: manny | Sep 26, 2012 12:33:40 PM

5. I love Hunter Canning, he is doing a great job as Jack and I really find him attractive.

I know Jack "cheated", but after this episode, I feel more supportive of him than Mitchell.

Posted by: Blake | Sep 26, 2012 12:52:39 PM

6. @Stefan You are entitled to your opinion, even if it does not seem justified.

Posted by: Blake | Sep 26, 2012 12:53:12 PM

7. @Stefan which is the "chub"?

Posted by: BenR | Sep 26, 2012 1:49:44 PM

8. I'm guessing Stefan didn't even watch. I just watched all 5 episodes - stuck home after a tonsilectomy - and I have to say I enjoyed it greatly. A lot of pathos. I like the the protagonists are completely likable, but remain true to themselves. The guy that plays Jack and the guy playing his new bf are great actors. Mitchell and Oona...hmmm, could use better actors. Anyway. Can't wait for the next episode!

Posted by: Ben | Sep 26, 2012 1:54:14 PM

9. @stefan GUESS SOMEBODY NEEDS TO GET LAID??? u mad bro

Posted by: alex | Sep 26, 2012 2:22:41 PM

10. Honestly, the ending was the best part- not becuz of the sleaze and skin, but becuz someone finally put that awful match out of its misery.

And to the guy playing Mitchell, I really hope you interned it this way, because he is a totally assh*le. I prob woulda let the guy continue blowin me if I had you as a bf. but seriously, when people KNOW they're not compatible, and everyone is saying the same, it's maddening to see people continue to hurt each other staying togethr.

Posted by: Scott | Sep 26, 2012 2:38:32 PM

11. Jack is my favorite character. There's a twentysomething sadness to him that I find relatable.

Posted by: Mikey | Sep 26, 2012 2:51:14 PM

12. This is as great as always!!!!! I love the show, the characters and the music. Please put them out more frequently!!! I used to hate Jack but now I get it.

Posted by: cdubois | Sep 26, 2012 3:16:09 PM

13. I don't think it's fair to judge Mitchell based solely on this episode. I do think that this episode was clearly meant to try to make Jack more sympathetic (but really, so was the last episode) after starting him off as a truly "toxic" character in the first episode.

Jack was right, though, that breaking things off was a good idea for everyone involved. Good episode.

Posted by: RandySf | Sep 26, 2012 3:59:32 PM

14. Liked it. First time I've heard of it or watched it. More please....

Posted by: John Simpson | Sep 26, 2012 4:06:57 PM

15. Thanks to Jack, everyone is better off now—Oona, Greg, Mitchell, and himself—and yet, as we've seen, Oona and Mitchell will vilify him for all of it! Jack's true colors show through here, and they're anything but toxic. Poor guy.

Posted by: Zack | Sep 26, 2012 4:56:45 PM

16. If you don't like the show don't watch it ....Problem solved. I like it, perhaps a tad shallow but so am I.

Posted by: dards | Sep 26, 2012 6:37:13 PM

17. Stefan, please point out some "interesting drama and comedy" that sticks to the everyday. Stand-up routines about farting don't count.

Posted by: BobN | Sep 26, 2012 10:41:54 PM

18. @Stefan, PREACH!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Gabriel | Sep 27, 2012 12:25:35 AM

19. > Both Jack & Mitch are great relatable characters, they have struggles and realize they sometimes inhabit stereotypes, but also undercut those stereotypes with details of human compassion. The look of Jack carrying a single shoe on the subway melted me. > Mitchell! > Jack! > The way that Jack decided to "play the bad guy" so that Mitch could do what needed to get done is the best portrayal of the way real people navigate relationships that a TV writer has presented in a very long time. > As the audience moves from simplistc assumptions of Jack's toxicity, to an understanding of mutual imperfection, mirrors the growth of the characters. > These are the best gay characters in the media these days - except Max Blum. And just by choosing this period of everybody's growing up (the disolution of your first real relationship) it's telling a story nobody thinks is important. I see myself so much on screen it's sometimes hard to watch. Then I remember I remember how much I grew.

Read more: http://www.towleroad.com/2012/09/ep5outs.html#ixzz27dtyHpTD

Posted by: karl | Sep 27, 2012 1:26:02 AM

20. Stefan's got it right. This is hack writing and hack characterization with none of the odd, blindsiding turns of event that make a real life story. Most won't notice or care becase most don't notice or care. Doesn't make it bad, just leaves it at the middle brow level of filler.

Posted by: UFFDA | Sep 27, 2012 8:52:47 AM

21. Just horrible acting. The Una person should get a job at McDonald's...with all the talent in NYC this is what they come up with?

Posted by: Pinky | Sep 27, 2012 9:49:59 AM

22. OMG!!! You guys are so predictable. Throw in a couple of good looking men, some sex, and the usual straight guy attraction BS and you are all fans of a poor quality show. I am with Stefan on this one. The writing is horrible and the acting is even worse. The dialogues are worse than Telemundo's afternoon cheesy soapoperas, and the stereotypical characterizations are abundant. The plot is super predictable, like many of you, and the entire setup reeks lack of talent in writing, acting and directing. I watched all 25 minutes and 3 seconds of it hoping that it would get better, when in fact it got worse. I give it two thumbs down because I only have two hands, if I had more I would give ALL thumbs down for this show.

Posted by: Sergio | Sep 27, 2012 1:06:18 PM

23. "I watched all 25 minutes and 3 seconds"

Hm.

Posted by: Leroy | Sep 27, 2012 11:11:47 PM

24. There are aspects of it that I like and aspects of it that are like, meh. But on the whole, I like it more than I don't and I can only wish it gets better. Pardon the pun.

Posted by: stingo | Sep 28, 2012 7:39:41 AM

25. Sorry y'all, but I have to say I'm over The Outs. I was so excited by the first couple episodes, but the non-consistent character motives along with the stereotypical homosexual drama has lost me. I'm sticking with "The New Normal". At least they are mixing things up a bit!

Posted by: Steve | Sep 28, 2012 11:08:53 AM