Barack Obama | Clint Eastwood | News | Texas

Man 'Lynches' Empty Chair Representing Obama

ObamChairLynchWow. An Austin, Texas man managed to merge Clint Eastwood's recent "chair as Obama" skit with one of the nation's sickest racist traditions, lynching, by tying an empty chair to a tree in his front yard.

When a fellow citizen expressed her concern over his method of protest, the man, Bud Johnson, reportedly yelled, "I don't really give a damn whether it disturbs you or not… You can take [your concerns] and go straight to hell and take Obama with you. I don't give a sh*t. If you don't like it, don't come down my street."

The website Burnt Orange, which first drew attention to this display of anti-Obama rhetoric, explains how the transitive property of violent hate works here. You know, just in case the meaning is lost:

One could easily argue "it's just a chair, what's the big deal? That's not racist!"

However, in light of Clint Eastwood's speech at the Republican National Convention, in which he had a largely one-sided conversation with an empty chair he pretended was Barack Obama, this imagery is now associated with the President.

The image of the chair is associated with the President. Now, lynch that chair from a tree, and you've got a pretty awful racist sentiment calling for lynching the first African-American President!

Comments

1. Proof the KKK is alive and well and most of their members are anti-gay Christians.

Posted by: Bob | Sep 20, 2012 12:48:38 PM

2. Obama's win was a devastating blow the mindset of the bigots of the country. The crazy has come out of the woodwork.

newsflash - ya lost the war of northern aggression, the south will never rise again, and no matter how proudly you wave the flag of your losing-army, it will always be just that - the flag of a losing army. and hating black people will only prove your pathetic bitterness. this is digusting.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Sep 20, 2012 12:52:25 PM

3. You know when you forget something or misplace something, you casually say to yourself "I must be losing my mind"? Well a good place to look for it won't be in Texas. They get rid of Anne Richards and vote in Bush and then Rick Perry; when is something good going to come out of Texas?

Posted by: woodroad34 | Sep 20, 2012 12:59:15 PM

4. I didn't realize they could actually put 2 thoughts together...

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Sep 20, 2012 1:04:37 PM

5. What a classy guy! Btw somebody should inform Ms. Manners that the street is NOT his. It is a public road and anyone can drive down it. What an idiot.

Posted by: DAN | Sep 20, 2012 1:17:03 PM

6. In all those years that W was committing war crimes, stealing elections, etc, etc I don't remember ONE person trying to lynch a representation of him. Can we ASK them to secede from the union again?

Posted by: AJ | Sep 20, 2012 1:19:34 PM

7. Okay, anti-social disorder man vents angry anti-social message with props. Got it.

Posted by: anon | Sep 20, 2012 1:23:33 PM

8. Hysterical.

Empty chair. "You can't do that to our Obama!" In "Keeping Austin Weird", of all places.

Step on an empty chair: "HATE CRIME!!!!!!!!!!"

Posted by: MarkUs | Sep 20, 2012 1:25:41 PM

9. Well now we know where all that Neanderthal DNA ended up.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Sep 20, 2012 1:27:20 PM

10. @MARKUS: you are sick if you condone this. Your hatred of the President has gone beyond partisan. You need help.

Btw, remember your quip criticizing Obama on Letterman? What about Mitt & Ann on Live with Kelly yesterday? Answering the biggest softball questions ever! At least Letterman asked tougher questions. But Thurston and Lovey are perfect in your books I guess.

Posted by: DAN | Sep 20, 2012 1:30:12 PM

11. I just saw footage of an effigy of Obama with a dog face being tossed into a fire. But it's from Pakistan. You know, where they don't hate US, they hate THE MOVIE.

BTW, Gallup has Obama's convention "bounce" from +8 to 0 today.

Posted by: MarkUs | Sep 20, 2012 1:31:49 PM

12. MarKus' family is still pissed at being forced to Integrate.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Sep 20, 2012 1:32:29 PM

13. http://heroesforhillary.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/palin-effigy.jpg

Remember THIS from West Hollywood? This was so funny! But I agree, a chair is much more offensive.

Posted by: MarkUs | Sep 20, 2012 1:50:57 PM

14. I wish I didn't have AIDS; maybe I shouldn't have slept with so many trannies...

Posted by: "The Gay" | Sep 20, 2012 2:02:25 PM

15. Ignore the gay. Trolls aren't worth the effort it takes to respond to them

Posted by: MateoM | Sep 20, 2012 2:06:30 PM

16. Markus' family is still pissed that they have to walk upright. Oh wait, I doubt he believes in evolution.

Posted by: DAN | Sep 20, 2012 2:21:06 PM

17. Will you please, PLEASE stop publishing crap like this! I log into your site many time during the day, and I assume and expect honesty.

Please stop with the slam crap. I* know who I might vote for, but I look to your site as a resource. Stop with the slamming trash.

Posted by: Kelly O'Connor | Sep 20, 2012 2:23:16 PM

18. Littlekiwi proves that bigotry is not segregated.

Posted by: Diogenes | Sep 20, 2012 2:23:55 PM

19. Kelly: What are you going on about??

Posted by: DAN | Sep 20, 2012 2:25:50 PM

20. Being black Im offended because he used a folding chair when Clint clearly was using a contemporary Italian Stool. The folding chair shows, this guy clearly has no class.

Posted by: Afro | Sep 20, 2012 2:46:24 PM

21. Markus, will you post some more stupid things so I can have some laughs for the afternoon? Thanks ever so.

Posted by: Gregoire | Sep 20, 2012 2:47:59 PM

22. now, i fully expect the legions who were furious about the "unpatriotic, unAmerican" statement by Natalie Maines a decade ago will be out in full-force to condemn this un-patriotic attack on the President of the United States.

right?

;-)

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Sep 20, 2012 2:57:45 PM

23. Great...now folding chairs will get protected class status.

Posted by: Anon | Sep 20, 2012 3:00:13 PM

24. People who live in liberal areas do not understand that the Civil War is still being foughtno

Posted by: Bob | Sep 20, 2012 3:00:50 PM

25. i'm driving through Austin tomorrow. where does he live? i'd like to see it in person.

Posted by: datlaw | Sep 20, 2012 3:13:52 PM