Chris Kluwe | Gay Marriage | Minnesota | News

Minnesota Vikings Punter and Equality Activist Chris Kluwe Wants to Debate Lawmaker About 'Traditional Values'

C_kluwe

Minnesota Vikings punter and marriage equality activist Chris Kluwe wants to debate Rep. Mary Franson, R-Alexandria, who opposes same-sex marriage, after she singled him out as an opponent of "traditional values" who was sending money to her opponent Bob Cunniff, City Pages reports:

Franson"Because I am standing on my principles the leftists who oppose marriage between 1 man and 1 woman are now funneling money to my opponent," the post continued. "I need YOUR HELP NOW to counter their attacks."

Franson included embeds of four tweets alongside the message, one of them Kluwe's. Not one to back down from a fight, Kluwe quickly took the offense on his Twitter account.

"Basically, I was pointing out the fact that it is very hypocritical of her to ask for a return to traditional values, when traditional values say she should have been in the kitchen, and not in office," Kluwe told City Pages yesterday. "Traditional values doesn't just mean what you want it to mean. It can also mean some pretty bad stuff."

Kluwe says he's been talking to Minnesotans for Equality -- a group opposing the constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage -- about organizing a debate between him and Franson.

Kluwe doesn't think Franson will accept.

Comments

1. Kluwe is correct. 90% of the time bigots don't want to publically debate their bigotry... can't imagine why...

Posted by: JCW | Sep 29, 2012 6:52:33 PM

2. So this one man, who Is happily married to one woman who has given birth to his two children is, to this crazy lady, a "leftist oposed to marriages between one man and one woman?". How stupid can she be to come up with this reasoning?

The equivalent would be to say that if I support a woman's right to vote, then I must automatically oppose a man's right to vote; if I support freedom for blacks then that means I'm against freedom for whites.
    People like her see the world as "us against them.". She can't conceive of treating others with the same respect under the law that she expects for herself.

Posted by: GregV | Sep 29, 2012 6:59:46 PM

3. So this one man, who Is happily married to one woman who has given birth to his two children is, to this crazy lady, a "leftist oposed to marriages between one man and one woman?". How stupid can she be to come up with this reasoning?

Posted by: GregV | Sep 29, 2012 6:59:47 PM

4. Mary Franson makes me ill. I call her a traditional hater. Keep in mind that a lot of women are extremely homophobic even if they don't show it.

Females fear the notion of men interacting with men because it means that women are no longer the center of attention. Women cannot stand not being the center of attention. The entire notion of heterosexual romance is built around the notion of a man paying attention to a woman.

Posted by: jason | Sep 29, 2012 7:17:55 PM

5. Ah, yes. "Tradition." What that really seems to mean is "the good old days, right I after I got all MY rights but you still didn't have any."

How far does she want to go back? To the "good old days" of the 1960s and 70s when it was illegal in some places to sell birth control pills to women who weren't married? When there was no chance that a woman would get equal pay? When it was almost impossible for a single woman to get a bank loan or credit?

Is that the time black religious leaders would like to go back to, the days of "Separate but equal" though it never WAS equal?

People should really be careful about what they wish for. They might just get it.

Posted by: Caliban | Sep 29, 2012 7:47:40 PM

6. Traditions are important. However, on the issue of sexuality, we understand a lot more about it today than we did a hundred years ago. Therefore, it's only fair to extend the tradition of monogamous marriage to people who are homosexually oriented.

Posted by: jason | Sep 29, 2012 8:11:44 PM

7. Don't forget barefoot and pregnant lol

Posted by: justandra | Sep 29, 2012 8:22:38 PM

8. Why is this "traditional values" woman campaigning for office when she should be making sandwiches for her husband?

Posted by: RyanInWyo (formerly RyanInSacto) | Sep 29, 2012 9:21:17 PM

9. Andy, you HAVE to mention Kluwe's blog, or the brilliantly written pro-equality posts therein! In fact, you should make his latest blog post a post on here as well!

Posted by: Elmeditatore | Sep 29, 2012 9:34:58 PM

10. Keep your damn religion out of my politics, government is a business and we are all equal partners in this venture so we should all bear the benefits of this business because we all pay for it.... As far as marriage goes it should be a right to everyone no matter what....... It's not like they are asking the church to recogionize the marriage just the government so keep your damn (and I am right to say damn) religion out of my business.

Posted by: Uncle Sam | Sep 29, 2012 9:54:06 PM

11. We don't "oppose marriage between 1 man and 1 woman" you stupid cow, we just want "1 man and 1 man" or "1 woman and 1 woman" have the same right to marry like "1 man and 1 woman" do.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Sep 29, 2012 11:58:35 PM

12. Chris,

Why would you want to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person?

Posted by: Marc C | Sep 30, 2012 12:25:39 AM

13. Oooh. Really have to worry about those "leftists"! Pink scare!! I'm quaking in my boots.

Posted by: Jeff Atwood | Sep 30, 2012 1:03:33 AM

14. "Keep in mind that a lot of woman are homophobic even if they don't show it." What? Yeah, spewing hatred is a great way to argue against hatred.

Posted by: chris | Sep 30, 2012 1:21:16 AM

15. This See You Next Tuesday also has three children *and* is a "licensed child care provider." She shouldn't be within ten miles of an impressionable young mind. Hope she gets voted out of office, loses all her clients and becomes a member of the "dependency society" she so despises.

Posted by: Mark | Sep 30, 2012 2:30:33 AM

16. Jason, women as a group support gay rights more than men do. Although I am sure there are some women that think the way you describe, I know a lot of women that love to hang out with gay men, because there is a chance at real friendship without the awkwardness of sexual desire.

Posted by: Mawm | Sep 30, 2012 9:19:13 AM

17. Jason, women as a group support gay rights more than men do. Although I am sure there are some women that think the way you describe, I know a lot of women that love to hang out with gay men, because there is a chance at real friendship without the awkwardness of sexual desire.

Posted by: Mawm | Sep 30, 2012 9:19:14 AM

18. How novel - to have people donate to a candidate whose viewpoints they agree with. This sounds like a traditional value.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Sep 30, 2012 12:42:07 PM

19. @MAWM And, if I might point out, in the early years of the HIV/AIDs crisis, women, particularly Lesbians, were right there in the trenches, offering support and compassion and assistance in the long battle against Reagan/republicons' indifference to the suffering of not just gay men, but all people affected by AIDs.

Posted by: jamal49 | Sep 30, 2012 12:54:31 PM

20. this woman is a parent. she better thank her lucky stars there are men like Kluwe, and countless others, out there. those people are going to be the reason her potentially-gay children don't end their lives.

over and over again anti-gay bigots seem to think that being anti-gay means they're incapable of giving birth to gay children.

they're wrong. and they usually don't find that out until it's too late.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Sep 30, 2012 2:23:27 PM

21. She needs a traditional washing of hair.

Posted by: trees | Sep 30, 2012 2:38:37 PM

22. @CHRIS, @MAWM, "Jason" is a well-known misogynist troll on TR. Best to ignore him.

Posted by: RJ | Sep 30, 2012 8:33:06 PM

23. Where are the LITTLE comments of Victor and Eli et al? I miss them so. LOL

Posted by: Andrew | Sep 30, 2012 11:28:18 PM

24. I support ALL families.

Posted by: radioredrafts | Oct 1, 2012 4:22:04 AM

25. Yeah, what is she thinking? She belongs behind a stove, barefoot and pregnant. And sweetie, pick up the pace on dinner...the game is on in 20 minutes and I still see no food in front of me. Ya know, that chick I banged back in high school could put out AND cook! LOL See, sweets, knuckle-draggers would have you chained to a stove, not making ignorant statements to the press. Oh, babes, where's my beer? Is that what you want? Traditional "Archie Bunker" values? HA! Careful for what you wish for....

Posted by: millerbeach | Oct 1, 2012 5:43:09 AM