Minnesota Vikings Punter and Equality Activist Chris Kluwe Wants to Debate Lawmaker About ‘Traditional Values’

C_kluwe

Minnesota Vikings punter and marriage equality activist Chris Kluwe wants to debate Rep. Mary Franson, R-Alexandria, who opposes same-sex marriage, after she singled him out as an opponent of "traditional values" who was sending money to her opponent Bob Cunniff, City Pages reports:

Franson"Because I am standing on my principles the leftists who oppose marriage between 1 man and 1 woman are now funneling money to my opponent," the post continued. "I need YOUR HELP NOW to counter their attacks."

Franson included embeds of four tweets alongside the message, one of them Kluwe's. Not one to back down from a fight, Kluwe quickly took the offense on his Twitter account.

"Basically, I was pointing out the fact that it is very hypocritical of her to ask for a return to traditional values, when traditional values say she should have been in the kitchen, and not in office," Kluwe told City Pages yesterday. "Traditional values doesn't just mean what you want it to mean. It can also mean some pretty bad stuff."

Kluwe says he's been talking to Minnesotans for Equality — a group opposing the constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage — about organizing a debate between him and Franson.

Kluwe doesn't think Franson will accept.

Comments

1. GregV says

So this one man, who Is happily married to one woman who has given birth to his two children is, to this crazy lady, a “leftist oposed to marriages between one man and one woman?”. How stupid can she be to come up with this reasoning?

The equivalent would be to say that if I support a woman’s right to vote, then I must automatically oppose a man’s right to vote; if I support freedom for blacks then that means I’m against freedom for whites.
    People like her see the world as “us against them.”. She can’t conceive of treating others with the same respect under the law that she expects for herself.

2. GregV says

3. jason says

Mary Franson makes me ill. I call her a traditional hater. Keep in mind that a lot of women are extremely homophobic even if they don’t show it.

Females fear the notion of men interacting with men because it means that women are no longer the center of attention. Women cannot stand not being the center of attention. The entire notion of heterosexual romance is built around the notion of a man paying attention to a woman.

4. Caliban says

Ah, yes. “Tradition.” What that really seems to mean is “the good old days, right I after I got all MY rights but you still didn’t have any.”

How far does she want to go back? To the “good old days” of the 1960s and 70s when it was illegal in some places to sell birth control pills to women who weren’t married? When there was no chance that a woman would get equal pay? When it was almost impossible for a single woman to get a bank loan or credit?

Is that the time black religious leaders would like to go back to, the days of “Separate but equal” though it never WAS equal?

People should really be careful about what they wish for. They might just get it.

5. jason says

Traditions are important. However, on the issue of sexuality, we understand a lot more about it today than we did a hundred years ago. Therefore, it’s only fair to extend the tradition of monogamous marriage to people who are homosexually oriented.

6. Uncle Sam says

Keep your damn religion out of my politics, government is a business and we are all equal partners in this venture so we should all bear the benefits of this business because we all pay for it…. As far as marriage goes it should be a right to everyone no matter what……. It’s not like they are asking the church to recogionize the marriage just the government so keep your damn (and I am right to say damn) religion out of my business.

7. Mark says

This See You Next Tuesday also has three children *and* is a “licensed child care provider.” She shouldn’t be within ten miles of an impressionable young mind. Hope she gets voted out of office, loses all her clients and becomes a member of the “dependency society” she so despises.

8. Mawm says

Jason, women as a group support gay rights more than men do. Although I am sure there are some women that think the way you describe, I know a lot of women that love to hang out with gay men, because there is a chance at real friendship without the awkwardness of sexual desire.

9. Mawm says

10. jamal49 says

@MAWM And, if I might point out, in the early years of the HIV/AIDs crisis, women, particularly Lesbians, were right there in the trenches, offering support and compassion and assistance in the long battle against Reagan/republicons’ indifference to the suffering of not just gay men, but all people affected by AIDs.

11. says

this woman is a parent. she better thank her lucky stars there are men like Kluwe, and countless others, out there. those people are going to be the reason her potentially-gay children don’t end their lives.

over and over again anti-gay bigots seem to think that being anti-gay means they’re incapable of giving birth to gay children.

they’re wrong. and they usually don’t find that out until it’s too late.

12. millerbeach says

Yeah, what is she thinking? She belongs behind a stove, barefoot and pregnant. And sweetie, pick up the pace on dinner…the game is on in 20 minutes and I still see no food in front of me. Ya know, that chick I banged back in high school could put out AND cook! LOL See, sweets, knuckle-draggers would have you chained to a stove, not making ignorant statements to the press. Oh, babes, where’s my beer? Is that what you want? Traditional “Archie Bunker” values? HA! Careful for what you wish for….

13. Diogenes Arktos says

@DB: You somehow must have missed his ‘lustful cockmonster’ post on deadspin.

His blog #13, “Dear Mr. Balling”, eviscerates an op-ed piece against marriage equality. It begins as follows:

Dear Mr. Balling,

I read your opinion piece in today’s Star Tribune, and I would like to take a brief moment of time to offer you some assistance in your future writing endeavors. I can only assume that you’ve never been trained in classical logic, debate techniques, or basic empathy, so I will humbly offer my own meager knowledge in these fields as it relates to your literary masterpiece “Why same-sex marriage affects my marriage”.