BigGayDeal.com

News: David Testo, Meningitis, Morrissey, Iran, NYC LGBT Center

RoadMitt Romney's favorability lower than George W. Bush.

RoadNYC's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Community Center gets a makeover.

RoadIranian news agency mistakes article from The Onion for actual news: "Not only did FARS miss the joke, they plagiarized the Onion story wholesale, without even crediting the fake news outlet."

TestoRoadExcellent profile on out footballer David Testo: "David had been a permanent resident of the gray area. Who knew; who didn’t know? Who was OK with it; who was judging him behind his back? He had no clue. It drove him crazy. Never once, in all of his years playing soccer, did a teammate ask straight up if he was gay. And he never formally came out to anybody either. But in Vancouver a funny thing happened in the locker room."

RoadCalifornia Governor Jerry Brown signs bill that will provide more supportive homes to LGBT foster youth: "Assembly Bill 1856, authored by Assemblymember Tom Ammiano and co-sponsored by the L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center, will require existing training programs for foster youth caregivers to include information related to cultural competency and best practices for serving LGBT young people."

RoadMore on NYC's Meningitis outbreak among gay HIV-positive men.

RoadMorrissey was offered a vegetarian Coachella if he would reunite with Johnny Marr as The Smiths: "[I]nterestingly the agents for Coachella offered a 100 percent vegetarian event for the following year if I would agree to headline with Johnny Marr as the Smiths. Fascinatingly they made it clear that they would 'not require' the Smiths' bass player or drummer ... which I thought certainly said something."

RoadNYT on SF's new anti-gay drunk-driving archbishop: "Some expressed hope that in getting to know his followers here, Bishop Cordileone would come to see things their way. Others were more defiant, saying nothing would shake their faith. 'In a sense, I am glad that the church is sending the top guy that they have — the top antigay — because it means that we, as a community of Catholics, have done something good to deserve attention,' said George Woyames, 68, who added that he was raised as a Roman Catholic but became committed to the religion only after joining Most Holy Redeemer in 1987."

Comments

1. Meningitis? Mmm let's check out grindr

Posted by: rick scatorum | Sep 29, 2012 8:48:58 PM

2. I had brunch with the drummer from the Smiths once (and someone I won't name) and didn't recognize that it was him because I have face blindness. Moz is a funny monster.

Posted by: Paul R | Sep 29, 2012 9:25:01 PM

3. "If you’re straight, you learn from examples everywhere around you," says David. "But if you’re gay you’re just left hanging there – you learn about your sexuality anonymously, through dark spaces."

Precisely!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Sep 29, 2012 10:02:47 PM

4. I feel sorry for Bishop Cordileone, as he's proving what Jesuits always said about 'closeted lifestyles,' how they lash-out against others in the pathetic attempt at making themselves-out to 'look' or 'feel' superior ... for shame.

Posted by: Clayton Winton | Sep 29, 2012 10:02:58 PM

5. There is no meningitis outbreak that is due to your sexuality. Saying that meningitis is occurring amongst gay men is pure homophobia dressed up as concern. Don't let the medical bureaucracies flatter you with their fake concern.

Posted by: jason | Sep 29, 2012 10:09:03 PM

6. You aren't the sharpest tool in the shed, are you, Jason?

Posted by: LiamB | Sep 29, 2012 10:24:49 PM

7. Let's not gloat too much about the Iranian FARS new agency not getting that the Onion is a satirical source. How many among US would recognize Iranian humor and satire? It's a testimonial to the sometime super-fine work the Onion writers do.

I mean, sometimes it's hard to believe that the iranian President and the Pope are not escapees from some really bad SNL thing.

Posted by: gregory brown | Sep 29, 2012 10:32:56 PM

8. David Ehrenstein,

Yes, it's true that gay men often learn about their sexuality through dark spaces. However, why is that the case?

Could it be because gay men enjoy dark spaces? Could it be because gay men need the darkness to hide their promiscuity? Could it be because men in general need to hide their sexuality from women? Think about it.

I'm a great supporter of being upfront and honest in broad daylight. Broad daylight is where we should be. I want to be out there with the sun shining on me.

Posted by: jason | Sep 29, 2012 10:48:17 PM

9. ... Like a Rhinestone Cowboy!

Posted by: Marc C | Sep 30, 2012 12:22:10 AM

10. This information is really useful! It's just what I was searching for math tutoring online

Posted by: math tutoring online | Sep 30, 2012 3:52:27 AM

11. How does 12 cases of whatever-the-f**k since 2010 qualify as an "outbreak"?

Posted by: Blue Whirl | Sep 30, 2012 5:22:17 AM

12. @David Ehrenstein,

Are you still a Marxist, Mr. Ehrenstein? Is Saul Alinsky still your hero?

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 30, 2012 12:32:49 PM

13. My hero is Frank O'Hara (Go Google, I'll wait)

I've had sex in the dark AND broad daylight,"Jason."

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Sep 30, 2012 1:46:13 PM

14. One more bit of evidence that Fox "News" rots the brain.

Posted by: David R. | Oct 1, 2012 4:40:19 AM

15. Mr. Ehrenstein,

I know who Frank O'Hara is and watch almost zero TV. Neither do I listen to 'conservative' talk radio. I have little use for FOX, CNN, NBC,CBS,ABC, PBS,NPR, etc.

Lil' Canadian,

Since you're an expert on multiple internet personas, you can answer your own question.

Posted by: ratbastard | Oct 1, 2012 4:47:13 PM

16. This information is really useful! It's just what I was searching for editing term papers

Posted by: editing term papers | Nov 5, 2012 2:56:18 PM

17. Wealth and want equally harden the human heart.

Posted by: band shirts | Nov 9, 2012 6:17:56 PM