Baseball | News | Ozzie Guillen | Sports | Yunel Escobar

BigGayDeal.com

Ozzie Guillen Defends Yunel Escobar's Anti-Gay Slur: 'In My House, We [Use] That Word Every 20 Seconds'

Miami Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen, who was punished in 2006 for making an anti-gay slur about Sun-Times columnist Jay Mariotti ("What a piece of [deleted] he is, [deleted] fag.''), reacted to a similar incident by Toronto Blue Jay shortstop Yunel Escobar this week.

Marlins_guillenGuillen defended Escobar:

On Tuesday, Guillen said he didn't think Escobar meant to be offensive.

"I think he just did it for fun. I know he didn't mean to hurt anybody's feelings. Nobody is that stupid," he said before the Marlins hosted Atlanta.

"In my house, we call (each other) that word every 20 seconds. I've got three kids," Guillen said. "For us, it's like 'What's up, bro? What's up, dude?' It's how you say it and to who you say it. But that's our country. We have to respect this country. Sometimes for us it's funny, for other people it's not."

Escobar received a three-game suspension and must pay his lost salary to GLAAD and the You Can Play project. He will also undergo sensitivity training. Perhaps Guillen should join him.

Comments

1. yeah you use it until one of those kids turns out to be gay, and its not funny anymore. DISGUSTING. what an effing pig.

Posted by: Nelson_in_SJ | Sep 19, 2012 11:07:50 AM

2. No, Ozzie, you've demonstrated repeatedly you're that stupid. It's not "how you say it and to who you say it." It's a reinforcement of the hetero-normative paradigm that oppresses difference and being un-masculine.

Or to put it in simpler terms, it's keeping the faggots in their place.

Posted by: Jonathan | Sep 19, 2012 11:08:20 AM

3. If it's so harmless, I want one of these people to explain *why* the word is considered funny.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Sep 19, 2012 11:09:24 AM

4. UH...as a former NYC bartender in a restaurant who heard "maricon" used by the kitchen staff about the waitstaff...um...i'm pretty sure I/we know what it means.

and just because you and your fellas keep saying it a lot doesn't make it ok. "Hey, we always say f@ggot.."

Uh. K. You can stop, you know.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Sep 19, 2012 11:10:16 AM

5. there are households where racist terms about latins are used all over the country...does he think that makes it ok to be a racist ?

Posted by: paul | Sep 19, 2012 11:14:18 AM

6. This guy is an ignorant low class venezuelan maricon is as insulting in our country as it is in america period not excuses for that type of language anywhere he needs to do some grow up or simply keep his dirty mouth shot

Posted by: jesus salgueiro | Sep 19, 2012 11:18:01 AM

7. "It's a reinforcement of the hetero-normative paradigm that oppresses difference and being un-masculine"

Because, of course, being attracted to other men sexually EQUATES to being un-masculine in your view, right? Right.

A perfect example of the internalization of societal norms that I am always referring to--many "gay" men have basically accepted the idea that being attracted to other men makes them of inferior masculinity....and so they play out the part, modeling their behavior on women and adopting effeminate mannerisms, which is just the OPPOSITE of being truly liberated and self-accepting....in fact, it is as conformist as it can possibly be.

Which is the REAL source of ALL our problems.

If gay men did not behave that way, then they would no longer be disrespected and subject to taunts and putdowns of this sort.

It is entirely your choice whether or not to continue with such behavior, but I can assure you that if you do, you will NEVER be respected or accepted by other men and no amount of passage of legislation or media pressure will ever change that.

Posted by: Rick | Sep 19, 2012 11:20:32 AM

8. Stop being stupid people... sometimes words become a part of the culture and take on different meanings. If there were a death penalty for saying "faggot," all of you would be on the firing line. What if someone took offense with YOUR use of it, even though you claim it's your right, you don't mean it that way, etc? It doesn't matter how you say it, you say it all the time, in Spanish they do as well but under different, non-hateful circumstances. Learn about the quirks of language and move on.

Posted by: denisonnison | Sep 19, 2012 11:20:35 AM

9. the problem with latin culture these few men that have not evolved. I'm glad they are not allowed to get away with "I dont mean to offend" YES THEY DO...they know exactly what it means. I say put them all in GLAAD sensetivity classes idiots.

Posted by: Bosie | Sep 19, 2012 11:21:10 AM

10. "Duh,if I had a brain I'd have a real job."

This Neanderthal is raising kids !

I don't mean to offensive either,Guillen, but you're a stupid c*nt.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Sep 19, 2012 11:24:16 AM

11. Denisonnison, there are many words I could use to describe your excusing of ingrained hate speech, but I am too polite... pity you and all these clueless people that use and excuse hate speech can't see your way to decent public discourse too!

Posted by: CKNJ | Sep 19, 2012 11:27:36 AM

12. actually, RICK, you're wrong as usual. how can i prove it? simple - the gay men you've dedicated to living your anonymous internet life to hating are out there living real, authentic, visible lives.

and you're anonymously bitching about it on the internet. from a place of cowardice.

i dont' know any straight males who take issue with the gay males you take issue with.

you are living proof that a life wasted in the closet drives a person to crazy miserable delusions.

you can continue to scream your bitterness from your anonymous internet handle. it won't make your own life better, it won't find your a man, it won't make anyone respect you, but most importantly it will in no way negatively impact the lives of the gay men whom you blame for your own inability to live an Out and Honest life.

when you finally die nobody will miss you and you will not be remembered.

it's a funny thing - miserable posters on this site have called me a "Stereotypical flaming queen" and all that jazz...well, um, I also remain a close friend of the Burke family. Y'know, the You Can Play folks. General Manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Straight sports family, whose gay son came out and was tragically killed in a car accident a few years back. They didn't say "we'll respect you if you're gay as long as you're macho and play sports"

quite the opposite. it's "we'll stand by you because that's the right thing to do"

i understand, Rick, that guys like you are furious that those "femmes" can live openly in a way that you'll never have the balls to. But your projection of misery is ugly, and transparent. you're a worthless coward. you really should kill yourself. have some drinks. drive yourself home.

or keep coming here every day to complain about those people who arent' living closeted lives like you are. if living vicariously through an anonymous internet handle is all you have left...well...that's beyond sad.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Sep 19, 2012 11:27:46 AM

13. Ozzie, saying it repeatedly to your kids is your way of instilling shame and fear into your kids in case one of them turns out gay. You want to force them to remain in the closet. You're teaching them to hate gays. It shows how homophobic you, your family, and your culture are whether or not you realize or admit it. Shaming your kids into a hetero-normative mindset should be considered child abuse.

Posted by: belo | Sep 19, 2012 11:27:50 AM

14. So he uses a lot of bad language around his kids. Says something about him. I can remember my father one time blurting out 'f*ck' when he was angry about something and my mom glaring at him because he said it in front of us kids. Funny. Now I admit I have a bad habit of swearing, but I certainly didn't pick it up from my parents. Everybody's different I suppose.

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 19, 2012 11:32:33 AM

15. And so according to Ozzie Guillen if in my home every twenty seconds we call each other, both the adults and the children,racial slurs representing the ethnicity of Ozzie's home country, equating the slur with "What's up, Bro?" and "What's up, dude?" or wrote the slur Black makeup under the eye he would accept that it was all in good fun?

Bull Sh*t, sugar!

What a load of disingenuous cr*p!

What he means to say that is their country they don't concern themselves with the feelings of gay and lesbian citizens, that it is open season on the gay community, and that even their children are permitted to disrespect a whole group of people in misdirecting an anti-gay slur at a friend?

All in good fun?

And when it is directed at someone they do not like . . . is that also all in good fun?

I repeat: "Bull Sh*t sugar!!

Posted by: Ricco | Sep 19, 2012 11:35:06 AM

16. @Rick Masculinity and masculine behaviors are learned behaviors as much as effeminate one. Only society deems what is masculine or effeminate. Read Boyarin's _Unheroic Conduct: The Rise of Heterosexuality and the Invention of the Jewish Man_. He pretty much explains that in some cultures, like amongst European Jewry, "masculinity" and being butch is seen as being uneducated and undesirable. Being soft spoken and gentle ie "effeminate" is what men should strive for.

Posted by: Carlos | Sep 19, 2012 11:35:18 AM

17. "I don't mean to offensive either,Guillen, but you're a stupid c*nt."

Another example of the gender-confusion I referred to in the first comment. Try referring to another man you are going after aggressively as a "pr*ck" or a "d!ck" instead of as a "c*nt", Jack. Really, it is not that hard.

And related to that, let me add to my first comment that if Escobar had used an equivalent of the word "sissy" or "pansy" instead of the equivalent of the f-word, then I would have had no objection to what he did and he undoubtedly would not have been called on the carpet as he was.

Let's be clear about this. Slamming someone merely for their sexual orientation is out-of-bounds or should be.....but slamming a man for being an effeminate, masculinely-deficient coward is entirely kosher and always will be.

A point that needs to be made in all of this.

Posted by: Rick | Sep 19, 2012 11:37:48 AM

18. I am cuban and i am gay and some of my straight friends say this, i know they mean no harm, it is part of a culture that has moved away from the machismo and just "recycled" the word.... sometimes when i'm stuck in traffic and someone cuts in front of me i say it too...and no i dont mean the old lady that almost hit my car is a gay man .....it is used in the Caribbean ....... i dont think Escobar meant to hurt anybody and the apologies are never good enough for the bitter ones ....we (gays) as a community are more sensitive than a nipple piercing ...everything is an attack, everything is an insult... chill

Posted by: xael | Sep 19, 2012 11:38:30 AM

19. Despite his ignorance, he's right. The word is used often, probably w/o considering the real meanings, and he's living in the USA where it is different from his personal experience.

Given all that, and now that you know, will you still be using that language? I suspect, yes, because as this entry notes, you were already called on homophopic language in the past.

So, why exactly would anyone waste any further time on you? Most people wouldn't. You live in the world you create, fool.

Posted by: Pete N SFO | Sep 19, 2012 11:38:55 AM

20. RICK says - parenthesis mine -"If gay men did not behave that way (effeminantly, affectedly, flauntingly), then they would no longer be disrespected and subject to taunts and putdowns of this (the degrading) sort."

This is so obvious it should never need stating, yet it does and RICK alone, consistently makes the trenchant point: affected, effeminant "gay" behavior as seen - almost "established" - in our media is not only mockably distasteful to most men, but also, thankfully, not actually representative of most gay men.

Still, I must alwys make the point, there are those who cannot help a certain kind of obvious effeminant behavior and these, often very sweet men, deserve all the respect and love the world can offer.

Posted by: UFFDA | Sep 19, 2012 11:42:22 AM

21. @denisonnison,
    My friends and I do NOT call each other "faggot". The only Gays I know that do that are all GOProud A-holes.

Posted by: 1♥ | Sep 19, 2012 11:45:43 AM

22. "Masculinity and masculine behaviors are learned behaviors as much as effeminate one"

Only the culturally-specific manifestations of masculinity are learned, but masculinity itself is entirely based in nature.

The physiology of men is different from that of women, just as the physiology of males in other species is different from that of females. And these physiological differences--levels of testosterone vs. levels of estrogen, just to use the best-known example--absolutely drive behavioral differences........the greater aggressiveness of men compared to women being tied entirely to these physiological differences and being one of the defining features of masculinity.

And this is the case across cultures, regardless of the specific cultural expression that that aggressiveness takes (whether through ritualized warfare in more primitive societies or through violent sports like football and hockey in modern North America)

The desperate attempts of "gender-non-conformists" to contravene nature will fail as all such attempts do......which is why effeminate, cowardly behavior in men will always be rejected by human beings everywhere and will subject those who demonstrate it to contempt and rejection, as it should.

And the sooner gay men come to terms with that reality, the sooner we can get on with changing the gay male culture to fit the larger male culture, which is the only way homophobia will ever be truly eradicated.

Posted by: Rick | Sep 19, 2012 11:46:20 AM

23. I would say Mr. Escobar doesn't need help from anybody like this.

Posted by: Jack M | Sep 19, 2012 11:48:32 AM

24. the fact that the "Rick"s of the world can never put a face to their statements proves them wrong. If you're such a real man who's such an Impressive To Heterosexuals Homosexual then why hide? Because you're a grown adult wimp whose balls have never dropped.

I don't know any straight men who take issue with "gay men who are effeminate" - I only know insecure homosexuals who do that, because they're still walking around each day in fear of being "known as gay."

man up already.

that rick and his fellow fake-online supporters are the only plebes who follow this mentality speaks volumes. you're all clamoring for a revolution that will never come, and it'll never come because the only guys who want what you want are all collectively too cowardly to do anything about it. seriously - off yourselves. you've already wasted your lives, no sense in continuing.

yup. rick is here to bash effeminate men. anonymously, of course. that's how cowards roll.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Sep 19, 2012 11:48:51 AM

25. @ RICK :
    There's nothing gender confusing about my bad language, Rick.
    I just like using bad words, of whatever kind.
    @ UFFDA : Surprisingly, I agree with you....

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Sep 19, 2012 11:49:30 AM