Rupert Everett Is Against Gay Parenthood

Rupert_everett4Rupert Everett, of My Best Friend's Wedding, Shakespeare In Love, and so on, "can't think of anything worse than being brought up by two gay dads."

So he says in an interview with The Sunday Times. (The Times is subscription-only, but you can find a recap at The Telegraph.) Why does he feel this way? It's his mum:

“She thinks children need a father and a mother and I agree with her,” he
said … “Some people might not agree with that. Fine! That’s just my opinion"

Rupert's mum, says the actor, always wanted her son to marry a woman and have kids. She'd still like that, she says:

“I’d like him to have children. He’s so good with children. He’d make a
wonderful father.

“But I also think a child needs a mummy and a daddy. I’ve told him that and he
takes it very well. He doesn’t get angry with me. He just smiles.”

In case we'd forgotten, the Telegraph helpfully reminds us that Rupert Everett is the same actor who's urged gay thesps to remain in the closet for the good of their careers.

Comments

1. Joey Y says

Yawn. Rupert blames him coming out for his stalled career, but it didn’t stop more talented actors. Also, I know tons of terrible straight parents, and all wonderful gay parents.

2. nn says

In a way, I feel sympathy for him. Because it seems like he does not love himselv, respects himself, or accepted that he is gay and embrace that part of him. There must be a reason why he has so much self-hatred inside him. At the same time the words he says so devastating, particularly for young LGBT people. I can not recall that he ever made ​​a positive comment about gay people – that all

3. scott says

Rupert’s a hack. His acting is honestly mediocre- and I honestly couldn’t read much of his autobiography as he comes across as very self-centered, arrogant, and self-consumed. That probably is why his career has suffered more than his coming out.

4. Buddy says

I am a fan of Rupert, but I suspect he has some self-loathing issues he hasn’t come to grips with. He is entitled to voice his opinion, of course, but I wonder if he also feels that having NO FATHER/MOTHER is better than having two??

5. bambinoitaliano says

If there’s a case of regression, Rupert is the patient zero. Such bitterness. He needs to re examine his life and deal with this negativity. Time is running out, he is going to die a very very sad man. A condition no one should end his/her life journey in.

6. Jed says

he grew up with both a father and a mother but he still ran away at 16 and worked as a male prostitute for drugs and money (as he admitted in a 1997 interview with US magazine). he’s entitled to his opinion but his example doesn’t support his position.

7. Jonathan says

Who ever gave this idiot a chance in films? He was perfectly in his element as a hustler. He only says this crap so people write articles about him. He’s stupid and ugly and untalented. Why do we care?

8. NE Rich says

Controversially contrarian since the early 80’s, to anyone who will listen. How long is this guy going to live off the brief stardom of Another Country? I would hate the thought of him raising a child not due to his sexuality but his pointless cynicism and his apparent lack of empathy. You’re over the hill for your chosen profession, maybe you choose a midlife career change, something that is not based on youth and self-absorption. You won’t be missed because you were never that good to begin with dear. Night night.

9. Laura says

Maybe his career has dried up because he’s a mediocre actor and doesn’t seem like a very nice nor likeable person? My guess would be that his sexuality is pretty far down on the list.

10. Don says

This would be the same Rupert Everett who ran away from school at 16? The same one who became a prostitute for drugs and money? The same Rupert Everett who was raised in a religious, military family with both a “mummy and a daddy”?

For someone whose writings and public comments are notable for their self-absorption, he shows a remarkable lack of self-reflection. Alas.

11. Caliban says

In case you’ve never noticed, Rupert Everett is a whiny c*nt who blames everyone but himself for his stalled career. According to Rupert Everett, Rupert Everett is a fabulous actor who should have been, nay, DESERVED to be a top star and leading man and he blames his lack of stardom on his homosexuality because that’s easier than blaming his own lackluster performances, drug use, and being a well-known b*tchy diva on set.

The only thing that prevents him from becoming an anti-gay internet troll is that bottom-feeding journalists are still willing to print his bilious rants so long as he makes them “controversial” enough.

12. Malaysian Ho says

Or the Texas mom that drowned her 5 kids.
    Or the New Jersey mom that stabbed her 2 year old infant.
    Or the dad that slaughtered his son, chopped up his body and mixed it in the concrete backyard.
    Or the dad that had hid child`s body part in the fridge.
    Nothing can be worst than being raised by 2 dad.

13. Cal says

Ugh, I’ve seen him in interviews and it’s sad. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but his remarks and reasoning make him seem ridiculous. Once he stated he was against gay marriage, and his reasoning (in a nutshell) was that he was a whore. Also, he doesn’t want to be “mainstream.” OK RUPERT.

14. Jay in SF says

Seriously? His mummy thinks kids deserve a mummy and a daddy…so he does too? Hi mummy also believes he should get a wife and start having kids. Well…Ru…the worlds waiting for you to follow mummy’s orders.

15. Bart says

LOL! I couldn’t think of anyone’s opinion that I value less. Why would anyone care what he thinks about…anything? Because he’s an actor? Makes me value his opinion even less. Because he’s gay? Who isn’t? Because his Mommy says so…how stupid is that? Rupert always seems so unhappy and though I hate the idea, self-loathing.

My two sons would happily tell him he needs to shut up and look for his next job. Because they both have it pretty good and live in a home filled with love and joy, creativity and athletics, respect and acceptance.

Please don’t mistake a British accent with intelligence. Mr. Everett is a prime example of why.

16. Uisce says

Children are the blight of human existence. I have no idea why anyone would repopulate this horrid world. Take two steps outside and you’ll encounter a useless ankle-biter with its shrill emanations and detestable visage. Smug teenaged females. Crying babies on planes and in restaurant. Unruly, unleashed toddlers at the supermarkets. Vermin, every last one of them. They should be raised like cattle by electroconvulsive machines until they are conditioned to behave and produce in society.

17. says

Sad that they had to go back 15 years to find a movie that he’s in that anyone cares about. He blames being gay for his stalled career, not horrible movies like “the next best thing.”

Ignoring that there are plenty of successful gay actors out there like Matt Bomer, Ian mackellan, Zachary Quinto and John Barrowman, he instead just says nasty stuff to get noticed.

Why do I feel like a gay remake of “whatever happened to baby Jane” with he and Kevin Spacey is in the works.

18. says

PS : Gay dads have the motivation, care, and interest to educate and rear their children, which is more than can be said of many who become parents ‘by accident’.

Rupert is blathering on, as he always does, about his own shortcomings and his life-failures.
    I agree that this creep is “self-loathing”.

19. Geoff says

Celebrity, major and *minor (*in his case) does not preclude mental illness…and often can enhance it. His self-loathing has been a matter of public record for years and years. The poor thing. Clearly “Mummy” hasn’t done him any favors.

20. jimsur212 says

I support the right of any gay person to have, adopt or raise a child. However, I expect that few of us, myself included, will choose to exercise that right.

21. says

I absolutely, positively DESPISE that man.

He is the epitome of a “self hater.”

I feel bad that homophobia seems to be drilled in his head and he can’t get past it, but it’s well past time we DENOUNCE everything this man has to say and make it clear *he does not represent us!*

22. bobbyjoe says

Hey, Rupert,

Brad Pitt called. He said even if your mom is a bigoted idiot, you can still love her without agreeing with her stupidity.

Might want to give it a try.

23. cadence says

Rupert has some issues. Unfortunately, his family seems to be at the root of why he’s so unhappy, and has such low self-esteem. He has so much going for him, but it seems like his problems, and the way that his mother has poisoned his mind are keeping him from having a great life.

24. Palmer says

Let’s see, who am I going to admire more, a man of limited emotional and mental abilities, or the likes of Derek Jacobi, John Geilgud and a host of out, proud and SUCCESSFUL British actors?

25. Wilberforce1 says

He was good in Ideal Husband. But really, actors are the dumbest set around, besides models. They probably should keep their yappers shut most of the time. But the public are not much better for listening to them.

26. Robert K. says

It’s too bad. I thought that he gave a very charming, charismatic performance in “My Best Friend’s Wedding” and he was very good-looking, too. I hope that he gets some help or else he’ll join Kirk Cameron on the anti-gay talk circuit and the two of them can bring themselves to orgasm by reciting the dirtiest parts of the Bible.

27. Robert K. says

28. Andrew says

These are good people giving their opinions on a very difficult topic. Even though I don’t completely agree with their opinions, they have ever right to be heard. Unfortunately the left wing purists, every bit as intollerant as the right wing purists, will savage them. Hopefully they are strong enough to ignore the idiots.

29. Mitch says

What’s all this “he has a right to his opinion”? Having an opinion contrary to fact deserves being called out. Wouldn’t we do the same if his opinion, based on his Mum’s input, was that the world is flat?

PS. In my opinion, that he claims to be an actor, is not supported by the facts.

30. Icebloo says

Rupert was born into money. He has a very wealthy background. He’s never done a days work in his life. He is completely out of touch with reality.
    He can’t find a boyfriend who will stay with him because he is a mess. He’s always been a mess. If he could find a man to stay with him and have kids he would – he’s just a spoiled, jealous, bitter little boy.

I don’t want kids but I will certainly support the people who do want to have kids. That’s the difference between me and Rupert Everett – I’m not totally self absorbed !

31. Victor says

It’s not that kids need a mom and dad, it’s just that gays are not suited for parenting. To raise a child you have to teach them, you know, important things, like being honest, keeping your word, being courageous, how to develop dignity and integrity, and so on.

My experience is that these good traits are sadly lacking in the gay community. If a boy is raised by two gay dads, he’s likely to learn how to do drugs or become an alcoholic, pick up hustlers, go bareback even when HIV is still a serious threat, post naked and shameless pics of himself online, beg other men to pee in his mouth, never fully see another man as a human being beyond being a sexual object.

He’ll also never learn how to keep his word, be a dependable worker, or show any genuine involvement in his community. He’ll also develop a strong aversion to intelligence and depth of character. And he’ll crumble under pressure or any time he actually needs to “man up.”

You know, the usual issue that plague the gay community today.

Nope,sorry, it’s just not a good idea for gays to raise kids. Not until gays can get their act together. That’ll probably be never, of course.

32. Victor says

@ANDREW: I’m already out. Just ashamed to be associated with your lot. You know, I like being a man, possessing manly virtues, etc. You know, all those things completely foreign to all you pooftas over there in Fairy Cupcakeland.

33. Andrew says

@Victor: NO self respecting gay man would post the vile nonsense you posted above. You are just some a$$hole making waves. Believe me REAL gay people have triumphed over enemies far more significant than ants like you.

34. says

Mama’s boy with chronically low self-esteem went to Hollywood where rejection and exploitation is the name of the game and now COMPLAINS that the cosmos conspired to keep him in the D-list because he’s gay. Aaawwww, sweetie — here’s a 1,500 milligram ampule of morphine sulfate; before you shoot it up both arms, take three shots of tequila. I guarantee you’ll feel MUCH better, dear.

35. FunMe says

English guy who when he was young had great looks and dabbled in prostitution right before becoming an actor … now looking desperate after BAD PLASTIC SURGERY and no one wanting his type because of his bad attitude … now has an “opinion” that no one cares about …

NEXT!

36. Andrew says

@Victor: After rereading your vile post above, I apologise for thinking that it was bogus. I now realise that it is autobiographical. I have read that in the 1970s and 1980’s there were gay men who lived like you. Thankfully, except for a few holdovers like you, that is all ancient history.

37. Victor says

@ANDREW: No, only a self-respecting man would. It’s about time real men who care about other people, about being decent, and about intelligence and empathy finally stood up to the nonsense, frivolity, duplicity, and shamefulness of the gay community.

Example: HIV is still a very real problem, but go to a sex site and men are both begging for and bragging about doing it bareback. And then when they get sick we’re supposed to open our wallets and hearts and look upon them as “victims.” It’s effin’ pathetic. Man up and be responsbile for your own life.

38. Victor says

@ ANDREW: Nope. I’m sure it gives you comfort to think I’m talking about myself, but nothing could be further from the truth. I actually know how to be responsible, keep my word, and be a honest man in word and deed. I don’t need to get drunk every week, pick up men off the street, or spread my ass cheeks in pics for sex sites in order to feel good about myself.

39. Andrew says

@Victor: Stop going to sex sites and go to places where you can meet real honest, decent, hard working, committed gay men. I volunteer at a gay community center and have met none of the type “gay” men you seem to know. Some of the men and women who come to the center, when not busy working and raising children, are outstanding people. The world is passing you by. Get out and meet the out and proud gay people of today. Put down the computer and the sex sites and meet real gay folks.

40. Robert K. says

Victor is probably Rick/Jason’s latest moniker. But even if Victor is his own person, the gay men I’ve been privileged to know over my lifetime have never been remotely like the bogus stereotypes that Victor presents.

41. Boone says

He thinks that most gay men are like him and that those who aren’t, want to be. The reality is that most gay men are not at all like him and no one really wants to be. What a pathetic egoist. (No, Rupert, that’s not a compliment)

42. writingme says

What detestable, loathsome things to say. I’m really trying to label his behaviour as unpleasant, as opposed to he himself, but wow, it’s getting harder with each and every damaging comment he makes. He sounds like an ass. He embraces typical negative British stereotypes: miserable, snooty, facetious, ill-humoured.

43. writingme says

I DO love the picture they put up with him. Only someone who looks so disarried, if you will, will say idiotic things like that.

His comments are enough for me not to support his career. I’ll boycott any movie in which he is credited.

44. Victor says

Andrew said: Stop going to sex sites and go to places where you can meet real honest, decent, hard working, committed gay men. I volunteer at a gay community center and have met none of the type “gay” men you seem to know. Some of the men and women who come to the center, when not busy working and raising children, are outstanding people.

Robert K. said: he gay men I’ve been privileged to know over my lifetime have never been remotely like the bogus stereotypes that Victor presents.

You two are absolutely kidding yourselves. Pure delusion. “Decent” and “gay” cannot be used in the same sentence without the most bitter irony. For your information, I have been to those “places” of which you speak. I have been very involved and committed, and all I see area bunch or two-faced, superficial drama queens. Undependable and untrustworthy. Selfish and petty. And Robert, gay men are nothing BUT walking stereotypes.

You two are just so biased that you convince yourself to believe these candy-coated mythologies that surround gay men and gay culture. Gay men are a walking, breathing joke.Wake up you two. You’ll be better for it.

45. nikko says

I do hate the excesses I see in the gay scene and avoid it altogether. I understand what you see but I don’t paint all gay men as such….I’m just careful in who my friends are.

46. Deval says

It’s not exactly “self-hatred” to say you don’t like the idea of having two dads. I’m gay to, and I also wouldn’t have wanted two dads, because I really liked having a mom.

The “gay community” is turning into a fascist state, because everyone has to toe exactly the same line on gay marriage. If you’re not pro-marriage, then you’re defined as “self-hating.” We’re reducing gayness to a stupid struggle for the right to stuff ourselves into an outdated ideal of heterosexual marriage and raising children. I’m completely sick of it. As far as I’m concerned, Rupert is one of the few honest gays left.

47. Victor says

NIKKO said: So Victor, what do you suggest if all gay men are walking jokes…we turn straight? How about you?

No, I like being gay and wouldn’t change it for the world. But gay men need to man up and stop being such two-faced, panty-waist cowards. I feel nothing but disappointment and dismay with what I see around me. There is too much drunkeness, too much self-inflicted victimhood, too much vapidity, too much vanity. I’m sick and tired of standing up for gay men in this world only to be met with disappointment when dealing with gay men themselves. It’s effin’ridiculous.

48. jamal49 says

Gee, Rupie. Maybe one of these days I’ll get around to seeing one of your films. Meantime, why don’t you snort another line, kick back another shot, then sit down and shut up.

49. Buck says

you were put on screen to appeal to gay women and men, who many times don’t care about acting chops, but care about seeing a little pretty at the theater. 20 years on, pretty ain’t so pretty and the acting chops remain at bay. Sooooo . . whattayado? speak from your own internalized homophobia and piss everyone else off. The bad thing? That’s just wrong. The good thing? We will most likely never be forced to watch you in screen again. Imbecile.

50. Buck says

51. Andrew says

@Victor: In closing, because I don’t intend to waste anymore time on you: If you are really a gay man and believe the comments you have posted here, you are in need of serious psychological intervention. Assuming that you are gay, I have never seen your level of self hatred before.

52. Bryan says

He should go back in the closet, seeing as he seems so bitter about being gay, maybe he’d be happier there?

It’s not too late for him to honor his mum’s wishes and marry a woman. He could easily pull an Anne Heche and claim it was just a phase.

53. lurid says

it doesn’t matter how you truy to reason around this – Rupert is right! There is a reason why a child is created by a man and a woman, children NEED both.. you can’t fight the truth