News | Rupert Everett

BigGayDeal.com

Rupert Everett: Gay Marriage is 'Beyond Tragic', Having Babies is 'Absolutely Hideous'

Rupert Everett clarifies his recent remarks about gay dads to Decca Aitkenhead at the Guardian:

Everett"For me, being gay was about wanting to do the opposite of the straight world, so I think that's where my problems in this particular area come from. For me, personally, the last thing I would like in the entire world would be to go through cocktailing my sperm with my boyfriend and finding some grim couple in Ohio who are gluten-free and who you pay $75,000 to have your baby. To me it feels absolutely hideous. But that's me, just me. I'm not having a go at gay couples who do. I think if Elton and David want to have babies, that's wonderful. I think we should all do what we want. Isn't there a middle way, where you can just say, 'Not for me, but it doesn't matter'? But no, everything's sort of turned into al-Qaida. I'm sure I'm going to be nail-bombed. David Furnish is probably going to send Patrick Cox with a bomb and blow up the theatre."

Everett adds, on marriage:

"Why do queens want to go and get married in churches? Obviously this crusty old pathetic, Anglican church – the most joke-ish church of all jokey churches – of course they don't want to have queens getting married. It's kind of understandable that they don't; they're crusty old calcified freaks. But why do we want to get married in churches? I don't understand that, myself, personally. I loathe heterosexual weddings; I would never go to a wedding in my life. I loathe the flowers, I loathe the fucking wedding dress, the little bridal tiara. It's grotesque. It's just hideous. The wedding cake, the party, the champagne, the inevitable divorce two years later. It's just a waste of time in the heterosexual world, and in the homosexual world I find it personally beyond tragic that we want to ape this institution that is so clearly a disaster."

Comments

1. Though at times our Rupert can come across as a rather bitter, self hating queen, in his defense one must always note that he takes great pains to state that what he has to say are his own opinions, and not that of the gay community as a whole.

I'm happy to be legally married. If I were younger I would have liked to have had children... to each their own.

I hope we are entering a stage in our history where individuality can be expressed without it seeming a betrayal of our struggle for equal rights.

Posted by: JCW | Sep 29, 2012 6:49:30 PM

2. OMG! I actually have to agree with that useless POS...will wonders never cease?

Posted by: Booka | Sep 29, 2012 7:09:32 PM

3. Rupert makes two stupid assumptions. 1st that all gays are queens and 2nd that all marriages take place in church. He's wrong on both counts of course. But, maybe it's a British thing.....

Posted by: Tim NC | Sep 29, 2012 7:11:50 PM

4. Chalk up another one who thinks Everett's viewpoints are both valid and progressive. I long have held that most ongoing rituals and institutions have already outlived their usefulness. Mankind is supposed to evolve and innovate, not cling to archaic trappings (e.g., weddings, popes) and promises (marriages, vows of celibacy) that no longer work, no longer serve a practical purpose. And how deadening and even enraging to, instead of encourage creativity, suppress it in favor of a demand for conformity - in perpetuity.

Posted by: WebHybrid | Sep 29, 2012 7:15:03 PM

5. I'm sorry but how is Rupert Everett still relevant anymore?

Posted by: jason | Sep 29, 2012 7:19:53 PM

6. HE DOES MAKE SOME GAFFES SOME TIMES BUT I HAVE TO AGREE WITH HIM ABOUT APEING THE STRAIGHTS BIT, MARRIAGE IS CERTAINLY NOT FOR EVERYONE, LOOK AT THE STRAIGHTS WITH THEIR DISMAL FAILURES AT IT, IT ONLY WORKS FOR SOME OF THEM, SO WHY APE THE STRAIGHTS. WE STILL HAVEN'T HEARD ANYTHING ABOUT GAY DIVORCES YET, I THINK IT'S TOO SOON BUT TIME WILL TELL. AND MEN BEING WHAT THEY ARE HOW FAITHFUL ARE MEN GOING TO BE IN MARRIAGE ANYWAY. MAKES A GIRL THINK DOESN'T IT? ANYWAY, I ALWAYS LIKED THE DOMESTIC PARTNER ANGLE BIT MUCH BETTER AND PREFER THAT ROUTE MYSELF. BUT IF YOU WANT TO GET MARRIED, THEN GOOD LUCK MY DEARS.... AH RUPERT BABY YOU ARE SO CONTROVERSIAL BABY BUT NOTHING WRONG IN THAT YOU CERTAINLY DON'T RUN WITH THE HERD AND MORE POWER TO YOU.

Posted by: THE QUEEN | Sep 29, 2012 7:23:25 PM

7. His need for negative attention is kind of sad.

Posted by: LJC | Sep 29, 2012 7:24:37 PM

8. FREEDOM IS ABOUT BEING ABLE TO MAKE CHOICES- if we tell him his choices are wrong, we may as well be Romney.
    --I would point out that Rupert, besides the baggage any Gay man his age carries, will never know what his career or life would have been if he were straight
    --I also seem to recall stories of his getting banged a lot in bars in NYC, so perhaps his self esteem is not the greatest

BUT HE WAS RESPONDING TO QUESTIONS, NOT GIVING A SPEECH

Posted by: Bob | Sep 29, 2012 7:30:17 PM

9. I truly detest that man.

Posted by: Ryan | Sep 29, 2012 7:30:43 PM

10. Nothing ages you more than bitterness...case in point...rupert whatever.

Posted by: PAUL B. | Sep 29, 2012 7:53:47 PM

11. He isn't unreasonable. I do agree with him about the horrors of a church wedding (UGH!) But there are financial and legal needs filled by marriage here and in other countries that require this legislation. You can't stand on the sidelines as a gay person and say, "Well, I don't need that right to live my life, so it isn't important." He is picking and choosing his support for the civil rights of gay people. That is kind of what gay Rethuglicans do. I am not transgender, but I support their cause. I already have children from a hetero marriage, but I support lesbians and gays who want to marry and adopt. I buy the whole package of civil rights for gays.

Posted by: candideinnc | Sep 29, 2012 8:04:14 PM

12. Who cares what this old, bitter, irrelevant queen thinks of anything? He's correct that marriage is ridiculous, though.

Posted by: Adam T | Sep 29, 2012 8:13:14 PM

13. I sort of agree with Rupert (who, by the way is NOT aging well at aall).I have never understood this desire for gay men and women to marry. I've been with my partner for 37 years and we don't need a certificate to validate our "marriage".
    Other than the tax advantages it MIGHT provide us there is no advantage. Other than the desire to be totally equal with straight people, and who wants to be equal with people who can't dance and have bad taste.
    I am amazed at the number of our straight friends who's weddings we have attended who end up separated or divorced a few years later. Why do we want to copy that model.
    My partner and I have completely merged our investments, wills and our mortgage.
    I have nothing against those couples who wish to have a wedding and would never talk against it. But until it is legal its just a commitment ceremony. We are a commited couple, in fact some say we should be commited, but I digress.
    I'm sure my partner (I hate that term but I don't no any other) and I will not see marriage equality in our lifetimes (we're what you youngsters call old trolls) but you kids will see it, have patience. Then you can have all the rights of straight couples, including expensive divorce lawyers and alimony.

Posted by: I wont grow up | Sep 29, 2012 8:22:50 PM

14. Whatever, who cares what he thinks. I think it's funny that his big claim to fame is My Best Friend's Wedding, and here he is loathing weddings!

Posted by: Jim | Sep 29, 2012 8:28:35 PM

15. Wow, I'm surprised so many people on here are defending this pig after all the sh1t he said last week. He is a disgrace, yet some of you idiots are agreeing with him. Morons.

Posted by: Idiots | Sep 29, 2012 8:42:09 PM

16. Geez,he could leach the light out of a room.

Posted by: greenfuzz | Sep 29, 2012 8:51:44 PM

17. I agree with Rupert to some degree but the reality is he has a VERY hardened, old-school rebellious gay, way of seeing things. So he isn't at all an ideal person to look to for opinions on social matters.

Posted by: Francis | Sep 29, 2012 9:11:32 PM

18. Why do the surrogates have to be gluten free?

Posted by: Andy | Sep 29, 2012 9:33:23 PM

19. Sorry, but I remember not too long ago (and many older than me do as well) when the gays who wanted to get married were the ones who were vilified for not fulfilling their "pride" credentials. It was a very tough tide to swim against, being accepted neither in the straight world nor in the LGBT community. So please: spare me the request for a pity party for those who fear backlash when being against marriage. As a semi-famous gay man, Rupert has a responsibility. I'm sorry, but he does. And that responsibility is to *at least* make an effort to advance the rights of the community of which you're publicly a part.

What he should have said is "personally, I plan to never marry and I'm sure many others feel the same way, but it's still an important issue and a fundamental right." Rupert will always have the choice to avoid the awfulness of marriage and kids--he has that choice. I don't have mine in the vast majority of states and nations in this world. When we have the luxury of either not marrying or marrying, then that is the time for sharing opinions with this kind of tone and lack of political awareness. Until then, get on board or shut it.

Posted by: Stefan | Sep 29, 2012 9:34:53 PM

20. This is the exact opposite of what he said before, when he said two dads would be the worst possible parents. He's a loser.

Posted by: Ryan | Sep 29, 2012 9:50:09 PM

21. More hideous: gays having children, or shallow gays making crazy statements for attention and effing up their once-handsome face?

Posted by: ChristopherM | Sep 29, 2012 10:00:58 PM

22. You're a bunch of brainwashed a-holes. Rupert is right on the mark.
    Self entitled fags are so today. I agree with him totally. Replicating heteroosexuals is the biggest tragedy to happen to homosexuals in history. And if these comments are any indication, most of you don't think you'll ever age. When you do, you will be the most bitter generation. You missed what gay is really about. You've morphed into something the devil would welcome with open arms.

Posted by: DV | Sep 29, 2012 10:04:47 PM

23. He has a point.

Posted by: Ted_In_Dallas | Sep 29, 2012 10:15:40 PM

24. I'm in love. The day Marriage (capital M) is legal in Minnesota, I'll be down on one knee, begging, pleading for my partner of eighteen years to marry me. Rupert can have his opinion, I have my man.

Posted by: tim | Sep 29, 2012 10:21:49 PM

25. He was the villain in Inspector Gadget. I think that invalidates any and all opinions he has

Posted by: NOM Comments | Sep 29, 2012 10:54:07 PM