Stevie Wonder Apologizes For Comments On Frank Ocean

StevieStevie Wonder has apologized for the rather disappointing quote he gave The Guardian about the coming-out of singer Frank Ocean. When asked earlier this week about Frank Ocean, Wonder said:

I think honestly, some people who think they're gay, they're confused.
People can misconstrue closeness for love. People can feel connected,
they bond. I'm not saying all [gay people are confused]. Some people
have a desire to be with the same sex. But that's them.

Sure — some people do get confused about sexualty. (I did. My first love was a girl.) But for an honest-to-goodness American national treasure to respond in such a way to the first-time-in-history coming out of a hip-hop/R&B star was dispiriting, and suggested that maybe Mr. Wonder wasn't entirely comfortable with Frank Ocean's gayness.

Mr. Wonder has tried to clear things up with a statement to The Advocate:

I’m sorry that my words about anyone feeling confused about their love
were misunderstood. No one has been a greater advocate for the power of
love in this world than I; both in my life and in my music. Clearly,
love is love, between a man and a woman, a woman and a man, a woman and a
woman and a man and a man. What I’m not confused about is the world
needing much more love, no hate, no prejudice, no bigotry and more
unity, peace and understanding. Period.

Does that settle it?

Comments

1. Sargon Bighorn says

Why are the Gay people the only ones that ever seem to be confused? While the world is in such a mess and run by the clear thinking well adjusted not confused heterosexuals? Mr Wonder, I appreciate you are indeed an advocate for peace and love, but you seem to be confused about how it will come about. Are all musicians so confused about love?

2. Kim says

My brother like Stevie Wonder(read his autobiography) was sexually abused by a man as a teen. For a few years in his late teens my brother thought he was gay because he enjoyed the sexual experience and the bond/intimacy with his abuser (our minister).Although he was always attracted to females even before the abuse. He was confused.IT happens. Stevie never said Frank was confused and Frank has never stated he was Gay to my knowledge

3. says

Stupid sh*t comes out of people’s mouths all the time. Depending on the person, context, generation, etc, one must gauge what the appropriate response is. Obviously, what he said was disappointing and ridiculous, to say the least. Frankly, in his case, I figure he must have been smoking something when he said that, because the words are so OUT OF LINE with who he is as a person and what he stands for as a musician.

Stevie Wonder IS a national treasure. And, if you don’t know that, then study up. Please try not to have a knee-jerk reaction to someone whose heart is golden. This world would be a sadder place without Stevie Wonder and 70s (and 60s) music would never have been the same.

In his particular case, I’d personally prefer to focus on what he said in his followup.

Frank Ocean’s retweet from yesterday: “in the practice of tolerance, ones enemy is the best teacher” – dalai lama”

In answer to your last question, Brandon, for me, yes, that settles it.

4. says

And, Kim, is also correct. I’ve known straight guys who were confused sexually because of male-on-male physical abuse from their childhood. It happens. And, the disappointing and ridiculousness in the context of Wonder is the way it came out.

5. say what says

Daily kos has a blurb up

“Some California love for the DNC: Assembly Speaker John A. Pérez will address the Democratic National Convention. Pérez made history by being the first openly gay person elected speaker of a state legislative body in the United States.”

2 demographics covered by 1 person…gay and Latino

6. Icebloo says

It’s too late his real feelings about gay people have been revealed. Now he’s just trying to save his career. He still wants us to buy his music and tickets to his show so he has apologized. Just like so many other straight artists he likes our money but he doesn’t like us. Fu#k him !

7. Michael says

I just called to say I think I love men
    I just called to say I think I care
    I just call to say I think I love men
    But I’m not sure cause I might not even be gay.

8. busytimmy says

ICEBLOO, if you know anything about SW it’s that he is a legend and does not need to “save” his career. Save your indignation for the political system in this country, and find some real injustice to get upset about. SW has clarified his comments, which from the commenst above seem to have some real resonance with some folks life experiences (abuse/etc.), and I believe him. This is a false controversy. Let it go!

9. DanSwon says

Good enough for me. I didn’t find his comments even slightly offensive in the first place. I think this super-uptight nit-picking does nothing but harm to our cause. It makes it look like we aren’t satisfied with anything and complain about the tiniest little things. There are MUCH more important things for the LGBT community to concern itself with.

10. TampaZeke says

I accept his apology. I just wish that when people say they were “misunderstood” or “taken out of context” would take the time to explain what they meant by WHAT THEY SAID. Otherwise it makes these apologies seem insincere and forced. I believe Stevie is sincere and I appreciate how he’s been an ambassador for love and justice but I would like for him to take the time to explain what he actually meant by his original statement.

11. Peter M. says

His apology is nice, but doesn’t adress the real problem: his words weren’t misunderstood. The underlying homophobia (same-sex sexual and romantic attractions and feelings are often just a confusion) was very clear. Too bad, HE doesn’t understand that.
    __________________________________________
    PS: According to “The Guardian” he was asked: “Was he surprised that there could, in 2012, be a furore at the revelation that a rapper might be gay?”

And to that he answered “I think honestly, some people who think they’re gay, they’re confused”

12. says

This isn’t for Stevie, but is directed to anyone who stoops low enough to defend the notion of attaching confusion to being gay, and strictly gays- which is EXACTLY what his original quote did.

Shame on you. Anytime you associate confused to gay people, and single gay people out for that trait—– you are directly feeding the anti gay rhetoric. What a complete disservice to the many gay people who had to go through a long journey to find themselves, only to have HOMOPHOBIC individuals tell them that “you may be confused” when to land in their destination after that journey of self acceptance. There is nothing more insulting. Truly nothing, than to discredit who a person has become. And as it relates to gays, which anti gay folks love to discredit our being, to attach confusion to us is to deny us any self respect.

13. Scott Johanesen says

The entire memo of the homophobic bigot clan is to sell society on the idea that we’re confused. THAT IS THEIR WHOLE BATTLY CRY. That is their theme for denying us rights. That was the theme for killing gays for many centuries. That we’re confused. I can’t think of a more blatant offensive thing to say about LGBT than pulling out the confusion card at them. I’d liken it to saying black people are lazy, or brown people are not as smart. It is a catch phrase used to not legitimize a demographic and tank them. For us, every fight we’re had has boiled down to the myth sold about our so called confusion. Defending against this so called confusion. Bigots selling us as confused freaks of nature. Conversion therapy programs to ‘de-confuse’ you and ultimately ‘de-gay’ you
    The biggest thorn on our side has been the confusion label.
    So if there’s anything worth being fired up about, it’s having that horribly ugly label attached to the LGBT experience, and that being your first response to a question about an LGBT individual.

14. Scott Johanesen says

The biggest thorn on our side has been the confusion label.

15. C says

It’s actually disgusting that some of the replies are associating rapist/pedophiles to gay men, and you absolutely are. To you I say F*CK YOU! You filthy pieces of sh-t. A big f-ck you!

The interview and question had absolutely NOTHING to do with pedophilia. It was regarding Frank Ocean, and gays in 2012. To respond with a reflex that automatically goes to someone who sexually abused innocent children, regardless of your personal experience, is revolting, not homophobic but HATE. Pure HATE in your heart. You are projecting that on gay men.

16. Dynex says

Honestly? I didn’t think much of the quote until I read the people defending the quote. Most of whom sound nothing short of ignorant and bigoted toward gays themselves, without even realizing it. Sexually abuse as children? Confused children who mistake friendship for sexual desire? mistaking platonic love for lust? and y’all are claiming you’re not homophobes?
    By this apology, I can take that Stevie is most likely not a homophobe. But by the explanation of those who defended his original comments, I’d say you are. Some of your far fetched defenses for his quote are things I’m not sure he’d co-sign too. And are straight up homophobia if I’ve ever heard. Own it. Don’t get defensive when called out on it. Own your ignorance.

17. says

I’m going to be brutally frank; some of the most disappointing and bigoted commentary I’ve read -albeit very few, and thankfully not many- has been in the responses to the Wonder story, and those who agreed with his initial statements. They actually reaffirm everything those who take offense with his statements are saying, and are objecting too. Instead of being so hell bent on getting your point across on psycho analyzing the gay community and who we are, step back and truly listen to your words and hear how they come off. If you can objectively say they are not ignorant, than I can objectively see how ignorance breeds in society today.

18. Real Talk says

There’s no justifying the original remark, and even he himself wanted to clarify them and felt the need to clarify them. So get the hell outta here with all the “well, yeah many gays ARE confused” hyper protecting of Stevie. Stevie’s back peddalin and wanting to re clarify his point himself.
    Some of y’all need to welcome yourselves in 2012 where telling people who they are, or even commenting about members of an entire community and the psychology behind why they are who they are is inappropriate and gonna get you rightfully shunned. go live your live instead of fixating on how gays became gay. seriously.

19. C.J says

I’m gonna have to echo other posters. I accept Stevie Wonders apology. It was very rapid, quick and well worded and seems sincere BUT what I’m not going to accept is those who are going off the deep end defending his first statment about the confusion of some gays. some of what you all are posting is far more offensive than the original quote. Some of you seem to have bottled up your personal feelings on gays, and took this opportunity to just come out and air all your ignorance.

Here’s a hint: when you tell a segment of the population, who has been questionned all their lives about who they are, that many of them are really just confused…..buckle up, put on your big boy pants, and be ready for a rebuttal. Maybe even a passionate rebuttal. Why? because you earned it with your own confusion.

20. Yellow-Mellow says

I agree he should have apologized, and anyone claiming he shouldn’t is a huge stain on our community and probably led a very priveliged existence. Go talk to my best friend who has been told all his life he is not really gay, just confused, attempted suicide on two seperate occasions, and became clinically depressed for some time because of the confused meme bigots love to throw in our faces. Confused is the bigot who tries to control the lives of someone else. This damaging label has cost the lives of many a gay folks and needs to be corrected and challenged whenever it is preached.

21. Nerd Dude 1981 says

You’ll sometimes hear a few gays say the cliche “we’ve got bigger fish to fry” in reference to any story that disrespects who we are. They say, overlook it “we’ve got bigger fish to fry”
    Someone is promoting falsehood about members of our community? Forget about it, they say, “we’ve got bigger fish to fry”

That fish sure is colossal at this point. What is that bigger fish? Gay marriage. Is that and other prominent court cases the only channel all and every single LGBT need to pour our resources into?

Sorry but for some of us, education in the streets, attaining respect, educating minds on who we are, challenging those who are misguided about who we are, and the mental shift in public is FAR FAR more important than the gay marriage debate. Why? because you build things brick by brick, and the first brick in attaining rights is respect. If people don’t respect you, they won’t vote for you. That certainly doesn’t mean being confrontational when someone makes an inappropriate remark about LGBT, but it does mean it is vital each & everyone of us educate those minds who do speak from a place of ignorance. Sit down, and open that line of communication. Those in the “bigger fish to fry” camp just want us all under the gay marriage umbrella, as if that victory will magically make all homophobia evaporate. There’s couldn’t be more flawed thinking.

What truly makes homophobia settle down is to engage those who make misinformed comments about LGBT. respectfully approaching them, and not being afraid to have that awkward chat.

So for those of you in the “GAY MARRIAGE IS OUR LIFELINE” camp. Cool. Do you. That’s the heart & soul for being gay for you? than advance it by supporting just that. For the rest of us who care about advancing LGBT in a broader spectrum, don’t attempt to silence us for having a voice in speaking our truths, and letting truth win over false lies about LGBT. We’ll always speak up, and stand up, even if it’s not collective.

22. Observer says

Before some of you posters get startled at those defending his original comment, that sounded wack, just know that towleroad and this story about Stevie have been linked to one of his biggest fan sites on the net. So a lot of the visitors and valiant defenders you see aren’t actually gay, just die hard Stevie fans. Hence why it’s even more important to bridge the gap and tell them exactly why we did feel his original comment did a disservice to many GLBT out there.

23. Mario says

Thank you for the apology Mr. Wonder. I’m glad you made it, and as others said, it really did need to be made. So thank you for that.

And for anyone questionning why he had to apologize? it’s fascinating you’d even have to ask, but since you’re unwilling to have that critical thinking, or even care about the gay community much to even explore that thought:
    when a question is posed at you regarding a specific person who is gay/bi and the question has absolutely nothing to do with their confusion in being who they are, and your initial response is irrelevant mumbo jumbo about confusion, and same sex attraction, you derailing the context of the question asked at you to pitch an unrelated homophobic tune. dance around it all you want, that’s what happened.

24. 2 Dads says

The interviewers question had no reason to warrant that response he gave. Nothing. It’s puzzling anyone would be surprised by the gay community being disappointed in Stevie’s first comments, but not surprising. We live in a society that states racism, sexim, any ism toward other demographics is evil and worthy of great backlash from the group on the receiving end of the ignorance, even subtle ignorance. But with gays? unless someone is literally beating us violently, there’s no reason to react to any ignorance directed at us. And any reaction from us is over reactionary. Why? because our society has decided homophobia should have a place at the dinner table, and gays should learn to deal with it. For shame.

25. says

today’s activists prove one thing…they don’t listen..they just wait…….Stevie said what he said…he shouldn’t have to apologize to emotional hypocrites posing as activists….very sad of today’s society…

26. Duration & Convexity says

2 Dads-
    I sincerely have to agree. I abhor racism, and call it out as I see it. It’s repulsive in this day & age. But the very posters I see here who consistently get livid over racism seem to never be able to empathize or sympathize when LGBT are feeling isolated, hurt, rejected or offended. In their minds, homophobia takes a lot to prove, but racism is believable at face value, and worthy of more passion in combating it. That’s incorrect. Racism and homophobia both stem from a place of lack of understanding. Both should equally be considered when said groups hurt by the actions of others, express that hurt. What I observe on here is that the posters most willing to extend empathy in stories relating to shameful racism toward a politician or public figure, are usually very reluctant to extend that same empathy to LGBT.

27. Leo Leo says

Folks who don’t grasp why some didn’t appreciate Stevie Wonder’s words need to grasp a very simple point here. had stevie included all sexualities, or name dropped other sexualities, or simply said “and that confusion can occur with heterosexuals too” none of the people objecting his comments would have a leg to stand on. But he didn’t do that. he easily could have, and his original point would have not only made sense but been enhanced by the fairness of it’s context. but he chose to leave it at same sex attraction that correlates to confusion. it was precisely because he singled out the gay community toward a claim the gay community has been trying to fight for ages now, that he invited the criticism. to refuse to understand that very basic point is to willingly be opposed to understanding the other side, which speaks volumes on you rather than some gay people.

either way, Stevie gets it! now time for you too as well.
    thank you stevie for being compassionate enough to care about others.

28. Tim San Diego says

He needed to clarify the weird, murky statement he made. He really did. And this does a beautiful job of clarifying it. But it really did need to be made clear. Again, it’s crystal clear now. Back to listening his amazing music I go!

29. Mike says

Stevie is just repeating the propaganda a lot of anti-gay Christians use to attack LGBT people when they say “gays are confused”. The truth is a lot of Christians are confused by these anti-gay Christians who take part in these hate groups who are out to do as much damage as they can to LGBT people and other minorities they think they need to attack.

30. says

What I found most frustrating with the comment and similar comments made is that it came from a straight man. Straight people have an ugly pattern of defining who we are. That’s extremely insulting and yes, it frustrates our community- rightfully so. They need to stop commenting on who we are, even who some of us are. They are not qualified and frankly, it will always come off ignorant when they do.

31. guarico says

I guess gay people are the only people not allowed to be offended, according to some. We respect when women feel as though there is a war against women and we hear their concerns, same as African Americans, immigrants, but when LGBT voice their concerns to less than appreciated comments, we’re told to put a muzzle on. No, we don’t have to. We’re public enemy number one in many parts of the world, denied civil rights in America and basic rights in most of the world. We, of all people, have the right to speak our mind about our concerns and feeling like we’re misrepresented.

32. guarico says

@NHeany
    you’re trying to fan the flames, and are making that over the top comment in order to make gay people look bad, and are probably a supporter of Stevie and his words. Stevie Wonder is an amazing talent. And no one here has said they hate him. Or implied it. Many of those being critical of his words are also fair minded enough to not believe he’s a bad person, many even thank him for his apology, and still disagree with his choice words. Educational is only achieved through discussion, so I applaud those who gave valid reasons why they took objection to Mr. wonders and spoke from the heart. You can’t take a mans convictions from him.

33. Starshiner says

Thank you Stevie. Your music has brought groups together through love, and hence why some gay peeps were felt let down by your rather divisive words in the interview. Clearly you felt compelled enough to brush that previous quote behind, and go back to what makes you special.. Spreading music and messages of unity and love.

34. Lincoln Heights says

The problem is how often we as gays have our sexuality put to question.
    The problem is how often we as gays have to defend out sexuality.
    The problem is how often the words confused, choice, and perplexed are attached to our sexuality.

No other community has to constantly defend who they are or explain it as much as we do. It’s tiresome, it’s wrong and it perpetuates homophobia.

I’m glad Stevey Wonder has recognized that this world needs more love and less judgment. Accept people for who they are instead of trying to figure out who they are for them.

35. Lincoln Heights says

The problem is how often we as gays have our sexuality put to question.
    The problem is how often we as gays have to defend out sexuality.

36. Kevin says

I’m glad he made this new statement. It was the considerate thing to do as his earlier comment could have been very damaging, especially within the black community to which I am a part of. There’s huge significance in what Frank Ocean shared about his sexuality. It forced some black people to have a conversation they never had before, and inspired others to becoming more understanding. Stevie could have helped that train keep moving forward for our AA community by saying Frank should be applauded for his courage. What the confusion speech he gave could have really set things back, as Stevie does have influence within the black community. Comments like his previous one hurt gay black people most. Because it puts a halt on the progressive thinking train that someone like Frank Ocean created for our black community. All that being said, his new comments are the old stevie we all know and love and I’m soooo happy he said what he said in his new comments because it’s what blacks gays like me want to hear and more over what black people need to hear. Our communities are moving forward together.

37. Frank O'File says

I remember in the early 80’s, when AIDS was ravaging our community, and Stevie Wonder was one of four singers who recorded THAT’S WHAT FRIENDS ARE FOR as a show of support. That gained him a lot of credibility in my book. The man made a clumsy statement. And if you want to know how easy it is, any gay man about transgenderism, and see how long he goes before he puts his foot in his mouth. Stevie Wonder stood up for us when it mattered. He’s apologized. I think that’s enough.

38. JA says

Oh joy… yet another apology.

Why can’t people get it right the first time?

I’ll tell you why:

because they don’t understand us and often don’t appreciate us.

Tracy Morgan’s hateful words are a great example. I’m tired of being expected to accept apologies from guys like that. Sometimes the lines that are crossed just can’t be uncrossed with a few words.

39. CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON says

BRANDON K. THORP,

BECAUSE Stevie Wonder IS BLIND, DO NOT ASSUME HE IS SUPPOSED TO BE THIS “ALL-LOVING AND UNDERSTANDING PERSON.”

Mr. Wonder IS A NEGRO MALE; AND, HE REPRESENTS AND UNDERSTANDS THE VALUES OF HIS COMMUNITY.

Mr. Thorp, YOUR IMAGE OF Mr. Wonder SHOULD NOT HAVE CHANGED. YOU ARE ONLY ENTITLED TO LIKE HIS MUSIC – IF SO DESIRED. YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED TO LIKE HIS MIND.

AS A MUSICIAN, Steveland Morris [Wonder] IS A PERSONAL HERO OF MINE. I LIKE HIS ORIGINAL STATEMENT IN REFERENCE TO Frank Ocean. MANY NEGRO MALES CONSIDER Mr. Ocean TO BE AN EMBARASSMENT.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

40. CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON says

“BRAD,”

FOR YOU TO DISRESPECT Stevie Wonder PROVES YOUR PREJUDICIAL BIAS BASED ON RACE.

IF IT HAD NOT BEEN FOR THE EFFORTS OF Mr. Wonder, THERE WOULD BE NO NATIONAL HOLIDAY FOR, Martin Luther King, Jr.

“BRAD,” THINK ABOUT THAT THE NEXT TIME “gays” MAKE COMPARISONS WITH THE NEGRO-CIVIL-RIGHTS-MOVEMENT.

CAUCASIAN HOMOSEXUALS ONLY CARE ABOUT THEMSELVES.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

41. CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON says

“CINESNATCH,”

YOU ARE THE “Stupid sh*t!” HOW DARE YOU SAY Mr. WONDER’S COMMENTS ARE “OUT OF LINE” – LIKE, YOU KNOW HIM PERSONALLY. THEN YOU TRY TO TAKE IT BACK BY WANTING TO FOCUS ON HIS LATER COMMENT. YOU HYPOCRITICAL FOOL!

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

42. CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON says

“CINESNATCH,”

YOUR AND OTHER CAUCASIANS BELIEF THAT WHEN A NEGRO SAYS SOMETHING YOU DO NOT LIKE MEANS HE MUST BE UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF DRUGS PROVES THE TYPE OF PEOPLE Y’ALL ARE. Y’ALL SAID THE SAME THING ABOUT ANOTHER NEGRO ICON – Jimmie Walker.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

43. CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON says

“Fu#k you,” “ICEBLOO!”

I DO NOT KNOW WHERE CAUCASIAN HOMOSEXUALS GOT THE IDEA THAT THEY ARE THE PRIMARY FINANCIAL SUPPORTERS OF ENTERTAINERS. THE TRUTH IS, CAUCASIAN HOMOSEXUALS LOVE NEGRO MUSIC AND CULTURE. WE ALREADY KNOW CAUCASIAN MALE HOMOSEXUALS LOVE UNCUT NEGRO PETER AND NUTS!

IN REFERENCE TO Mr. Wonder’s AGE, “ICEBLOO,” THINK ABOUT Mr. Wonder’s UNCUT NEGRO PETER. YOU HAVE A SMALL CUT ONE.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

44. CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON says

“GREGO,”

I AM A REAL UNCLE TOM. DO NOT TRY TO ACT “black” BY USING THE WORD, “Brother.” I UNDERSTAND YOUR “SLICK” TACTIC. YOU ARE TRYING TO SHOW SOME NEGRO HOMOSEXUALS DID NOT LIKE Mr. Wonder’s ORIGINAL COMMENT.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

45. Tom says

Nope doesn’t settle it. But we have to stop expecting these famous people to be as evolved as we wish them to be. Just because he’s a musical genius, doesn’t mean he’s smart about anything else. But it sure would be nice if he was.

46. CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON says

Stevie Wonder ONLY MADE THE SECOND STATEMENT OUT OF COURTESY. Mr. Wonder STANDS BY THE ORIGINAL STATEMENT – I GUARANTEE. HIS NEGRO SUPPORTERS – HETEROSEXUAL AND HOMOSEXUAL – HAVE NEVER WAIVERED IN OUR LOVE FOR HIM.

IT IS FUNNY CAUCASIAN Towleroaders CAN EASILY CALL AVERAGE NEGRO MALES HOMOPHOBIC, BUT, Y’ALL ARE HAVING A HARD TIME DISLIKING Mr. Wonder. Mr. Wonder IS A NEGRO MALE, TOO.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

47. CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON says

“KEVIN,”

SINCE YOU SAY YOU ARE, “black,” YOUR ADMIRATION OF Frank Ocean IS FINE. BUT, DO NOT FORGET THE VALUES OF THE OVERALL NEGRO COMMUNITY, WHICH Mr. Wonder REPRESENTS.

I AM QUITE SURE, “KEVIN,” YOU HAVE NEGROES IN YOUR FAMILY WHO DISAPPROVE OF HOMOSEXUALITY.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

48. CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON says

“FRANK O’FILE,”

DO NOT BE CONFUSED ABOUT THE ROLE OF Stevie Wonder, Gladys Knight AND Dionne Warwick IN REFERENCE TO THE SONG, “That’s What Friends Are For.” THEY PARTICIPATED TO HIGHLIGHT THE PLIGHT OF HIV/AIDS IN AFRICA.

Elton John REPRESENTED CAUCASIAN HOMOSEXUALS’ PLIGHT WITH THE DISEASE.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

49. Frank O'File says

To CAH:

Those of us who were alive at the time know that the African HIV/AIDS crisis was barely on the radar at that time. I am not by any means downplaying the situation in Africa, but in the early 80s the disease and its impact on gay men was being ignored here in the US, and Wonder deserves credit that you can’t take away in faulty retrospect.

50. Leon says

Had a gay artist like Adam Lambert or Rickt Martin got asked about any black artist and they went on an irrelvant rant about some black people, every single poster here would call for their balls with torches, all while making comments about how racist the gay community is! So dont even play! We’ve seen the double standard here for ages.

51. Ray says

There may be some truth in what Stevie Wonder said, in all honesty. You are not permitted any view that is not 100% pro-homosexual of course, or that is labelled “homophobic”.
    It appears that many homosexuals have lacked the love of the same sex parent. There is a powerful theory that the need for this love leads on into homosexuality in many homosexuals. A sort of need fullfillment that leads them on into something else.

52. Steve J says

Thats the homophobic society we live in today. People feel ENTITLED to homophobia, and will defend homophobic statements till the death. And I’m not talking about Stevie. I’m talking about those who agreed with his original comments. They have bigotry in them and want their anti gay view validated and resent the gay community making rebuttals.

53. says

Let’s be honest with ourselves: the sligtest bit of ‘racism’ posted on here gets people having a national out cry, but gay people can’t respond to overt slant on homosexuals cant be called out? Check your own homophobia before lecturing the gay community.

54. Virgo says

Lets finally be honest with ourselves, when a white man makes homophobic statements, people on here freak out like no other and collectively hate on them. But if you observe, a black man and not just stevie but others, can make horribly offensive statements about gays but because its politically incorrect to call out black people on homophobia, they get a pass. Always happens time and time again.

55. CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON says

“FRANK O’FILE,”

YOU ARE CONFUSED. DURING THE 1980s NEGROES WERE AWARE OF HIV/AIDS IN AFRICA. DURING THAT TIME, NEGROES DID NOT CARE ABOUT AIDS ELSEWHERE BECAUSE IT WAS VIEWED AS A “gay white man’s disease.” DO NOT ASSUME YOU KNOW WHAT NEGROES CARE ABOUT.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

56. Kyle says

I agree with Scott Johansen. Please lets ignore the people who come here hoping to create friction amongst us. And lets just celebrate that Stevie Wonder GETS IT now and celebrates love- gay or straight

57. CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON says

“SCOTT JOHANSEN,”

YOUR COMMENTS TO YOUR COMRADES ARE FINE. BUT, ALL OF YOU ARE FOOLS IF YOU BELIEVE Stevie Wonder IS ON Y-O-U-R SIDE.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

58. Mary says

I can’t believe it. No, not that Stevie apologized. He’s a decent guy and this is what I expected him to do. It’s Little Kiwi. Where is his post accusing Stevie of lacking testicles? This really would be the only criticism he could make since Stevie already has a URL/website and numerous videos on Youtube and so can’t be challenged to prove his identity through the internet.

59. Lance says

What would you even know, Mary. This is a non-apology apology where the culprit attempts to blame the people who were offended (“you have misunderstood my comments”).

Kim and Cinesnatch, you are disgusting for bringing in pedophilia and rape into all of this just to protect Stevie Wonder. What if I were asked about a specific black person and their race and then proceeded to go on a tangent about how some black people are delinquents? What would happen then? Would you protect me and my comments by saying how it’s a deep analysis on racism in the United States and how a lot of racial minorities endure persecution and are isolated into specific neighborhoods and forced into lives of crime? No, you wouldn’t.

So shut up.

60. says

WOW…Too bad Stevie Wonder doesn’t need to worry about the concert venues being sold out! HIS FAN BASE IS LOCKED SOLID!!!!

Regardless of what this man has done a lot for many people including gays. Y’all queens go off over anything these days espcially when People of color say anything. As if you care about them. We’ve already seen comments from the past regarding that!

And by far Gays are the most Hypocritical folks there are!

61. andrew says

Little Kiwi even has a comment on this, but no comment on the Muslim atrocities against that little Christian girl in Pakistan. Lets call him No Balls Kiwi!!

62. dcinsider says

Never really liked the guy and still don’t. Apology was an “I’m sorry you were offended” apology not “I’m sorry I’m an idiot” apology. The latter was the correct apology, the former is crap.