Frank Ocean | Music

BigGayDeal.com

Stevie Wonder Apologizes For Comments On Frank Ocean

StevieStevie Wonder has apologized for the rather disappointing quote he gave The Guardian about the coming-out of singer Frank Ocean. When asked earlier this week about Frank Ocean, Wonder said:

I think honestly, some people who think they're gay, they're confused. People can misconstrue closeness for love. People can feel connected, they bond. I'm not saying all [gay people are confused]. Some people have a desire to be with the same sex. But that's them.

Sure -- some people do get confused about sexualty. (I did. My first love was a girl.) But for an honest-to-goodness American national treasure to respond in such a way to the first-time-in-history coming out of a hip-hop/R&B star was dispiriting, and suggested that maybe Mr. Wonder wasn't entirely comfortable with Frank Ocean's gayness.

Mr. Wonder has tried to clear things up with a statement to The Advocate:

I’m sorry that my words about anyone feeling confused about their love were misunderstood. No one has been a greater advocate for the power of love in this world than I; both in my life and in my music. Clearly, love is love, between a man and a woman, a woman and a man, a woman and a woman and a man and a man. What I’m not confused about is the world needing much more love, no hate, no prejudice, no bigotry and more unity, peace and understanding. Period.

Does that settle it?

Comments

1. Lets finally be honest with ourselves, when a white man makes homophobic statements, people on here freak out like no other and collectively hate on them. But if you observe, a black man and not just stevie but others, can make horribly offensive statements about gays but because its politically incorrect to call out black people on homophobia, they get a pass. Always happens time and time again.

Posted by: Virgo | Sep 2, 2012 11:42:46 AM

2. "FRANK O'FILE,"

YOU ARE CONFUSED. DURING THE 1980s NEGROES WERE AWARE OF HIV/AIDS IN AFRICA. DURING THAT TIME, NEGROES DID NOT CARE ABOUT AIDS ELSEWHERE BECAUSE IT WAS VIEWED AS A "gay white man's disease." DO NOT ASSUME YOU KNOW WHAT NEGROES CARE ABOUT.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Sep 2, 2012 11:45:59 AM

3. "FRANK O'FILE"

IN 2012, IF EVERY "white gay man" IN THE WORLD DIED OF AIDS, MOST NEGROES WOULD LAUGH.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Sep 2, 2012 11:49:29 AM

4. Guys PLEASE ignore Christopher Allen Horton and other race baiters trying to fan the flames here. Theres trolls who post on here strictly hoping to create drama and division between us. Please don't feed them.

Posted by: Scott Johansen | Sep 2, 2012 11:53:57 AM

5. I agree with Scott Johansen. Please lets ignore the people who come here hoping to create friction amongst us. And lets just celebrate that Stevie Wonder GETS IT now and celebrates love- gay or straight

Posted by: Kyle | Sep 2, 2012 11:55:57 AM

6. "SCOTT JOHANSEN,"

YOUR COMMENTS TO YOUR COMRADES ARE FINE. BUT, ALL OF YOU ARE FOOLS IF YOU BELIEVE Stevie Wonder IS ON Y-O-U-R SIDE.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Sep 2, 2012 12:04:26 PM

7. @CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

You are full of sh*t.
    Take your caps lock key and crawl back under your stone.

Posted by: Peter M. | Sep 2, 2012 1:54:41 PM

8. @CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

You are full of sh*t.
    Take your caps lock key and crawl back under your stone.

Posted by: Peter M. | Sep 2, 2012 1:54:42 PM

9. I can't believe it. No, not that Stevie apologized. He's a decent guy and this is what I expected him to do. It's Little Kiwi. Where is his post accusing Stevie of lacking testicles? This really would be the only criticism he could make since Stevie already has a URL/website and numerous videos on Youtube and so can't be challenged to prove his identity through the internet.

Posted by: Mary | Sep 2, 2012 8:41:44 PM

10. You are one silly bigoted fool, Ray.

Take your pathology elsewhere.

Posted by: Lance | Sep 3, 2012 3:48:18 PM

11. What would you even know, Mary. This is a non-apology apology where the culprit attempts to blame the people who were offended ("you have misunderstood my comments").

Kim and Cinesnatch, you are disgusting for bringing in pedophilia and rape into all of this just to protect Stevie Wonder. What if I were asked about a specific black person and their race and then proceeded to go on a tangent about how some black people are delinquents? What would happen then? Would you protect me and my comments by saying how it's a deep analysis on racism in the United States and how a lot of racial minorities endure persecution and are isolated into specific neighborhoods and forced into lives of crime? No, you wouldn't.

So shut up.

Posted by: Lance | Sep 3, 2012 4:11:59 PM

12. WOW...Too bad Stevie Wonder doesn't need to worry about the concert venues being sold out! HIS FAN BASE IS LOCKED SOLID!!!!

Regardless of what this man has done a lot for many people including gays. Y'all queens go off over anything these days espcially when People of color say anything. As if you care about them. We've already seen comments from the past regarding that!

And by far Gays are the most Hypocritical folks there are!

Posted by: CHRIS DACHOCOLATEBEARCUB | Sep 4, 2012 1:07:09 AM

13. Little Kiwi even has a comment on this, but no comment on the Muslim atrocities against that little Christian girl in Pakistan. Lets call him No Balls Kiwi!!

Posted by: andrew | Sep 4, 2012 1:58:55 AM

14. Never really liked the guy and still don't. Apology was an "I'm sorry you were offended" apology not "I'm sorry I'm an idiot" apology. The latter was the correct apology, the former is crap.

Posted by: dcinsider | Sep 4, 2012 10:26:09 AM

15. Please learn what an apology is before accusing Stevie Wonder of making one.

Posted by: Lauren | Sep 4, 2012 11:18:07 PM