2012 Election | Gay Marriage | Julian Bond | Maryland | News

NAACP's Julian Bond Records Radio Ad in Support of Marriage Equality in Maryland: LISTEN

Bond

Julian Bond, chairman emeritus of the national NAACP, has recorded a radio ad in support of Question 6, the ballot measure which would put Maryland's marriage equality law into effect.

Says Bond in the ad, airing in the Washington and Baltimore markets:

"I know a little something about fighting for what’s right and just. Maryland's gay and lesbian families share the same values. And they should share in the right to marry. I believe people of faith understand this isn’t about any one religious belief – it’s about protecting the civil right to make a lifelong commitment to the person you love."

Listen to the ad, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. A wonderful statement by a wonderful peraon. I love the way he defuses the religionists' claim that they are supporint their faith. Well done

Posted by: Rob | Oct 9, 2012 1:17:24 PM

2. Hear, hear, Julian Bond. That's what I call standing up for our civil rights. After all, when one group is disciminated against, it easy to discriminate against other groups. Mr. Bond understands this as do so many others in the NAACP and elsewhere. Thank you for your support!

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Oct 9, 2012 1:21:10 PM

3. I love Julian Bond. Always the master of civility and an admirable man.

Posted by: Jonathan | Oct 9, 2012 1:32:11 PM

4. It's a nice statement. Unfortunately it is likely to fall on deaf ears when it comes to most black voters in Maryland. But I guess we will see.

Posted by: Rick | Oct 9, 2012 1:33:53 PM

5. I watched an interview with him on a sunday morning show a few weeks ago and was absolutely impressed. He is a class act all the way.

Posted by: Geoff M | Oct 9, 2012 1:59:27 PM

6. Everyone ignore Rick's race baiting. Don't feed the troll and it will starve and then die.

Posted by: MateoM | Oct 9, 2012 2:05:59 PM

7. "It's a nice statement. Unfortunately it is likely to fall on deaf ears when it comes to most black voters in Maryland. But I guess we will see."

Yes, and messages calling for equality appear to have fallen deaf on your ears over the last 5 decades.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 9, 2012 2:06:11 PM