Gay Marriage | News | Sam Champion

Sam Champion Talks About Engagement Announcement: VIDEO

Rubem_chapion

On this morning's Good Morning America, Sam Champion's fiancé Rubem Robierb waved from backstage as Champion was asked about the announcement late on Friday that he was engaged to be married.

“I have met the most wonderful, giving, loving, caring person. I am so, so lucky to have someone like this in my life,” Champion said.

Champion said he has been overwhelmed by the outpouring of love and support — from social media to the streets of New York City. Robierb stood alongside off-camera at the “GMA” studio today as Champion talked about their happy news.

“I felt like we lived in a small town… I was born in Paducah, Kentucky, and to me that’s exactly what it felt like. We walked out on the street and everyone was like, ‘Hey, congratulations,’” Champion said. “Thank you for the tweets, and the Facebook and just coming up on the street and saying the most wonderful things.”

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Great to see the winds of change taking place in the US. To be able to speak openly on a major network about same sex marriage like any other heterosexual couples. US might be lagging behind Western countries, but it's important as a nation to be on the same page to end the discrimination. Many part of the world still see US as the leader. Resolving this human right issue will impact some other nations as well.

Posted by: bambinoitaliano | Oct 8, 2012 2:56:05 PM

2. It was great to see Ben Aflick make an off the wall comment this morning wishing Sam the best for his upcoming wedding. He was so comfortable speaking about it. Maybe some day everyone will be at ease.

Posted by: Tim | Oct 8, 2012 3:10:45 PM

3. Seriously, that was pretty cool. There was no ackwardness - just a bunch of colleagues happy for their friend. The fact that ABC put it out right there on the show, no hiding it behind the scenes, it awesome.

Posted by: KT | Oct 8, 2012 3:16:51 PM

4. Ben Affleck has worked with openly gay people all his life -- from Gus Van Sant ("Good Will Hunting") to Victor Garber (who plays a key role in "Argo" and gave Jennifer Garner away when Ben married her.)

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Oct 8, 2012 4:19:26 PM

5. Think Sam's the bottom?

Posted by: mike | Oct 8, 2012 5:00:12 PM

6. It was amazing, wasn't it? This is the way life is supposed to be. I so enjoy the GMA show so much more than the Today show because the cast is really like family. There was no embarrassment or cautioned reluctance, just full warmth and happiness for their friend and colleague. I do hope they have a big beautiful fun filled wedding and hope that GMA gives it plenty of coverage.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Oct 8, 2012 5:08:40 PM

7. The cosmetic work on Sam's face is starting to get a little scary.

Posted by: keating | Oct 8, 2012 5:19:09 PM

8. I always found Sam C. so good looking but I have always fallen for tall, blond men. Lucky Rubem!

Posted by: Chris in Irvine | Oct 8, 2012 6:03:28 PM

9. @MIKE

typical Towleroad troll

Posted by: qjersey201@gmail.com | Oct 8, 2012 6:05:34 PM

10. and just like that, some peoples worlds just got rocked...

some grandmother in the midwest who always thought Sam was good looking and aught to settle down has her eyes opened a little wider today.
    Sam just put a face on marriage equality for some people who havent known an engaged gay man.

Thanks ABC. Thanks Sam.

Posted by: andrew | Oct 8, 2012 7:28:09 PM

11. Gay-M-A has always been my favorite morning show. And I have always loved Sam. May he and his partner have a long and happy life together!

Posted by: Lord Gaga | Oct 9, 2012 1:01:14 AM

12. AWESOMELY normal. Mazel Tov!

Posted by: JCF | Oct 9, 2012 3:58:13 AM