Chick-fil-A | News

Chick-fil-A Says They Didn't Mean Gays When They Said 'Fruitcake'

Chickfila

Chick-fil-A comments on a sale coupon first posted on Towleroad last week.

"This is an advertisement that a locally owned and operated restaurant has been using for the past five years to promote Chick-fil-A's catering options during the holidays," Steve Robinson, the company's executive vice president and chief marketing officer said in a statement to The Advocate Tuesday afternoon. "It was simply a play on words referring to the traditional holiday food, and the restaurant had no intention of offending anyone whatsoever. We regret the flyer may haven been taken out of context."

Comments

1. Well, gosh, I believe them. It's not like the company has a history of homophobic activities or anything.

Posted by: peter | Oct 16, 2012 7:01:10 PM

2. WELL, I MUST SAY IF IT HADN'T BEEN FOR THE BIG BROUHAHA THAT STARTED ALL THIS CHIK FIL A VERSUS THE QUEENS OF AMERICA I NEVER HAD HEARD OF THEM. DON'T GET OUT MUCH THESE DAYS I SUPPOSE, NOT WITH THE SERVANT PROBLEM BEING THE WAY IT IS YOU KNOW. ANYWAY, I'VE BEEN TO THE CHIK SEVERAL TIMES NOW AND DO MARVEL AT THEIR CLEANLINESS, EFFICIENCY, AND COURTESY TO ALL WHO WALK WITHIN ITS DOORS AND THE SANDWICHES ARE GOOD, THE SIDES, AND THOSE YUMMY MINI DESERTS SO I CERTAINLY HAVE NO QUARREL WITH THEM. GOD BLESS YOU ALL MY DARLINGS. LIVE AND LET LIVE IS MY MOTTO.

Posted by: THE QUEEN | Oct 16, 2012 7:20:05 PM

3. I'm sure a bunch of knuckleheads thought it was hilarious, especially since they're such dimwits, no one could ever accuse them of being 'that' clever.

Whatever, dudes. All the press releases in the world couldn't get me to ever walk through your doors. Enjoy it, you're forever linked to bigotry & it's only going to get worse as time moves on.

Posted by: Pete N SFO | Oct 16, 2012 7:26:09 PM

4. There is a confection know as a fruitcake, but the context of the flyer can be interpreted only one way -- as an insult to the GLBT community. Sorry -- I speak English and do not buy and claim of out-of-contect understanding. Given the context this is definitely an insult and can have been meant in no other way. FAIL!

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Oct 16, 2012 7:39:50 PM

5. I thought "fruitcake" was an unkind name for a mentally ill person and "fruit" was an unkind name for a gay person. I didn't know they overlapped.

Posted by: Prof Sancho Panza | Oct 16, 2012 8:02:05 PM

6. My family always used it as a euphemism for "homosexual" or "queer". They also liked "fruit loop" and "light in his loafers".

They all sound outdated to me now, thanks to the more direct "homo", "f*g", and "f*ggot" that we all know too well.

I don't think the writers of the ad had anything else in mind when they put this together. The beauty of a euphemism is you can always claim innocence. But we know better.

Posted by: Sean in Dallas | Oct 16, 2012 8:15:02 PM

7. That oh so traditional October holiday fruitcake.

Posted by: littlewoot | Oct 16, 2012 8:43:02 PM

8. This is hilarious.

Posted by: Marius | Oct 16, 2012 8:50:41 PM

9. I've only ever known fruitcake to mean crazy person. As in "nutty as a ______." Here's a helpful guide:

Marcus Bachmann --> fruit
    Michele Bachmann --> fruitcake

Posted by: JJ | Oct 16, 2012 10:48:56 PM

10. @JJ, best laugh I've had today. Thanks!

Posted by: Abel | Oct 16, 2012 11:01:18 PM

11. I hate to say it, but I believe Hate-Fil-A on this one.

Posted by: chris | Oct 16, 2012 11:47:10 PM

12. I actually believe their explanation. The sad part is that if the company had a little more diversity among its employees, they might have caught the double meaning of the term and realized they should change their coupon text this year considering recent events.

Posted by: Tim NC | Oct 17, 2012 12:50:10 AM

13. I have heard many people refer to crazy people as fruitcakes. That is what it usually means, crazy.

Posted by: Javier | Oct 17, 2012 12:55:15 AM

14. I've no doubt they're telling the truth about the fruitcake. Just one more corporation trying to stretch Christmas all the way from December to the following November. Points out the hypocrisy of their claimed "biblical" viewpoint vs. their actual behavior. But there's no "gay story" here.

Posted by: Rawn | Oct 17, 2012 1:57:18 AM

15. Thanks you for another essential article. Where else could anyone get that kind of information in such a complete way of writing ? I have a presentation incoming week, and I am on the lookout for such information.

Posted by: Giants Jason Pierre-Paul Jersey | Oct 17, 2012 3:07:18 AM

16. Thank you a million and please carry on publishing such well written articles.

Posted by: Eagles DeSean Jackson Jersey | Oct 17, 2012 3:11:25 AM

17. I can't believe how these people have hijacked this page!, I was only here for the great read and was surprised to see a mass of comments.

Posted by: Packers Donald Driver Jersey | Oct 17, 2012 3:17:51 AM

18. This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for sharing this great article! I am always searching for informative information like this!

Posted by: Packers Greg Jennings Jersey | Oct 17, 2012 3:18:46 AM

19. I believe it was an error, but here's the issue. re:

'We regret the flyer may haven been taken out of context."

The flyer was WRITTEN out of context.

Chick Fil A's marketing does not yet realize that everything the firm does now HAS a context: Chik Fil A's disparagement of gay people.

Posted by: Strepsi | Oct 17, 2012 3:19:11 AM

20. Who cares what they say and what they mean! Gimme a break!

Posted by: Markus | Oct 17, 2012 4:01:15 AM

21. knowing Chick Fila A's repretation of being homophobis in nature, To Me, this add does indeed refer to the LGBT community as I always heard the terms fairy or fruitcake when referring to a LGBT person. I my self am a M2F transgendered Person so I took it as being offensive. Besides, I would rather have a good hamburger from either Burger King or McDonalds than a chicken sandwitch.

Posted by: Barbara M Davidson | Oct 17, 2012 7:34:05 AM

22. I honestly cannot be offended at this, it is too ambiguous. What I am offended at is their blatant stance against me and my life as a tax paying and productive citizen. I really do not need to look for proof of homophobia anywhere when they have just told me how they feel already.

Posted by: J. Page | Oct 17, 2012 8:47:01 AM

23. This ad offends me much more as an advertising copywriter than a gay man. That's some terrible writing and design.

But J. Page hit the nail on the head. Who cares if this is or isn't another example of Chick-Fil-A's bigotry? A bigot's a bigot whether he screams it 100 times or 101.

Posted by: Rex Mundi | Oct 17, 2012 10:02:44 AM

24. riiiiiiiiiight...

Posted by: Johnny | Oct 17, 2012 12:05:23 PM

25. We all know homosxalty is a mental disorder so fruitcake is an understatement.planet earth 1man1woman.together we rule naturally!

Posted by: neel thomp | Oct 19, 2012 1:14:54 PM