Chick-fil-A Says They Didn’t Mean Gays When They Said ‘Fruitcake’

Chickfila

Chick-fil-A comments on a sale coupon first posted on Towleroad last week.

"This is an advertisement that a locally owned and operated restaurant has been using for the past five years to promote Chick-fil-A's catering options during the holidays," Steve Robinson, the company's executive vice president and chief marketing officer said in a statement to The Advocate Tuesday afternoon. "It was simply a play on words referring to the traditional holiday food, and the restaurant had no intention of offending anyone whatsoever. We regret the flyer may haven been taken out of context."

Comments

1. THE QUEEN says

WELL, I MUST SAY IF IT HADN’T BEEN FOR THE BIG BROUHAHA THAT STARTED ALL THIS CHIK FIL A VERSUS THE QUEENS OF AMERICA I NEVER HAD HEARD OF THEM. DON’T GET OUT MUCH THESE DAYS I SUPPOSE, NOT WITH THE SERVANT PROBLEM BEING THE WAY IT IS YOU KNOW. ANYWAY, I’VE BEEN TO THE CHIK SEVERAL TIMES NOW AND DO MARVEL AT THEIR CLEANLINESS, EFFICIENCY, AND COURTESY TO ALL WHO WALK WITHIN ITS DOORS AND THE SANDWICHES ARE GOOD, THE SIDES, AND THOSE YUMMY MINI DESERTS SO I CERTAINLY HAVE NO QUARREL WITH THEM. GOD BLESS YOU ALL MY DARLINGS. LIVE AND LET LIVE IS MY MOTTO.

2. Pete N SFO says

I’m sure a bunch of knuckleheads thought it was hilarious, especially since they’re such dimwits, no one could ever accuse them of being ‘that’ clever.

Whatever, dudes. All the press releases in the world couldn’t get me to ever walk through your doors. Enjoy it, you’re forever linked to bigotry & it’s only going to get worse as time moves on.

3. Alex Parrish says

There is a confection know as a fruitcake, but the context of the flyer can be interpreted only one way — as an insult to the GLBT community. Sorry — I speak English and do not buy and claim of out-of-contect understanding. Given the context this is definitely an insult and can have been meant in no other way. FAIL!

4. Prof Sancho Panza says

I thought “fruitcake” was an unkind name for a mentally ill person and “fruit” was an unkind name for a gay person. I didn’t know they overlapped.

5. Sean in Dallas says

My family always used it as a euphemism for “homosexual” or “queer”. They also liked “fruit loop” and “light in his loafers”.

They all sound outdated to me now, thanks to the more direct “homo”, “f*g”, and “f*ggot” that we all know too well.

I don’t think the writers of the ad had anything else in mind when they put this together. The beauty of a euphemism is you can always claim innocence. But we know better.

6. JJ says

I’ve only ever known fruitcake to mean crazy person. As in “nutty as a ______.” Here’s a helpful guide:

Marcus Bachmann –> fruit
    Michele Bachmann –> fruitcake

7. Tim NC says

I actually believe their explanation. The sad part is that if the company had a little more diversity among its employees, they might have caught the double meaning of the term and realized they should change their coupon text this year considering recent events.

8. Rawn says

I’ve no doubt they’re telling the truth about the fruitcake. Just one more corporation trying to stretch Christmas all the way from December to the following November. Points out the hypocrisy of their claimed “biblical” viewpoint vs. their actual behavior. But there’s no “gay story” here.

9. Strepsi says

I believe it was an error, but here’s the issue. re:

‘We regret the flyer may haven been taken out of context.”

The flyer was WRITTEN out of context.

Chick Fil A’s marketing does not yet realize that everything the firm does now HAS a context: Chik Fil A’s disparagement of gay people.

10. Barbara M Davidson says

knowing Chick Fila A’s repretation of being homophobis in nature, To Me, this add does indeed refer to the LGBT community as I always heard the terms fairy or fruitcake when referring to a LGBT person. I my self am a M2F transgendered Person so I took it as being offensive. Besides, I would rather have a good hamburger from either Burger King or McDonalds than a chicken sandwitch.

11. J. Page says

I honestly cannot be offended at this, it is too ambiguous. What I am offended at is their blatant stance against me and my life as a tax paying and productive citizen. I really do not need to look for proof of homophobia anywhere when they have just told me how they feel already.

12. Rex Mundi says

This ad offends me much more as an advertising copywriter than a gay man. That’s some terrible writing and design.

But J. Page hit the nail on the head. Who cares if this is or isn’t another example of Chick-Fil-A’s bigotry? A bigot’s a bigot whether he screams it 100 times or 101.

13. says

I sincerely can’t be irritated at this, it is too questionable. What I am annoyed at is their unmitigated stance against me and my existence as a charge paying and beneficial subject. I truly don’t have to search for verification of homophobia anyplace when they have barely let me know how they feel.