2012 Election | Mitt Romney | News

BigGayDeal.com

Big Bird-Loving Child To Romney: 'You Find Something Else To Cut Off'

Romneyletter

This letter, purportedly written by 8-year old Alabaman Cecilia Crawford, may be the most adorable reaction to Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney's  vow to cut federal subsidies for PBS, a conservative move that would endanger Big Bird, his pals on Sesame Street and the rest of the public broadcasting gang.

Crawford writes, "When I grow up, I'm going to get married and I want my kids to watch [Sesame Street] so do not cut it off. You find something else to cut off."

"They need Sesame Street where they can learn from it," says Crawford, clearly worried about the stability of public education here in the States. "Save Big Bird and his friends."

I've included a larger pop-out version of Crawford's letter AFTER THE JUMP.

Original

Comments

1. Adorable. Based on a lie. All of the federal money for PBS amounts to about 15% TOTAL of their budget. That's all. Truth is if they stopped sponsorships and ran ads they could have whatever money they wanted for PBS.

It would be good for PBS to have to find real money anyway. Also, PBS says that they would take the money from the small stations and let them die instead of absorbing the 15%. Big PBS high paid execs got to eat you know. cant cut their salaries 15%.

Posted by: ted baldwin | Oct 4, 2012 8:05:21 PM

2. Deag gay ambassador, raped and murdered, and your concern is not that Obama lied to us about it, but that some adorable kid might not get to watch educational TV because an evil republican wants to save the country??

Posted by: ted baldwin | Oct 4, 2012 8:06:57 PM

3. I LEARNED MORE FROM THAT CUTE TELETUBBY WITH THE PURSE.

Posted by: THE QUEEN | Oct 4, 2012 8:14:55 PM

4. @TED:

"Barney brought in 2 billion a year in merchandizing. And PBS got none of that money - it was kept by the producers and their pals at PBS who were in on it."

Please provide proof of these allegations. 2 Billion a year? Hardly.

Save the country? You mean the country the Republicans didn't give a rat's ass about the past 4 years because they said they wanted the Prez to fail. Give me a break. Typical GOP, run something into the ground then say "you need us to save it"! I think maybe you have been spending too much time watching the purple dinosaur.

Posted by: MATHMAJOR | Oct 4, 2012 8:45:12 PM

5. Goodnight, Ted. I see not so much lying as trying to solve a complicated problem, similar to what's happening between Turkey and Syria now. What will the right wing have to say when the drone takes out those responsible for said rape and murder? Nothing positive, I'll bet. There never is from the right wing propaganda machine.

The only reason to support unfit, full of sh*t Romney, especially as a gay man, is if you're hoping for a huge tax cut.

Posted by: David | Oct 4, 2012 8:52:56 PM

6. I'm going to steer clear of the political debate here and instead ask: does no one think this letter is a pretty obvious fake? What kid knows the the government funds public broadcasting and (sort of) Sesame Street just based on one throwaway line in a debate?? What kid makes a semi-adult joke like asking to cut something else off? Really? What 8 year old who makes a couple pretty goofy "errors" and has pretty rough penmanship but then spells "sincerely" right and consistently uses modifiers and other remarkably clear syntax? Really? I've taught 8 year old children and I'd be stunned if this letter were actually written by a real kid. At best it's coaching. UGH.

Posted by: Stefan | Oct 4, 2012 9:09:14 PM

7. Romney and his party insist that a budget deficit at a time of near zero interest is an existential crisis. When pressed on how to solve it he comes up with cutting PBS, shaving .00014% of the budget.

While demanding trillions in increases supposedly for defense - in reality naked subsidies to the weapons manufacturers.

Posted by: melvin | Oct 4, 2012 10:23:39 PM

8. That letter's not a fake.
    The letter below was written by an 8 year old, too.

DEAR EDITOR: I am 8 years old.
    "Some of my little friends say there is no Santa Claus.
    "Papa says, 'If you see it in THE SUN it's so.'
    "Please tell me the truth; is there a Santa Claus?

"VIRGINIA O'HANLON.
    "115 WEST NINETY-FIFTH STREET."

Posted by: BigGuy | Oct 4, 2012 10:56:50 PM

9. sadly this is where we are
    this kid lives in the richest country in the world
    where a billionaire freak wants to cut educational tv
    to help pay for tax cuts to his ilk and
    to increase the bloated military
    and this kid has to write a letter
    a first world country indeed

Posted by: jw | Oct 4, 2012 11:55:08 PM

10. I highly doubt that if this was written by an 8 year old that it was spoken directly from her parents. First off, what 8 year old watches presidential debates and can really comprehend what is going on. Secondly, what 8 year old has fairly bad handwriting but can form complete sentences.

Posted by: Aiden Raccoon | Oct 5, 2012 12:53:45 AM

11. @Aiden Raccoon, I watched political debates when I was 8, didn't understand all, but some. In our dinner table adults talked also about politics and if sth like this had been said, I would have heard it and it would have angered me.

Posted by: Matt26 | Oct 5, 2012 2:40:42 AM

12. Big Bird learns about death:

Posted by: shakyacres | Oct 5, 2012 6:13:46 AM

13. I don't believe this letter was written by an 8 year old. It's another in a long line of parents (usually women) using their kids to speak for them. Like Stefan says, the tells are too big that this is FAKE. Shame on the mother.

Having said that, Romney is crass and out of his mind to suggest gutting PBS. PBS may have issues with making sure all affiliates are funded, but they're still heads and shoulders above commercial television. If we let private funding rule the day at PBS -- I mean, really rule the day, not the incremental stuff happening now -- PBS would cease to exist. It would become just another Idiocracy style channel driven by profits instead of education.

To hell with Mitt Romney for daring to suggest cutting all funding from PBS.

Posted by: Zeta | Oct 5, 2012 8:18:34 AM

14. I know what Mittens can cut off....

Posted by: Jack M | Oct 5, 2012 10:01:37 AM

15. @TED: Still waiting for your proof.......

Posted by: MATHMAJOR | Oct 5, 2012 1:00:14 PM

16. @Stefan and others: I don't believe it was a fake because when I was 8, I was just as precocious. In 1978, California voters considered (and adopted) Prop 13, an initiative restricts raising property taxes until a property is sold. Although my somewhat hippie parents raised us without electricity, television, or even a newspaper subscription, I somehow had learned enough about it to hear that local revenues would decline, forcing cutbacks in services like libraries and public pools. So I wrote a letter to the initiative's writers that began, "Dear Mr. Jarvis and Mr. Gann, Why do you want to close my library and pool?" SO I do believe this letter is entirely possible.

Posted by: Kevin_BGFH | Oct 5, 2012 2:55:04 PM

17. This article is evidence enough for Ted's claims. He is right. PBS and Sesame Street will be just fine without you and I footing their bills. If you still want to pay for it, you are free to donate and that's how it should be.

Here is your proof: