Catholic Church | News | Salvatore Cordileone | San Francisco

Episcopal Bishop Who Publicly Opposed Prop 8 is Blocked from Ceremony Installing New Anti-Gay SF Archbishop

Episcopal Bishop Marc Andrus, who publicly opposed Proposition 8, was blocked yesterday from attending the ceremony installing San Francisco Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone at St. Mary's Cathedral, in San Francisco. Cordileone was deeply involved in Proposition 8's creation and passage.

AndrusWrites Andrus, of his arrival at yesterday's installation:

An archdiocesan employee attempted to escort me upstairs with the Greek Orthodox group, but was stopped from doing so by the employee to whom I had first identified myself. This person, who appeared to be in a superior role, instructed another employee to stand with me.

At this point no other guests remained in the downstairs area. The employee and I chatted while waiting. I began to wonder about the time holdup. I checked my phone; it was 1:50PM. I asked the employee standing with me if the service indeed started at 2, which she affirmed.

At 2PM, when the service was to begin, I said to the employee, "I think I understand, and feel I should leave." Her response was, "Thank you for being understanding." I quietly walked out the door. No one attempted to stop me. No attempt was ever made to explain the delay or any process for seating. I arrived early, before the time given my assistant, and waited to leave until after the service had begun.

Comments

1. Even though I was raised Catholic and am still a person of faith, I loath that they make their anti-gay politics such a priority. Marc Andrus was going there to show respect but was shown none. Brought to you by the same church that brought the crusades (which are a very real reason that the middle east hates the west), and smuggled Nazis out of Europe at the end of WWII.

Posted by: Tom in long beach | Oct 5, 2012 1:59:17 PM

2. How ugly is that? Spies and Catholo-nazi's in San Francisco. This does not bode well.

Posted by: Modern Meet | Oct 5, 2012 2:05:59 PM

3. Here's what my picket says @ yesterday's protest:

(God loves all!!)

Be
    SOBER
    physically "and" spiritually!
    Don’t be
    DRUNK
    w/ ignorance and hatred!

Posted by: Iban4yesu | Oct 5, 2012 2:06:50 PM

4. It's really beyond me, all the hosesh** associated with any religion, from their neck rings to their smug proclamations about morality and interminable dramas over what God wants. Alas, however, I have to admit I didn't always feel that way. It took a while to get comfortable with the marvels of the universe and the endless ironies of life which demand (of me) nothing more than pleasure and confidence in a Great Unfolding.

Posted by: UFFDA | Oct 5, 2012 2:07:36 PM

5. What a wonderful Christian act the SF Papist hierarchy showed the visiting Episcopal Bishop. Why I bet Christ himself would be proud of the way St. Mary's handled this situation.

God Almighty, the majority of religious leaders are the least understanding and appreciative people on earth. They deserve all the Hell fire and damnation that befalls them.

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Oct 5, 2012 2:08:05 PM

6. "My intention for attending the installation was to honor our ecumenical and interfaith relations in the Bay Area."

Sorry, +Marc, "our" evidently is one-sided and does not include Rome. Grass is green.

BTW - thanks for your support!

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Oct 5, 2012 2:10:16 PM

7. We need someone to catch Cordileone at Steamworks. I'm sure it won't be difficult.

Posted by: Tweety | Oct 5, 2012 2:11:43 PM

8. Catholics in San Francisco are not well thought of. It is just a matter of time before there will be a stronger push to have the religious fanatics and their churches removed from within the city and county of San Francisco.

I look forward to it.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Oct 5, 2012 2:16:15 PM

9. So I'm guessing the representatives of the churches that hate gays were all promptly escorted to their places of honor. Sad, really.

Posted by: CPT_Doom | Oct 5, 2012 2:17:16 PM

10. I've left the Catholic Church in NYC (which I was raised in) and joined the Episcopal. It was time. Feels very strange to become a Protestant, though, which- as any NYC Catholic knows- we were raised to consider our adversaries (in a tribal way).

Posted by: Yupp | Oct 5, 2012 2:24:06 PM

11. The Catholic Church is as bad as muslim fanatics.

Posted by: Dan | Oct 5, 2012 2:29:25 PM

12. I wouldn't go that far, Dan. They don't beat to death boys on the streets for dressing "too emo." Nor put women on trial for witchcraft (Saudi Arabia). Nor behead people on camera. I have no love for Rome, but...let's keep it real lest we lose credibility here.

Posted by: Yupp | Oct 5, 2012 2:35:45 PM

13. I suspect this Archbishop will not be popular in SFO. The city is Gay and nothing is going to change that. What a rude way to tell the Episcopal Bishop is uninvited. Please spare me from the Catholic religion and their beliefs on alternative lifestyles.

Posted by: Tim | Oct 5, 2012 2:41:14 PM

14. What I hate most about incidents like this is the utter hypocrisy of the Catholic Church. They preach "love" then exhibit hate. They preach "helping humanity" then cover up the molestation cases for years. They preach the "sanctity of marriage" then deny it to millions of people.

It's just institutionalized hate, bigotry, and greed.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Oct 5, 2012 2:49:44 PM

15. And to think that I thought my hatred for the Catholic Church couldn't possibly get any stronger.

Posted by: Mark L | Oct 5, 2012 3:11:41 PM

16. Can't you just feel the love of Jesus?

@Tom in Long Beach, would it make you feel better if they were more subtle in their anti-gay politics/policies/beliefs?

Posted by: TampaZeke | Oct 5, 2012 3:13:45 PM

17. @YUPP, only because they legally CAN'T. If they were the religious power in charge in a country that allowed them to murder infidels and gays and control women, they WOULD.

The Catholic Church, that is supposed to oppose death penalties has FULLY endorsed the Ugandan "kill the gays" bill. There is just a glimpse of what they would do if they had the power of law on their side.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Oct 5, 2012 3:17:10 PM

18. The only appropriate response is for the ECUSA and the ELCA to boycott ANY ecumenical function or dialogue with the Archdiocese until a formal apology is issued.

Posted by: Michael | Oct 5, 2012 3:21:03 PM

19. Tampazeke, are you absolutely sure about the Kill-The-Gays bill in Uganda ? I would have said you're making unfair assumptions about the Catholic Church, but...if the Uganda thing is true...

Posted by: Yupp | Oct 5, 2012 3:24:30 PM

20. @Yupp: The RC in Uganda flip-flopped in spite of Pope Benny's opposition:

I hope he goes after them the way he did American nuns for their "disobedience".

As a proud member of The Episcopal Church, I do wish the Church of Uganda would enter the 21st century and accept scientific evidence about LGBT people and not the "evidence" provided by the American Religious Right.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Oct 5, 2012 4:19:16 PM

21. @Michael: You're behind the times: ECUSA is now TEC.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Oct 5, 2012 4:25:53 PM

22. On top of everything else that is wrong with this, they clearly did it the way they did so that if there was any backlash, they could simply say that the Bishop chose to leave on his own, and was neither blocked from attending nor thrown out.

The fact that everyone involved, including the "employee" knew exactly what was going on and why only underscores it.

Reminds me of the way I was pitched out of the church when I came out.

Posted by: Lymis | Oct 5, 2012 4:30:15 PM

23. using more female spokespeople to block gay rights...a coincidence??...

Posted by: Alan Brickman | Oct 5, 2012 4:49:00 PM

24. The Catholic church is an organization with a history steeped in hatred, intolerance, bigotry and aiding and abetting known mass murderers and war criminals. I won't even touch on the crimes of theft, economic mis and malfeasance or cover-ups of criminal activities and sexual attacks involving children.

Remember, this is a church that signed and maintained a concordance with Hitler and the Nazi government, all the while knowing of the war crimes being committed against not just Jews and homosexuals, but all people in Europe. They not only did not act as a moral religious organization and oppose these crimes, they did not even speak out privately about the crimes they knew were being committed.

After the war the Catholic church, by direction of the Pope, maintained an office in the Vatican headed by a Cardinal, a "prince" of the church to assist mass murderers, SS and Gestapo officers and officials along with death camp guards by providing false identity papers, travel documents and cash assistance to avoid arrest and escape Europe for destinations where the Catholic church further assisted in their hiding and survival.

Tampazeke is correct, they don't do much of what they condone and would like to do because at least for now, in America and other civilized countries they can't. But I assure you they finance and assist in other ways the commission of great crimes against society. This "church" is the oldest and most successful criminal organization on the planet. The litany of their crimes and actions that have held back science and civilization are legion. Those that subsidize this organization should be ridiculed and condemned for their participation and enabling of this organization's crimes against humanity.

Posted by: Bob R | Oct 5, 2012 5:21:16 PM

25. Diogenes : Thanks. I get it. And I don't think anything in dysfunctional Uganda (religious or non-religious) can be used to judge anything. But, YES, Pope Bennie should have come down on them much harder. (No disrespect to TampaZeke though). And I still don't feel accurate comparing the Catholic Church to Muslim fanatics. Nor any other Christian sect, at least not in modern times.

Posted by: Yupp | Oct 5, 2012 5:27:07 PM