Advertising | Gay Marriage | News

BigGayDeal.com

Expedia Documents Reluctant Dad's Journey to Accepting His Gay Daughter in Powerful New Campaign: VIDEO

Expedia

Check out this amazing new spot from travel company Expedia, which as you may recall recently publicly backed marriage equality in Washington.

Their new campaign is called "Find Your Understanding" and includes this stunning and emotional spot documenting a father's journey both literally, and figuratively, to accepting his lesbian daughter as he travels to her wedding. The campaign documents real travelers whose journeys contain personal revelations.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

ArtieWrites Expedia:

In this case, the journey was undertaken by Artie Goldstein, a retired business owner and father to Jill Sloane Goldstein. Nikki Weiss, Jill's girlfriend, "startled" Nikki's father one afternoon when she asked for permission to marry his daughter. Artie had a dream for his daughter that included a traditional marriage and grandkids. The central premise of his story is the realization that he had to choose whether or not he would maintain a relationship with his daughter.

The video incorporates real footage as Artie ponders that question and travels to Jill and Nikki's wedding in Malibu.

Nikki is an agent and producer in the feature film and advertising commercial industry. Jill is a seasoned advertising executive turned writer/producer. She also pens a fitness column in Curve Magazine. Together, they have written and co-produced two television pilots and a documentary feature. Artie lives with his wife Judy, his high school sweetheart, in Georgia, where he is a retired business owner.

Nikki and Jill had first met as young girls at overnight camp. Twenty-five years later, the two reunited on the camp's website, and rekindled the connection they knew as childhood friends. That friendship blossomed into attraction and became the foundation of a loving adult partnership.

Comments

1. Weren't they on the Real L Word as well?

Posted by: P.J. | Oct 3, 2012 11:55:20 AM

2. Yes, Jill and Nikki were regulars on the first season of the Real L Word in 2010.

Posted by: Ken | Oct 3, 2012 11:58:12 AM

3. Wrong choice to watch this at work. Now I am a blubbering mess. Sweet and touching.

Posted by: Sean | Oct 3, 2012 12:00:09 PM

4. Just lovely. I'm so glad I am a loyal Expedia customer and have been for years.

Posted by: Dev | Oct 3, 2012 12:02:14 PM

5. No comment from Jason yet? I expected to scroll down to the comments to find him ranting about how this was a cop-out because its two women, and two women are more socially acceptable than two men, why didn't Expedia choose men?, etc. So there you go, Jason-- I saved you the trouble.

Anyway, I thought this was a great piece. I'd love to see more in this series.

Posted by: Ryan | Oct 3, 2012 12:14:16 PM

6. That was amazingly beautiful and incredible to watch. Expedia deserves kudos. Bravo.

Posted by: SFshawn | Oct 3, 2012 12:19:08 PM

7. That was perfect.

Posted by: TDSE | Oct 3, 2012 12:21:22 PM

8. Very moving. My dad has always been there for me (my mom passed away when I was 11). With six boys and a daughter my dad was concerned that I would never marry and relentlessly encouraged me to find a partner. "Is this the one?" he would nudge me in the kitchen when I brought a boyfriend home for Sunday dinner.

And then Greg came into my life and when he came to dinner my dad didn't ask if he was the one, he cornered me in the kitchen and said "This is the one." And he was right. My dad will spend more time with my husband doing stuff then he does with my older brothers. My dad has seven grandchildren yet he is more devoted to our son Steven then to any other grandchild.

Like Nikki and Jill, some of us are graced with wonderful parents. I wish everyone had such love and support.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Oct 3, 2012 12:26:51 PM

9. Absolutely beautiful and heartwarming. Cue the 2000 Mom boycott of Expedia.

Posted by: jamesintoronto | Oct 3, 2012 1:15:51 PM

10. Beautiful.

Posted by: Francis | Oct 3, 2012 1:18:57 PM

11. Hire this media team for MN, WA, MD and ME. Once anyone and especially women attend a gay wedding and see all the love they will be for the freedom to marry. This video does just that. Kudos to Expedia my new travel company. So long Orbitz.

Posted by: fred karger | Oct 3, 2012 2:05:46 PM

12. that's what it all comes down to - what's more important? holding onto your learned-concepts of prejudice, or holding on to your family. there is no room for both.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Oct 3, 2012 2:14:12 PM

13. Fred...no need to ditch Orbitz...they were the pioneer in running gay-themed ads on mainstream television (as well as on Logo).
    They still have a GLBT-specific part of their web site for gay travel.

There is room for both.

BTW...not entirely unexpected given the CEO of Expedia is Barry Diller.

Posted by: Alex | Oct 3, 2012 2:56:42 PM

14. @ OS2GUY,

Great story, lucky you, it made me cry, thanks for sharing.

Posted by: jsb | Oct 3, 2012 7:29:51 PM

15. Profound and moving - thank you!

Posted by: Steve | Oct 3, 2012 8:16:02 PM

16. Totally cried. I liked it a lot and found it very touching. Great story to share. Best wishes to Jill & Nikki!

Posted by: C | Oct 4, 2012 5:41:51 AM

17. Expedia for all my travel from now on! Very, very powerful and sweet!

Posted by: JD | Oct 4, 2012 11:53:28 AM