Comments

1. Jim says

To me, this is instantly a classic James Bond theme. It incorporates the title into the lyrics. It has the 4 note James Bond Theme motif. The song is in the right minor key. Adele’s vocals are smashing, the orchestra is great, you can just picture the silhouetted bodies floating during the titles. It brings back memories of another British Bond diva, Shirley Bassey. Bravo Adele!

2. Jim says

3. Stefan says

The Bond motif seems a little too heavy handed in this one. The best James Bond songs could actually stand alone as good records (or at least karaoke classics :). I’m doubtful this would actually translate well as a pop record, though I think Adele was a good choice.

4. Chris K says

I hate the newer Bond movies, and the themes haven’t been too memorable either, but this is pretty good. Her voice sounds great. I like the verses a lot better than the chorus though.

5. says

It’s the best Bond theme since World Is Not Enough, but Adele’s vocals seem forced and a little anemic in the recording I heard. Hopefully that’s just because it was taken from an FM radio. Definitely a step in the right direction for the theme music, let’s just hope the film shows as much improvement. (I’m not counting on it.)

6. woodroad34 says

Everything everyone has said is very true: it’s atmospheric, has great vocals and orchestration, it evokes Shirley Bassey as the quintessential Bondian song, yet the lyrics (other than the word “Skyfall”) don’t really give a clue or act as an umbilical to the movie. I suppose that’s to keep it singular as a standalone song.

7. Dame Shurley says

Love Adele, hate the song. Too slow and ponderous, with her voice ending up buried under what sounds like a synthesizer. Boring. As bad as the Bond films have been for the last 20 years.

8. Alex says

Please Adele…take care of your voice and health. If nothing else…stop smoking immediately and completely !! and drink only moderately. Hydrate constantly, go on vocal rest whenever possible and use steam and humidifiers to preserve your instrument so you can use it for years to come. So sad when young singers lose their voices so early when some simple actions could have preserved their voices for years.. a la Streisand…..and sadly not like Whitney (who I loved too)….Please Adele..set the example for young singers…you’re a gift to us. Thank you…Your fans.

9. Icebloo says

Well it’s better than the last few Bond themes which were so average I have forgotten them all but this is also very, very bland.

Madonna’s pathetic attempt was definitely the worst Bond theme of all time.

10. Michael says

I think it’s pretty good. Like somebody else said, the verses are much stronger than the chorus. It’s also predictably loyal to mood of Bond themes, so the song could be more exciting in that regard. However, her vocals are really selling the hell out of it. Great vibrato and phrasing.

11. Jase says

And the Oscar goes to…Adele!

Let’s not kid ourselves. Whether the song is good or not, Adele has the Best original Song Oscar locked up next February.

12. Ron says

A vast improvement over recent Bond themes…love the incorporation of the 4 note Bond theme and the big fat trombone blasts, so reminiscent of the Bassey days…not all it needs is naked bodies over some Maurice Binder titles…

13. Ted B. (Charging Rhino) says

Wow… That’s a Bond Theme.
    A great complimentary-bookend to Casino Royale’s “You Know My name”. We’ll just forget about “Quantum of Solace”s theme exists….

14. Guy says

“Madonna’s pathetic attempt was definitely the worst Bond theme of all time.”

I nominate Sheryl Crow’s “Tomorrow Never Dies” as the worst yet. She just did not have enough voice to sing it.

15. Tarc says

I find it really funny that several people mentioned how highly they thought of Duran Duran’s Bond theme. When it came out, most people *hated* it. Seriously hated. But it was different than what had come previously, so the reaction was strong. I lied it then and now, but still don’t hold it up as amazing. I much prefer this, I think – it’s just so recognizably, unrefutably Bond.

16. bostonbeat says

This is a classic (if just a tad boring) Bond song. It’s not a pop song like Madonna’s, Paul McCartney’s or Carly Simon’s versions. I’m enjoying it but not as a song to listen to on the radio…