Chris Kluwe | Football (American) | Gay Marriage | Minneapolis | Minnesota | News | Sports

BigGayDeal.com

Minnesota Vikings Punter Chris Kluwe to Debate Empty Chair on Marriage Equality

Vikings punter and marriage equality advocate plans to debate an empty chair on the subject of marriage equality this evening if nobody materializes to sit in it, Gannett reports:

Chris_kluweBilled as "Chris Kluwe vs. The Chair," Kluwe will take the stage at downtown Minneapolis' The Brave New Workshop Comedy Theatre to share his views against Minnesota's Same Sex Marriage Amendment, Amendment 1, which if passed, would limit legal marriage in that state between a man and a woman.

In addition to Congresswoman Michelle Bachmann and numerous other politicians who support the amendment, organizers also invited Kluwe's former teammate Matt Birk to discuss the amendment. Since none of those people agreed to come to the event, Kluwe decided to appear with the chair and a local radio host serving as moderator.

The debate is being streamed live at The Uptake starting at 5 pm (CT, we presume, since it's in Minneapolis).

Comments

1. Dang I love this guy.

Posted by: Stefan | Oct 19, 2012 2:29:25 PM

2. He is not doing much to help me keep my resolution to not develop crushes on straight guys.

Posted by: swellster | Oct 19, 2012 3:10:15 PM

3. WHY DOESN'T HE JUST AUCTION OFF ONE OF HIS STINKY, SWEATY JOCKSTRAPS ON E-BAY AND DONATE THE PROCEEDS.

Posted by: THE QUEEN | Oct 19, 2012 5:21:59 PM

4. LOL@THE QUEEN,

you're still a mess, chile. The bidding would go so high that neither one of us could afford it. Rick would empty his entire savings account for it. He'd put it over his face to smell a "real man" :-)

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 19, 2012 5:40:08 PM

5. lol

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Oct 19, 2012 8:47:12 PM

6. But President Obama is for marriage equality?

Posted by: Blake | Oct 20, 2012 4:47:20 AM

7. Unfortunately, at this time every time I think about a debate with an empty chair I think of Eastwood at the Republican National Convention:(

As it is, however, I support anything Kluwe does to help us.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Oct 20, 2012 6:45:31 AM

8. That was a great comment from Derrick. Gave me my first real laugh of the day.

Posted by: Gabe R L | Oct 20, 2012 1:21:31 PM

9. @Swellster:

I can understand. If he were ugly, mean and insensitive it would be easy not to. But since he is gorgeous, kind and sensitive it is a problem. And while I'm certain so far that Kluwe is not gay, and almost certain he is not bi, I can't help but wonder if he is 'susceptible' or at least has 'tendencies' the way I can't help but wonder about these pretty straight-identified men who stick up for gay rights. Still he is most likely basically though not totally straight, so one has to be careful.

I admire guys like him and Ben Cohen, and Scott the wrestler for what they do, they want their lives to have meaning beyond the fact that they played a sport decently, and that is good.

Posted by: Gabe R L | Oct 20, 2012 1:29:22 PM

10. Actually Gabe, "I can't help but wonder if he is 'susceptible' or at least has 'tendencies' the way I can't help but wonder about these pretty straight-identified men who stick up for gay rights."
    I think you are precisely wrong here. The fact that these people are NOT hiding anything IS the reason they are willing to be publicly pro-gay rights. Take Ben Cohen for example: if he had been in the closet, he'd have certainly come out by now. But he isn't. But, he has a concern about the injustices suffered by LGBT youth so he's doing something about it. The difference between Kluwe & Ayanbadejo and the other members of the NFL - who are course mostly straight, too - is that only a minority of people have the morale compass to stand up against the status quo with unpopular (well, still perceived as such, in the "conservative" world of pro sports) opinions on controversial issue. I bet at the time of integration in the 1960s, only a small fraction of white NFL players dared to speak about the erstwhile situation in the South.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Oct 20, 2012 5:58:03 PM

11. @The Queen: We're actually in the process of auctioning off dinner with him for this coming Friday and 100% of the proceeds will go to Minnesotans United for All Families. http://www.ebay.com/itm/160902907562

Posted by: Keane | Oct 21, 2012 6:16:12 PM

12. By the way, in case some of you don't know, Kluwe's brother-in-law is gay.

When family is gay more than likely they will be supported. It's that simple. Doesn't matter if they are straight women or straight men, when family loves you and cares for you, they will stick up for you.

I have many STRAIGHT MEN who are my friends and are very supported of me and GLBT equality.

Posted by: FunMe | Oct 22, 2012 1:16:50 AM

13. I meant "supportive" not supported. :-)

Posted by: FunMe | Oct 22, 2012 1:17:27 AM

14. Acutally, men like Cohen and Kluwe can speak as they do because they are safe; typically married or possess a noted history with women, so no one questions their sexual orientation. I'm sorry to rain on anyone's parade, but this is the way i see it. And I also know of STRAIGHT MEN who support gay rights and are seen as straight allies, but i tend to find out that they have a lot of man action on the side. And before I get labelled a troll, this has been my life experience.

I will say that I am willing to give these men the benefit of the doubt. Regardless of their sexuality or 'tendencies' what they are doing is brave and wonderful, especially when even gay men (like Rupert Everett) seem to work alongside the bigots.

Posted by: Gabe R L | Oct 22, 2012 8:15:42 PM

15. I will close out by saying that 'tendencie' are not the same thing has preferences i.e, it definitely does not mean homosexual, andv it probably does not mean bisexual.

Posted by: Gabe R L | Oct 22, 2012 8:24:09 PM