Ali Forney | Carl Siciliano | Hurricane Sandy | New York | News

BigGayDeal.com

Ali Forney Center For LGBT Youth Destroyed By Sandy

Ali_Forney_flood_insertThis is a huge blow to an already bloated, under-funded network of support for homeless or displaced LGBT youth here in New York City: the Ali Forney Center on 22nd Street between 10th and 11th Avenues was completely flooded during last week's Hufficane Sandy.

From executive director Carl Siciliano:

Yesterday we were finally able to inspect our drop-in center in Chelsea, half a block from the Hudson River. Our worst fears were realized; everything was destroyed and the space is uninhabitable. The water level went four feet high, destroying our phones, computers, refrigerator, food and supplies.

This is a terrible tragedy for the homeless LGBT youth we serve there. This space was dedicated to our most vulnerable kids, the thousands stranded on the streets without shelter, and was a place where they received food, showers, clothing, medical care, HIV testing and treatment, and mental health and substance abuse services. Basically a lifeline for LGBT kids whose lives are in danger.

We are currently scrambling for a plan to provide care to these desperate kids while we prepare to ultimately move into a larger space that will better meet our needs. The NYC LGBT Center has very kindly and generously offered to let us temporarily use some of their space, and we hope to determine the viability of that on Monday.

We have been deluged with kind offers from people who wish to volunteer and donate goods. Unfortunately, we will have to provide our services in the time being in much smaller spaces that won't accommodate volunteers or allow for much storage space. The best way people can reach out to help in this very challenging time is by making monetary donations. Please go to our website.

It is heartbreaking to see this space come to such a sad end. For the past seven years it has been a place of refuge to thousands of kids reeling from being thrown away by their parents for being LGBT. For many of these kids coming to our drop-in center provided  their first encounter with a loving and affirming LGBT community. I thank all of you for your care and support in a most difficult time.

Those of you who want to donate to help the center rebuild should click HERE.

[Image via Washington Blade]

Comments

1. @Andrew,

Thank you.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 4, 2012 8:05:36 PM

2. Umm ANDREW: I'm not an idiot. I was commenting on his original posts, not the obvious fake ones that anyone with a brain can figure out are clearly not written by him. Thanks for being patronizing though.

@RATBASTARD: Thanks for pointing out what you believe I am...an "ideolog". For the record, I'm left of center on social issues, and right of center (but not in a harsh GOP way) on economic issues. But you know so much and have everyone "pegged", so whatever.

Posted by: BETTY | Nov 4, 2012 8:18:55 PM

3. *actually, more center than right.

Posted by: BETTY | Nov 4, 2012 8:22:31 PM

4. Although I know little about the Ali Forney Center, I did donate to it last May, and regret to hear that it had this setback. As to comments about why they locate the Center in Manhattan, I would guess that this has to do with locating the shelter where the surrounding community will accept it. Not only are homeless kids housed here, but GAY homeless kids. It's not like all places would be welcoming. The people who started the shelter must be as aware of economics as anyone else.

And Ratbastard, I don't mean to be insensitive. My heart goes out to anyone who lost a parent, especially in a violent way. But "black" didn't kill him. A handful of people who happened to be black did. I'm sure most black people would be horrified by what happened to your Dad.

Posted by: Mary | Nov 4, 2012 10:41:15 PM

5. @Betty: Sorry you think that I was patrionizing, but you often seem to be in lock step with Little Kiwi who is a dishonest poster on this site. He frequently posts ridiculous post in other people's names. He is a mean spirited leftist, which I didn't know existed until I started reading posts on this site. As a lifelong liberal, I thought that the liberals were always on the side of the angels, until the reality of wicked and mean spirited people like Little Kiwi came to my attention.

Posted by: andrew | Nov 4, 2012 10:46:08 PM

6. I'm hardly in lock step with Kiwi. I just get tired of Jason/Rick/Ratbastard's sermons from the mount and their so-called knowledge. They confuse their opinion with actual facts.

Posted by: BETTY | Nov 4, 2012 11:11:58 PM

7. @Betty: Your criticism of Jason/Rick/Ratbastard is absolutely accurate and applies equally to Little Kiwi.

Posted by: andrew | Nov 4, 2012 11:56:54 PM

8. @Mary,

I SAID A GROUP OF YOUNG BLACK MALES HURT HIM. I DIDN'T BLAME ALL BLACK PEOPLE AND I'M NOT RACIST. I HOLD NO GRUDGE AGAINST BLACK PEOPLE IN GENERAL.

Little Kiwi frequently trolls using my name.

There are some white people who need to get a grip; it's OK to criticize black, Asian, Hispanic racist or bad behavior the same way it's OK to criticize it in white people. IT DOESN'T MEAN YOU [OR THE WHITE PERSON SAYING IT] IS 'RACIST'. Get a d*mn backbone; intelligent black, Hispanic and Asian people might respect you more.

And it's OK to criticize homosexuals, bisexuals, trans whatever, politicians on the left and right, sacred cows in general. It doesn't mean you're a 'Hater', or some sort [fill in the blank-ist]. Constantly accusing people of being a [fill in the blank]-ist is simply a lame and facile way of not having to respond to generally legitimate concerns and questions. It's a CONTROL mechanism, same as twisted P.C. language

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 5, 2012 11:07:42 AM

9. @Mary,

Little Kiwi frequently trolls using my name.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 5, 2012 11:07:47 AM

10. Thx for the link, TR. Gotta get it back up and running.

Posted by: PostPonyPhase | Nov 5, 2012 1:29:40 PM

11. I just want to add that the other drop-in center for homeless LGBT youth in Manhattan, the New Alternatives Center on Christopher Street, was also decimated by Sandy and also desperately needs support in the form of money or food donations or volunteers to help with their programs including a Sunday suppers for LGBT homeless youth. The director, Kate Barnhart, just emailed me that "the kids are VERY hungry. They ate 20 large pizzas yesterday." While they normally make and serve healthier dinners than pizzas, if they had the resources, I'm pretty sure they'd have bought 40 large pizzas, or 100, and there are definitely more than enough hungry LGBT kids without homes in the area to eat them.

So please consider also donating to New Alternatives: