Canada | Football (American) | News | Sports | Toronto

Toronto Football Players Say a Gay Teammate Would Present Challenges, But They Would Welcome One: VIDEO

Eppele

Canada's Xtra caught up with Toronto Argonauts offensive lineman Joe Eppele and wide receiver Mike Bradwell at a practice last Friday ahead of their Canadian Football League playoff game, and spoke with the two players about homophobia in the sport..

Bradwell_eppeleSaid Eppele: "Unfortunately I think it is still something that is a reality with teams and there are issues stemming from the stubborn jock mentality that some of the guys still hold on to, but I definitely think more people are becoming more open-minded....There are gay and lesbian athletes out there, they probably just don't feel comfortable at the moment to come out."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. yes, it would be difficult for them. getting over being associated publicly with the CFL is still priority number one.

Posted by: vwdavy | Nov 20, 2012 8:28:55 AM

2. The description: "Added Bradwell, of having a gay teammate: "I can't lie and say it would be easy. But I think it would be accepted. I think we're growing as a society." is kinda misleading..he was talking about the coming out of the player not how he(Bradwell) feels about having a team mate being gay.

Posted by: jayjay | Nov 20, 2012 8:29:57 AM

3. What year is this? Couple of douchbags pondering their delicate comfort zones around gays - YOU'RE THE ONES WITH THE PROBLEMS FELLAS!

Posted by: Bill | Nov 20, 2012 8:56:57 AM

4. They probably already have a gay teammate and don't know it.

Posted by: Jack M | Nov 20, 2012 9:01:32 AM

5. Challenges? Yep. He'd probably be better than they are.

Posted by: jomicur | Nov 20, 2012 9:10:57 AM

6. Here's the thing: straight guys assume that, were there a gay guy in the locker room (um, there probably is...) then they'd feel compromised. Like they wouldn't be able to bend over naked and show their butt-hole as freely as before. NEWSFLASH: just because we're gay doesn't mean we're gonna jump you in the locker room. Heck, we might not even be attracted to you. Believe that!

Posted by: Gigi | Nov 20, 2012 9:29:59 AM

7. I'm trying to envision the difficulties they might have, but I'm coming up short. Help me out here.

Posted by: anon | Nov 20, 2012 10:17:55 AM

8. Unless they are planning on having sex with them in the locker room, I don't see what the "challenge" might be.

Posted by: niles | Nov 20, 2012 4:30:00 PM

9. Joe and Mike seem like two good guys. Reasonable and open minded.

Posted by: andrew | Nov 20, 2012 9:27:24 PM

10. Joe Eppele, you've just displaced Brett Lawrie as my #1 TO sports crush.

Posted by: foobar | Nov 22, 2012 10:39:01 PM