News | Science

Creationists Ain't Going To Like This: VIDEO

Earth24

Mitchell Moffit and Gregory Brown from AsapSCIENCE put together this video compressing the planet's 4.5 billion years of history into the span of 24 hours. We're only a little after noon.

Watch and learn AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. 48 billion years? The Universe itself is only roughly 13 billion years old...

Posted by: esperando | Nov 29, 2012 9:06:26 AM

2. Ditto what esperando said... the video itself says 4.5 billion years, not 48 billion years...

Posted by: joe | Nov 29, 2012 9:09:08 AM

3. It's 4.5 billion. The dot is a little hard to see.

Posted by: Richard | Nov 29, 2012 9:09:14 AM

4. I think 4.8 billion would be closer to the mark, or would you like to supersize that?

Posted by: MikeW | Nov 29, 2012 9:09:31 AM

5. he said 3.8 billion

Posted by: HM2 Matt | Nov 29, 2012 9:10:26 AM

6. Ugh. I love you Andy Towle, but you are badly in need of a professional editor. Mr. Belonsky: did you even watch the video? It clearly said/wrote 4.5 billion years. And your screenshot even says as much.

I'm thinking maybe I should stop coming here on Thursdays. Even the weekends are going downhill :-(

Posted by: Lars | Nov 29, 2012 9:12:08 AM

7. He says earth is 4.5 billion years old, life is 3.8 billion years old...

Posted by: joe | Nov 29, 2012 9:12:47 AM

8. Ah

Posted by: HM2 Matt | Nov 29, 2012 9:15:07 AM

9. D'oh! Just an honest mistake. Thanks guys.

Posted by: Andrew Belonsky | Nov 29, 2012 9:18:58 AM

10. If all of the history of life was represented by the Eiffel Tower, then humanity would be the thin coating of paint at the top of the knob at the highest point.

(I think Mark Twain said this a long time ago.)

Posted by: put in perspective | Nov 29, 2012 9:50:27 AM

11. @Lars - LOL. I was just saying the same thing on the recent Dr. Oz article about a copy editor. Again I offer my assistance, TR! @stephen_victor

Posted by: Stephen | Nov 29, 2012 9:54:36 AM

12. Carl Sagan did it better: http://youtu.be/Ln8UwPd1z20

Posted by: benjamin | Nov 29, 2012 11:22:26 AM

13. They have a walk through cosmic history at the Hayden Planetarium in NYC. You get to mark off time as you walk with major events shown on the railing. Creationists are well away of what science is trying to say. The important thing is to teach kids what science is trying to say and why it's relatively unbiased methods should be the trusted authority on the matter.

Posted by: anon | Nov 29, 2012 11:31:05 AM

14. Their videos are probably great AV material to help elementary school teachers of science explain complicated material to youngsters.

Posted by: andrew | Nov 29, 2012 11:34:18 AM

15. Lars- Drama much? If you can't tolerate a typo once in a while, perhaps you need to spend less time on the internet. ;)

Posted by: jexer | Nov 29, 2012 11:39:52 AM

16. I love this series of videos. And I think I have developed a crush on the narrator's voice.

Posted by: Kevin_BGFH | Nov 29, 2012 2:34:45 PM

17. I agree with Benjamin - Carl Sagan did it better and much simpler and clearer, in fact, and he did it some two decades ago with just a metamorphosing single continuous line drawing (Cosmos)

Posted by: Manny Espinola | Nov 29, 2012 2:42:52 PM

18. Thank you Andy for that. Shared it. You rock!

Posted by: Bobby | Nov 30, 2012 11:34:15 AM