2012 Election | Mitt Romney | News

BigGayDeal.com

Disheveled Mitt Romney Spotted Pumping Gas in La Jolla: PHOTO

Gas_romney

Mitt Romney was spotted pumping gas in La Jolla, California, near one of his many homes:

"Mitt Romney at my local gas station," Reddit user mkb95 wrote. "He looks tired and washed up."

Romney's hair appears to be slightly frazzled, unlike the slicked-back coif he sported on the trail—though it's nothing like Al Gore's post-2000-election-loss beard. Other Reddit users countered that the former Massachusetts governor merely looked annoyed at having his photo taken at the pump.

"I talked to him for a good three minutes while he was filling his tank," the photographer added. "I guess he's moving to one of his houses in the town I live in, La Jolla."

In related news, Hank Plante writes for the SF Chronicle about the Romneys' plan to settle there, noting that it's a not so "red" area with many gay families:

But it is also in La Jolla where the local Democratic councilwoman was just re-elected, giving the San Diego City Council a 5-4 Democratic majority. And it is in La Jolla where the longtime Republican congressman was just beaten by a Democrat.

And it is in La Jolla where, according to the New York Times, there are six gay households within a three-block radius of the Romneys' $12 million home.

This is not to mention that La Jolla is part of the bluest of blue states, California, where Republican registration just fell below 30 percent, and where voters said "yes" to a tax increase on people just like the Romneys.

So what gives? If you are the Romneys, then why not settle in a red state where people love you? What's wrong with Alabama, Mississippi or even Utah? Simply put, when it comes down to it, Mitt and Ann Romney seem to want the same things that so many others seek in California living: a tolerant, open, environmentally beautiful place to live that we're not afraid to pay for.

Comments

1. Actually he looks drunk, but the thought of a drunken Mitt would give me nightmares. So he gets the benefit of the doubt on this single score.

"Environmentally beautiful" is the sort of writing that made me stop reading The Chronicle.

The Romneys couldn't care less about living near gays. He tried to toe the party line, and everyone realized that he doesn't have a moral compass. He will say and do anything, when he might have won if he'd not been a lying, two-faced hypocrite.

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 20, 2012 10:55:41 AM

2. How very appropriate for a Global Warming denier. Guess Romney decided to subsidize the oil companies on his own terms

Posted by: Gast | Nov 20, 2012 10:56:49 AM

3. I'm shocked that he pumps his own gas. Doesn't he have "people" to do that for him?

Posted by: d | Nov 20, 2012 11:03:22 AM

4. We don't want him here. Please go away.

Posted by: Billy | Nov 20, 2012 11:03:23 AM

5. In that picture he looks like a crazy coot who's about to start shaking his fist at you and yelling. "You d*mn kids get off my lawn!"

Posted by: Caliban | Nov 20, 2012 11:11:24 AM

6. Someone's looking a little Gary Busey'ish...LOL!!! politics too much for you Willard?!?

Posted by: JOHNNY | Nov 20, 2012 11:11:34 AM

7. There goes the neighborhood!

I wonder how long it took to get rid of all that gel and hair colorant? Notice the man's a bit more grey than before?

Posted by: Burt | Nov 20, 2012 11:13:07 AM

8. Reminds me of this cartoon of Louis XIV. When you take a way the robes of state and the high wig and the buckles and jewels, it's just an old man remaining.

Posted by: hugo | Nov 20, 2012 11:19:27 AM

9. La Jolla is within the City of San Diego where there are plenty of hardcore conservatives (remember Doug Manchester? - who now owns the local newspaper). There is a large population of Mormons there and their La Jolla temple is hard to miss as you drive down the 5 freeway. Also suburban San Diego County is very conservative (not much different than adjacent Orange County) especially with all the military bases there.

I'm sure Mitt will not use that address as his primary residence so he can avoid getting taxed up the ass. He's not as stupid as his campaign managers made him appear to be.

Posted by: Craig | Nov 20, 2012 11:27:47 AM

10. Mitt, you're done. Time to retire.

Posted by: Jack M | Nov 20, 2012 11:30:25 AM

11. He doesn't drink any alcohol.

What is so hypocritical: I've lived in California for 30 years, and Jerry Brown is EASILY the best governor of that entire period. The Republicans used him as an example of poor leadership when the opposite is surely true.

Another example of the idiocy that is Mitt Romney....

Posted by: TonyJazz | Nov 20, 2012 11:33:53 AM

12. Even losers need gas.

Posted by: johnny | Nov 20, 2012 12:02:14 PM

13. @ D Exactly what I was thinking!

Posted by: Will | Nov 20, 2012 12:23:32 PM

14. Stop being such sore, ungracious winners. He lost. Obama won. Such petty comments from a bunch of queens.

Posted by: Sean | Nov 20, 2012 12:24:06 PM

15. Sean's comment is a little oxymoronic. "Stop being ungracious," as he calls you petty queens.

No wonder your party lost Ms. Anne wannabe.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Nov 20, 2012 12:28:22 PM

16. I could run into him anywhere. At the UTC Mall, at the Trader Joe's in La Jolla, Milton's in Del Mar ... I should always have wrapped packages in the back of my truck just in case so I could show him the "gifts" Obama gave me to vote for him.

Posted by: Joe B. | Nov 20, 2012 12:43:39 PM

17. Come on people, it was windy yesterday here in San Diego. I can't stand him but give me a break.

Posted by: Larry | Nov 20, 2012 12:47:14 PM

18. I strongly disagreed with most of Mitt Romney's positions and voted against him. But it's time to let him be.

Posted by: Matt | Nov 20, 2012 12:50:49 PM

19. San Diego is probably more welcoming to him than his former 'home' state Massachusetts, especially Boston, which not only voted solidly Obama, but had unusually cold and wet weather the night of his election loss. I'm sure he couldn't wait to hop on his jet and fly 'home' to San Diego.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 20, 2012 12:57:45 PM

20. San Diego is probably more welcoming to him than his former 'home' state Massachusetts, especially Boston, which not only voted solidly Obama, but had unusually cold and wet weather the night of his election loss. I'm sure he couldn't wait to hop on his jet and fly 'home' to San Diego.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 20, 2012 12:57:46 PM

21. You'd think he'd have staff for this kind of thing -- isn't he supposed to be a job-creator?

Posted by: TC | Nov 20, 2012 12:58:30 PM

22. Standing right there is the bullet we missed. Whew.

Posted by: UFFDA | Nov 20, 2012 1:01:48 PM

23. No surprise seeing Mitt in San Diego. Conservatives love them some San Diego and Orange County.

Posted by: anonny6 | Nov 20, 2012 1:04:30 PM

24. My friends live almost next-door to his over priced cottage. The horror of seeing this creep the next time I visit!

Posted by: BRAINS | Nov 20, 2012 1:04:48 PM

25. If he did not dive in the fundamentalist sewage he would of been president. Now Marco Rubio wants to dive in the sewage to make him unelectable.

Posted by: Matt Munson | Nov 20, 2012 1:26:22 PM