Donald Trump | News

BigGayDeal.com

Donald Trump Fires Back at Petition Calling for Macy's to Dump Him, Starts Twitter War with Cher

Yesterday I reported that a petition urging Macy's to dump Donald Trump had gathered nearly a half million signatures. Currently as of this posting, the number of signatures is up to 558,707.

TrumpWrite the petition's creators:

Donald Trump does not reflect the "magic of Macy's." We urge you to sever ties with him. Macy's says it has a strong obligation to be "socially responsible" and that "actions speak louder than words." Indeed. It's time to act.

Macy's has a special deal with Donald Trump. They invest in developing Trump's brand and sell his clothing line and fragrance at their locations. To this end, they have had major events at Macy's Herald Square location and they often feature and promote Trump in advertisements designed to celebrate the magic of Macy's. Recently, Macy's CEO Terry Lundgren sent Donald Trump a letter touting how excited Macy's was to be working with Trump and promising to expand Trump's brand even further than it already is. But, why is Macy's celebrating Trump?

Trump's spokesman is firing back at the petition's creator:

“What I find incredulous is that the creator of the petition is protecting his First Amendment right to free speech while simultaneously trying to impede upon Mr. Trump’s,” Michael Cohen, executive vice president and special counsel to Trump, told Celebuzz. “It’s ironic.”

“I question the legitimacy and accuracy of the website and the number of signatures claimed to have joined this petition,” he added. “Regardless, The Trump Organization values its longstanding relationship with Macy’s and looks forward to many more years of continued success.”

CherAnd Cher has entered the fray:

One of his critics is Cher, who tweeted on Monday, “I’ll NEVER GO TO MACY’S AGAIN ! I didnt know they sold Donald Trump’s Line! If they don’t care that they sell products from a LOUDMOUTH RACIST CRETIN,WHO’D LIE LIKE “HIS RUG”TO GET SOME CHEAP PRESS ! I CANT BELIEVE MACY’S THINKS HE’S THE RIGHT “MAN” 2 REPRESENT THEIR NAME!”

Needless to say, the feud-loving Trump struck back.

On Tuesday, he wrote to Cher, “I don’t wear a “rug”—it’s mine. And I promise not to talk about your massive plastic surgeries that didn’t work.”

Trump added, “It’s amazing how people can talk about me but I’m not allowed to talk about them.”

Comments

1. I am unhappy with Macys Quality and Serice and will be returning 4K worth of Furniture. This was just enough to make it worth the effort.

Posted by: Jacques Rosasj | Nov 14, 2012 10:19:53 AM

2. I'm not certain I believe Cher ever shopped at Macy's.

Posted by: JonB | Nov 14, 2012 10:27:18 AM

3. And the always-classy Trump never misses the opportunity to "respond" to his critics in a thoughtfull way.

Hopefully sales of Trump merchandise will fall off and Macy's can get out of their deal with him.

Posted by: e.c. | Nov 14, 2012 10:27:32 AM

4. "“It’s amazing how people can talk about me but I’m not allowed to talk about them.”

Since when? "Feuding" is one reason for his notoriety.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Nov 14, 2012 10:29:34 AM

5. That was a fair enough rejoinder of Trumps who is entirely welcome to talk back which his complete want of dignity encourages.

Posted by: UFFDA | Nov 14, 2012 10:31:08 AM

6. WAIT.

Cher had plastic surgery?

Posted by: jtramon | Nov 14, 2012 10:35:00 AM

7. The Trump shows his idiocy again. The First Amendment doesn't mean that you can say whatever you want and privately-owned businesses have to maintain their business ties with you.

You're more than free to speak out against them in return, but petitioning Macy's to dump you does not implicate the First Amendment in the slightest.

Posted by: Jack | Nov 14, 2012 10:38:03 AM

8. "What I find incredulous is that the creator of the petition is protecting his First Amendment right to free speech while simultaneously trying to impede upon Mr. Trump’s."

How is this a violation of Trump's right to free speech?

It's like Chick-fil-A all over again.

For Constitution lovers, they sure don't understand much of it.

I'm so sick of the right wing's "I'm not allowed to talk back rhetoric." THAT'S ALL THEY DO.

Posted by: kpo5 | Nov 14, 2012 10:39:42 AM

9. So Trump is supposedly so wealthy and hires a spokesman who doesn't know the difference between "incredulous" and "incredible". Not surprising that one idiot hires another.

Posted by: silverkjk | Nov 14, 2012 10:39:49 AM

10. REMINDER: Trump's products are all made overseas. You know, because he hates that American jobs are being shipped outside the U.S. and wants a 25% tariff on imports. Ugh, what a foolio.

Posted by: Drew | Nov 14, 2012 10:52:37 AM

11. Donald Racist Trump doesn't have a First Amendment right to be employed by Macy's. His publicist is an idiot. Big surprise.

Posted by: David in Houston | Nov 14, 2012 11:06:01 AM

12. Most of the people signing the petition are on welfare and cant afford Macy's anyway. Macy's demographic likes Trump.

Posted by: Ron J | Nov 14, 2012 11:06:47 AM

13. To say I dislike Donald Trump and everything he stands for is to put it mildly. But I would no more sign that petition than I would have signed the one trying to get Ellen fired from her J C Penny job.

Posted by: andrew | Nov 14, 2012 11:16:47 AM

14. I'm with Andrew on this one. Trump is a pompous ass and if you don't like his stuff don't buy it!

Posted by: Will | Nov 14, 2012 11:22:33 AM

15. Trump can say whatever he wants. its refreshing to hear his honest & accurate perspective.

Posted by: JR | Nov 14, 2012 11:26:00 AM

16. Poor Trump's freedom of speech suppressed. I mean, when do we ever get to hear from him?

Posted by: Mikemike | Nov 14, 2012 11:27:11 AM

17. Trump is like an internet TROLL....
    Stop feeding him
    Listening to him
    He's entirely irrelevant unless you give him the power!!

Posted by: Greg | Nov 14, 2012 11:29:47 AM

18. @Jr: Mabye you can tell us what the detectives that Donald Trump sent to Hawaii last year found out about Obama's birth. He said they discovered very interesting and important things but never revealed them. What do you make of that?

Posted by: andrew | Nov 14, 2012 11:31:37 AM

19. i'm with cher, he's an ass, there are plenty of other places to shop, i don't miss macy"s at all and i worked there years ago

Posted by: capetom | Nov 14, 2012 11:38:04 AM

20. All Macy's need to say is your FIRED!

Posted by: KSBrian | Nov 14, 2012 11:51:55 AM

21. The Donald can flap his lips all he wants. Clearly from his comments nobody's taking that away from him. He's just digging his grave with Macy's deeper. Pretty soon they'll see him as a liability and dump him like last year's fashions. Mark it down and move it out!

Posted by: cbhermey | Nov 14, 2012 11:52:17 AM

22. It was a beneficial workout for me to go through your webpage. It definitely stretches the limits with the mind when you go through very good info and make an effort to interpret it properly. I am going to glance up this web site usually on my PC. Thanks for sharing

Posted by: same day essay | Nov 14, 2012 11:55:30 AM

23. What I find INCREDIBLE, is that a lawyer, who must have stumbled his way through some sort of education, doesn't know the difference between the words "incredulous" and "incredible." Only people can be incredulous, not things or circumstances. Also, for a country that bellows so much about its first amendment, precious few people there seem to understand that vehemently disagreeing with someone is ALSO exercising the first amendment—not crushing someone else's. Or that selling stuff is not covered by that right. How often do we hear bigot shop-owners defended on the first amendment—that people who disagree with them should just shop elsewhere? Isn't that exactly the principle at work here?

Posted by: milou | Nov 14, 2012 12:25:04 PM

24. Trump is the new Coulter.

the man is scum.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Nov 14, 2012 12:43:50 PM

25. Macy's will only stop selling Trump's merchandise when it become unprofitable for them. They're in business.

While you and I (and Cher) may not buy Trump's poorly designed, cheaply made clothing line, it's probably selling rather well. Their partnership with Trump is undoubtedly highly profitable.

Posted by: Joe in CT | Nov 14, 2012 1:04:45 PM